I'm American: Can My Thai Wife Accompany Me On My Uk Student Visa?

I'm American and I may have a chance to study in the UK for 6 months next year, if I marry my Thai gf under Thai law, will she be able to accompany me to the UK without her having to go through the rigors of a tourist visa? I've heard its called a spouse or dependent visa or something, anyone know if it applies to Student Visas and if it's difficult to get?

She can certainly apply for such a visa. She will need to demonstrate that you are married, that you'll be studying in the UK, that you can maintain and accommodate yourselves in the UK and that she intends to leave the UK at the end of your course of studies.

Scouse.

She can certainly apply for such a visa. She will need to demonstrate that you are married, that you'll be studying in the UK, that you can maintain and accommodate yourselves in the UK and that she intends to leave the UK at the end of your course of studies.

Scouse.

That "intends to leave the UK" requirement you listed scares me- is it just as difficult as the UK 's tourist visa's standards? i.e. will I have to go through all that crap of employment reciepts, land ownership, bank statements, etc? I'm pretty sure she can't meet those standards of Western tourist visas, despite her owning a house, that's why I was hoping this spouse attachment to my Student Visa would work... :o Maybe I can send her material in with mine when I apply to the UK's Embassy in D.C., rather than having her do it separately in BKK (which obviously has stricter standards)?

Edited by RY12

As you intend to study in the UK, you are going to have to meet the intention to leave criterion too. I would suggest that generally speaking if you meet the criteria, then so will your wife.

What do you intend to do after your studies? Are you going back to Thailand or on to the US? Whichever, provide evidence that you'll be moving on.

Scouse.

As you intend to study in the UK, you are going to have to meet the intention to leave criterion too. I would suggest that generally speaking if you meet the criteria, then so will your wife.

What do you intend to do after your studies? Are you going back to Thailand or on to the US? Whichever, provide evidence that you'll be moving on.

Scouse.

I myself can easily prove I'll go back to the US, that's not a problem, but my wife will only have been married to me under Thai law, not US law, since she's never been to the US or another Western country. As you said, I'm sure she can prove she'll leave the UK if she was returning with me to the US, unfortunately she'll actually be returning to Thailand. Do you think that makes a difference?

If your marriage is registered at the amphur, it will be recognised as a valid in the US too. That said, there is nothing wrong with her returning to Thailand whilst you go back to the US, but she'll have to demonstrate that to the visa officer. What compelling reasons would your wife have to return to Thailand? Alternatively, why doesn't she seek to join you in the US at the conclusion of your studies in the UK?

Scouse.

If your marriage is registered at the amphur, it will be recognised as a valid in the US too. That said, there is nothing wrong with her returning to Thailand whilst you go back to the US, but she'll have to demonstrate that to the visa officer. What compelling reasons would your wife have to return to Thailand? Alternatively, why doesn't she seek to join you in the US at the conclusion of your studies in the UK?

Scouse.

Thanks for the continued postings Scouse :D Do they pay for this?

but she'll have to demonstrate that to the visa officer.

Is this "demonstration" of return as difficult to prove as if she was applying for a tourist visa alone? As I said before, I don't think she can meet the UK tourist visa's strict requirements, even though she owns a house in her name. I guess they presume she'll ditch me in the UK! :o

Alternatively, why doesn't she seek to join you in the US at the conclusion of your studies in the UK?

US immigration requires that a foreign spouse have a sponsor in her husband's home country, I'm a student so I can't meet that req, even if I wanted to get a co-sponsor it would take about 10 months and a lot of money to get the process through... right?

Edited by RY12

The demonstration is as difficult or straightforward as her circumstances dictate. Certainly to have ownership of a property is in her favour. The visa officer won't necessarily think the relationship is a sham. Providing that you can demonstrate that yours is a genuine relationship, then there is no reason for the visa officer to think that you would leave your wife in the UK.

I don't know what the US regulations are on this, but if they militate against your wife currently joining you there, then explain this to the UK visa officer. You can say that your wife will be returning to Thailand at the conclusion of your studies, and once you've established yourself in the States she will apply for a visa to settle there.

Scouse.

Why do all these visa stories have to end badly? I have yet to see one person who truly needed a visa on this forum get good news on the subject... in the end these rich jacka$$s doddering around Thailand get any visa they want for their girls, the rest of us just get kicked in the @ss by our arrogant countries' embassies. I've gone through like 5 different schemes where I could get to stay with my girl for more than the usual 3 weeks, just for a few months out of a year of loneliness... each one leads to a dead end where she ends up having to deal with some retard official who'll assume she's a prostitute cause her jobs are low pay or her bank account's small. I'm sick of it.

Well, thanks anyway scouse; I guess it's just another 3 years of 6 month-long waits punctuated by expensive flights to siam for me.

Edited by RY12

Unfortunately it is not the rich, business owning, home owning, car owning, family having Thai people that overstay in the US to work a low paying job. They figure that someone that is making many thousands of dollars each month will probably not give that up just to live in poverty in the US. On the other hand, a person making $200 a month would probably jump at the chance to live in poverty in the US and send home $1000+ each month, hence all the Mexicans coming across the border.

I think guys that are married to Thai woman and live and work in Thailand have more chances to get a visa. They have their home in Thailand and their Thai wife is not likely to remain in the US when their husband is in Thailand.

Just want to make sure you noticed in Scouser's post above that getting married legally in Thailand means that you are married in the US. Pretty much if you get married anywhere in the world, if it is recognized by the country you got married in, it will be recognized by the US. This might not be true for common law marriages and is not true for same sex marriages though.

Just want to make sure you noticed in Scouser's post above that getting married legally in Thailand means that you are married in the US. Pretty much if you get married anywhere in the world, if it is recognized by the country you got married in, it will be recognized by the US.

With regards to this, when I return to the States after getting married in Thailand, what kind of changes will I see? e.g. will I get hammered with letters telling me to change my documentation all over the place? Does the US become aware of my marriage upon getting the affidavit from the embassy or do I have to tell them about it? I'm just worried cause there's some people at my "permanent mailing adress" who I'd prefer not to know about my marriage... and I don't want them recieving and opening a bunch of my mail on the subject. [no, I do not already have a wife in the US :o ]

The Embassy merely notarizes your signature on the affidavit where you swear you are eligible to be married. There is no marriage registration at the federal government level.

No one in the US will know you are married unless you tell them.

TH

You say you have the chance to study in the UK for six months. Questions will be asked as to why you have to study in the UK. Is it something you could not do in the USA? That seems a very short period.

Your wife will have to apply for her visa for the UK here in Thailand. You can not apply on her behalf in the USA.

She will have to attend an interview in Bangkok similar to that for a tourist visa. Just like a tourist visa they will want to be assured that she will leave the UK at the end of the 6 months. There have been countless cases of foreign nationals marrying just to get a visa and then splitting up once they arrive in the west.

The officials at the Bangkok Embassy will enquire in detail on your ability to support both yourself and your Thai wife in a very expensive country.

The concern is that you could enter the UK and then become a burden on health and social services. There has been a lot of UK publicity on sham schools and colleges in places like London's Whitechapel that are very often little more than fronts for illegal immigration. Many so called students have entered the country in the past and just disappeared.

Given that you are not yet married I suggest you have to take a longer view. Six months in the UK will not solve your problems.

As a US citizen you have to address the issue of getting your wife US residency.

I appreciate your frustration at the system but I'm afraid the rules are made for everyone.

Edited by rimbung

Good news?

I emailed the UK Visa applicaiton centre of VFS about the probability of my wife getting a "Dependant of a UK Student Visa holder" visa, and they wrote the following (i assume it's ok to post):

If your wife is a visa national and she wants to enter the UK as a student dependant, she must apply for one before enter the UK. Applicant is at the liberty to choose where to apply a visa. Should you choose to apply here. Please note that the British Embassy in Bangkok does not accept any applications directly. Your wife has to submit her application in person with our UK Visa Application Centre managed by VFS (Thailand) located at Regent House, 2nd floor in Bangkok on Monday to Friday from 0830 hours to 1500 hours.

The British Embassy in Bangkok does not interview all applicants; they will try to make a decision using your application form and the supporting documents you have provided. If this is not possible, they will need to interview you.

I assume they meant "any applications indirectly" in that 3rd sentance? I'll call the UK consulate in Los Angeles, where I'll end up applying for my student visa, and ask them if I can give them my wife's Dependant application and if I can substitute in for her for an interview, which the above email seems to say is permissable. If it is permissable, it seems too easy and I'm thus still worried- why should it be easy for a Thai to enter the UK as a Dependant of a Student but so difficult just to be the wife of a UK citizen? I know they want me to prove I'll have sufficient funds for the both of us during the stay, but it still seems to oddly skirt around the usual requirements of Thais having to show mountains of evidence proving the relationship, having good jobs, etc.

Well I know I'm in detailed and specific aspect of an application now, and I don't expect anyone reading this to have had experience with this type of visa?

Edited by RY12

"directly" is correct. The embassy does not process visas directly, they have outsourced it to VFS. So you have to apply to VFS and then they send the visa application to the embassy.

I think they are just saying that if your wife was living in the US, she could apply in the US and would not have to go to Thailand to apply for a visa to the UK. I would imagine that if she were to apply in the US, she would have to be available for an interview in the US if needed.

Did you post that to refer to the fact that supporting documents are needed? Yes, if I understand it correctly, we have to provide as much evidence regarding the visa (i.e. the relationship, etc. and all the things usually asked for in a tourist visa) as we can?

What supporting documents are needed?

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they have read the available information on the category of visa they want to apply for. On the Visa Application Centre website we have provided a general list of the documents to help the Visa Officer to consider the application. Everyone’s circumstances are different and it is up to the applicant to decide whether to submit these documents, or different ones. Our list does not cover every single eventuality, and producing all the documents will not guarantee a visa. Applicants should make sure they include all supporting papers with their applications, and not send, or fax us any papers separately. Where possible, applications should submit original documents. We see large numbers of forged documents, and it is easier for us to verify if an original document is genuine, than a photocopied one. However, we recognise that some documents are too valuable to submit with an application. In these cases applicants should submit a good quality photocopy. Please don’t send us credit cards, or original airline tickets.

Did you post that to refer to the fact that supporting documents are needed? Yes, if I understand it correctly, we have to provide as much evidence regarding the visa (i.e. the relationship, etc. and all the things usually asked for in a tourist visa) as we can?

What supporting documents are needed?

It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure they have read the available information on the category of visa they want to apply for. On the Visa Application Centre website we have provided a general list of the documents to help the Visa Officer to consider the application. Everyone’s circumstances are different and it is up to the applicant to decide whether to submit these documents, or different ones. Our list does not cover every single eventuality, and producing all the documents will not guarantee a visa. Applicants should make sure they include all supporting papers with their applications, and not send, or fax us any papers separately. Where possible, applications should submit original documents. We see large numbers of forged documents, and it is easier for us to verify if an original document is genuine, than a photocopied one. However, we recognise that some documents are too valuable to submit with an application. In these cases applicants should submit a good quality photocopy. Please don’t send us credit cards, or original airline tickets.

The UK, and other countries have 'outsourced' a lot of the trivial mundane visa application weeding to companies who are doing pretty much what agencies were doing before.

However the stuff that drops through requires an interview at the Embassy in BKK.

Others can shoot me down but I believe your application will require an interview.

Sadly the initial interview is often by a Thai who is inclined to reject more that 80% of applicants.

I am sure others on here can run you through the ritual.

Just want to make sure you noticed in Scouser's post above that getting married legally in Thailand means that you are married in the US. Pretty much if you get married anywhere in the world, if it is recognized by the country you got married in, it will be recognized by the US. This might not be true for common law marriages and is not true for same sex marriages though.

Well, I just did the proper paperwork, walked my wife through it, including visits ti NCIS and Embassy in Bangkok, paid the money and we get her visa to the U.S. in less than three months. It is a lot of paperwork, ALOT, to be sure and some of the rules and steps can be confusing but it is very doable. You just don't give up and keep trying. I love my wife so much that I was not going to leave Thailand until we got it done. She did a lot on her own, the medical check-up and the Police background and she did not give up as well.

However the stuff that drops through requires an interview at the Embassy in BKK.

Others can shoot me down but I believe your application will require an interview.

Sadly the initial interview is often by a Thai who is inclined to reject more that 80% of applicants.

Wait, wait, are u saying that 80% of "dependants-of-UK-Student" visas are denied, or just generally all applications that get to the point of requiring an interview? Remember the dependant application form says additional documents besides the ones listed "may" be asked for and an interview "may" be required- do all the UK forms talk like this? It makes me think maybe this particular form gives the girl more deference; though maybe your right and they're just reserving the right to make further inquiries if the girl still appears to be young and poor.

I'm going to contact the University of London, they had to have dealt with this situation at some point or another from one of their international students. I have my fingers crossed that I can just slip my wife's application in with mine to the UK consulate in L.A., and the officer there will nonchalantly stamp both of them without even thinking about.

Wait, wait, are u saying that 80% of "dependants-of-UK-Student" visas are denied, or just generally all applications that get to the point of requiring an interview? Remember the dependant application form says additional documents besides the ones listed "may" be asked for and an interview "may" be required- do all the UK forms talk like this? It makes me think maybe this particular form gives the girl more deference; though maybe your right and they're just reserving the right to make further inquiries if the girl still appears to be young and poor.

I'm going to contact the University of London, they had to have dealt with this situation at some point or another from one of their international students. I have my fingers crossed that I can just slip my wife's application in with mine to the UK consulate in L.A., and the officer there will nonchalantly stamp both of them without even thinking about.

Surely you are dreaming !

'I can slip my wife's application in with mine.....' ??????

There is no way this is going to work unless she is present with you in the US and for that she will need a visa to the USA first....

IF you will study in the UK AND you get married before you go, your Thai wife will have to get her UK visa from the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

This can only be done by providing them all the papers to show that your relationship is genuine and to satisfy them that there will be no question of her being a burden to the UK State AND that she will be leaving the UK after her allowed period of stay.

Being married only helps to satisfy them of your willingness to support her but you/she still has to show that she will have enough funds for the trip AND that she will be leaving after her visit...

Good luck

There is no way this is going to work unless she is present with you in the US and for that she will need a visa to the USA first....

IF you will study in the UK AND you get married before you go, your Thai wife will have to get her UK visa from the UK Embassy in Bangkok.

This can only be done by providing them all the papers to show that your relationship is genuine and to satisfy them that there will be no question of her being a burden to the UK State AND that she will be leaving the UK after her allowed period of stay.

Being married only helps to satisfy them of your willingness to support her but you/she still has to show that she will have enough funds for the trip AND that she will be leaving after her visit...

Good luck

Are you addressing the situation of a Thai dependant to a UK student visa holder? or are you talking about a general visitor visa? I'm going to call more people, but from the information given so far it seems like dependants of students are in a more priveleged category of applicant than the others getting visitor or tourist visas... and she CAN apply anywhere I apply, not necessarily in Thailand.

Hey, but if this fails, from what you told me before Krub, it seems like the "dependant of a Japanese student visa holder" would be something she'd have no trouble getting, right? I'd just rather spend my semester in the UK than in Japan, mostly because I think she'd find it more interesting.

Edited by RY12

Well, I just did the proper paperwork, walked my wife through it, including visits ti NCIS and Embassy in Bangkok, paid the money and we get her visa to the U.S. in less than three months. It is a lot of paperwork, ALOT, to be sure and some of the rules and steps can be confusing but it is very doable. You just don't give up and keep trying. I love my wife so much that I was not going to leave Thailand until we got it done. She did a lot on her own, the medical check-up and the Police background and she did not give up as well.

Not quite sure how that is a reply to my post about him being married in the US if he gets legally married in another country.

But good to hear that it worked for you. I imagine that you are currently living in Thailand and have been for some time? Definately much faster if you do it that way instead of filing from the US.

Good luck

Are you addressing the situation of a Thai dependant to a UK student visa holder? or are you talking about a general visitor visa? I'm going to call more people, but from the information given so far it seems like dependants of students are in a more priveleged category of applicant than the others getting visitor or tourist visas... and she CAN apply anywhere I apply, not necessarily in Thailand.

Hey, but if this fails, from what you told me before Krub, it seems like the "dependant of a Japanese student visa holder" would be something she'd have no trouble getting, right? I'd just rather spend my semester in the UK than in Japan, mostly because I think she'd find it more interesting.

I am referring to your 'over' optimism in thinking that a UK Consulate would 'stamp' a visa in a passport of a third world national without the applicant even being in the country of application.

It is not relevant to this forum but it seems so strange that you are trying to get a 6 months visa for your GF to Japan or UK and for that you are prepared to marry her but you don't want anybody in your country to know about it ? Surely there are very good schools in the USA....

Good luck in your search of an 'easy' visa for your GF

My view is that there are several obstacles that the OP is trying to overcome in a short time frame without appreciating the problems he will encounter. As others on here know getting married in Thailand today will not get you a visa to the UK tomorrow.

He is from the USA, his girlfriend is from Thailand but he plans to enter the UK as a student.

Not a problem for a US citizen to do that but to try and get entry for his new wife will probably fail at the first hurdle.

I'm afraid that because of people trafficking in the past all new relationships/marriages are put under the microscope.

The immediate focus of attention is why he does not want to apply for a green card for his new bride to enter the USA.

If he did that then getting the UK visa would be more of a formality.

In short there is no quick fix here.

I believe the problem is that since he is a student, he cannot meet the requirement for the affidavit of support that would be needed to bring a wife/fiance to the US. He apparently does not want his parents to know about his Thai GF, so having them submit the needed paperwork is not an option. So he is trying to figure out some way that he can get together with her for an extended period of time.

Maybe come study in Thailand for a semester instead, then she will not need a visa anywhere.

4_12_12.gif

I believe the problem is that since he is a student, he cannot meet the requirement for the affidavit of support that would be needed to bring a wife/fiance to the US. He apparently does not want his parents to know about his Thai GF, so having them submit the needed paperwork is not an option. So he is trying to figure out some way that he can get together with her for an extended period of time.

Maybe come study in Thailand for a semester instead, then she will not need a visa anywhere.

4_12_12.gif

Yes that is correct. Indeed, my gf would have to apply in person wherever she applies, my L.A. fantasy is deflated. US law schools only permit lengthy study abroad in either Japan, UK, or Australia/NZ, so I couldn't stay with her in Thailand and study at the same time. Both of us will apply for both the Japanese and UK visa, (not the Australia or NZ ones because they seem impossible) and if either rejects her, I can go to the alternative (if both fail, oh well, just a lot of wasted application fees; or maybe I'll go to Japan and we can meet up in Hong Kong occassionally).

The question now is where to apply for the visas (my student visa and her "dependant" visa): apparently doing it together in person makes a stronger case, and anywhere besides a Bangkok embassy would increase our chances. I'm thinking either Singapore or Cambodia, since we'll be going there anyway.