Getting Rid Of Tar On The Paintwork

I drove on a road which was under constuction and have 'tar' splashes on one side of my car. I'm slowly getting rid of them using scratch remover. Is there a faster way? On the underside of the wheel arch is enough to build a road - any suggestions?

Cheers

N :o N

I drove on a road which was under constuction and have 'tar' splashes on one side of my car. I'm slowly getting rid of them using scratch remover. Is there a faster way? On the underside of the wheel arch is enough to build a road - any suggestions?

Cheers

N :o N

Kill oil with oil....

I'm not sure and maybe someone else knows better than me but try coconut- or normal cooking oil to remove the tar spots. Take a soft piece of cloth (cotton), put some oil on and rub softly....

Good luck

LaoPo

I did the same thing a while ago.

Went to the local car wash straightaway and they sprayed it with petrol and it came off in an instant.

Then like an idiot I did it again but didnt realise until a week later. Sticky stuff was right up in the wheel arch.

Local carwash were still able to work their magic with the petrol but it took a little more elbow grease.

Gasoline is a solvent, so there's no surprise that it would strip tar off. However, I'd be wary about using stuff that isn't made for the job since you may strip the paint right down to the bare metal as OldCroc says. Try a good wash/wax place...they may be able to help you out.

Edited by Thaiboxer

Yes, I have done it myself a couple of times recently, getting tar on the underside of the car that is! The local car wash uses diesel and elbow grease to remove the tar and after washing and polishing the car looks like new again. The standard car wash is 150 baht plus 300 baht for the diesel and elbow grease - worth every baht if you ask me.

Diesel fuel works quite well too and you don't have to worry about it exploding.

will petrol explode as you rub it on the tar spots then :o ..............only jokin!!

to op....im not sure scratch remover is ideal as im sure it is an abrasive and could take off laquer/paint if rub too much......but you have some good suggestions of alternatives....and again dont rub too hard,just enough to take the spot off.

Baby oil for paintwork splashes also good for removing tar on your feet if you picked up some walking on the beach.

Daffy.

:D

im confused.........................how does the tar get on the beach,have you gone mad daffy or am i missing something(a brain maybe) :o

Baby oil for paintwork splashes also good for removing tar on your feet if you picked up some walking on the beach.

Daffy.

im confused.........................how does the tar get on the beach,have you gone mad daffy or am i missing something(a brain maybe) :D

Wot? You never heard of pollution? :D

Oil slicks and all that washing up on the beach.

Lots of good hints already given but not all families on a day out on the beach carry bottles of diesel, petrol and terps but baby oil if you got kids is a must so good for removing tar from little Jonnies toes.

Just throwing out ideas. No one has to catch them. :o

Daffy.