*clunk* When Shifting From Park To Drive

Perhaps there's a greasemonkey on TV who can help me out. We've recently purchased a 1997 automatic Honda CR-V. 117,000 kms. I thought we could have the transmission tuned up, but apparently that's not something that can be done (see my other post). In any case, the car does the two following things:

1. When shifting from Park to Drive, there is a 1 or 1.5 second delay and clunk sound with a slight jolt. Then the transmission settles and is ready to ride. The jolt is hardest shortly after a cold start. If the car's been driven for a while, parked (hot) and then put into drive again, the jolt is a bit lighter but still noticeable.

2. When driving, the shift from 1st gear to second gear is somewhat strong. 1st gear seems to rev higher before switching to 2nd gear. Other gear shifts feel and sound fine.

These seem to be transmission related, though I've read that the jolt (experienced in #1) can be because of bad engine mounts and to just have them replaced. Does anyone have an idea what maybe causing this, or what to look for? I've checked the transmission fluid. It looks very light brown, so is probably fine...and the level is normal as well.

I'm not a greasemonkey...just an auto enthusiast but I'll give it a shot:

Very light brown transmission fluid isn't too bad. If it's dark and smells like burnt toast, that's bad. You could have an internal problem with the transmission...perhaps a band (a part that helps in shifting) needs to be tightened. The mileage you indicated is pretty high and perhaps the previous owners(s) didn't treat that CRV very well. Was it ever used for heavy work? That can wear down an automatic transmission easily. A delay of more than 1 second when shifting is not a good sign and I'd definitely look into it. Good luck!

Edited by Thaiboxer

From what I could gather, the CRV was used within a 15 km radius of lower Suk. A "mommy taxi" as the owner put it. Shipping kids from school to baseball games. 117,000 km's over a 11 yr period seems to paint that story as true. I don't think it was used for heavy work.

ok, level is ik. Now i am thinking about the " delay" you have ....it could be the internal pump of the transmission taking to long to build up pressure, so the dealer/garage can check that. Also there is a link between your throttle valve and the transmission, either by vacume or electronics , have that checked too.( not all to complicated) If in the wrong position things get noisy when changing gears too. Or is it just when putting it in first gear or changing from reverse to fwd??

mmmmm just thought of another option, it could als be a misalignement of the shift handle and the gearbox, not unusual really for a car that age and used on small stretches only.

Misalignement can be easely taken care of.

First gear and reverse can be the shifter.......or low internal oilpressure. Ofcourse loose or worn mounts play a role too.

Second gear harsh shifting can be the either vacume or electronic misalignement of the throttlevalve and the gearbox position.

Just let them have a look at these things, any good garage or dealer can take care of this in 30 minutes.

Good luck.

what the folks have said about possible problems with the transmission I agree..either shifter or fluid pump..misalignment and/or low pressure pushing selector forks.

Curious...the "jolt". does it jolt by rolling on the length (front to back) axis or the width (mid section) axis? If its the former you probably also have an engine mount problem because the engine puts torque on the chassis/frame. If its the latter its common with automatics getting old...apart from nuetral gear the clutch is under constant pressure with the flywheel. So when you while static the back of the car "slouches" down because the rear wheels want to go first. This slight movement causes the rear suspensions to compensate. The older the loser....and with respect to the metal, the more elastic it becomes (before completely yielding) over time.

Thats my crack at it :o

The jolt is the sort of *pull* you get when you shift into the Drive gear(s). Regularly you get this pull feeling (so if you let off the brake, the car pulls forward). In this car, there is a slight delay before the pulling, and when it shifts into gear it sort of *clunks* and then pulls a bit hard. The pull is coming from the entire car itself, not the front or sides, as far as I can tell.

I forgot to mention this. I have a problem with my transmission myself. Its an auto but occasionally it behaves like a manual!!! The car seems to be stuck at second or third gear sometimes. I rev to increase speed but sometimes its stuck at those gears. It'll keep screaming and never change. The car is from 1994. I checked all the basics and it was fine. Even with what I mentioned about StrongView's problem, I'm not inclined to think its a pump problem at all. I've worked on transmissions in college for projects, but sadly I cannot pinpoint this phenomena to a problem.

If StrongView doesn;t mind me using this thread, what do you guys think about this?