Has Your Cost Of Living And Or Business Gone Up?

slapout

Just reviewing some of the prices we paid for meat, eggs etc over the past 3 to 4 years, compared to today, in Chiang Mai. I still remember 12 baht/liter diesel, today 31 baht/liter. beef 2005, 105 baht/ kilo today 125bt/kilo. Chicken 2005, 50bt/kilo today 110bt/kilo. Pork 2005, 65bt/kilo today 100 bt/kilo. Eggs 2005, 140bt/100 today 260bt/100. The government has recently been throwing inflation numbers of 2 to 3% around and as always I am kind of hard pressed to believe them. What kind of input can other viewers give to make us all feel better.

The way I look at it, I'm getting stronger. Seven years ago it took me two hands to carry home 1,000 baht worth of groceries. Today I can carry a 1,000 baht worth with just one hand.... :o

But here are some sad stats; I used to buy croissants from Rimping at five rather large ones for 32 baht. Today four really small ones cost 38 baht. I might just have to cut down on the caviar!

"No bread to eat? Let them eat cake!"

In France, where this saying is from, 'cake' is a flour-and-water paste that was "caked" onto the interiors of the ovens and baking pans of the professional boulangers of the era....

By way of update to a post I made yesterday

"Cooking Oil 2005 339 Baht

Cooking Oil 2008 745 Baht"

as of this morning make the same Cooking Oil 785 Baht

[taste now like North Sea Crude]

Another Goodie

Same Store, Same Brand, Same Size Rice

Feb 20th 08 5 K Bag = 105 Baht

This Morning 5 K Bag = 130 Baht

That seems to be about a 24% increase in 2 weeks

It seems to me that many expats here are moaning due to the rising price of consumables.

Sad that no-one has mentioned the situation of the average Thai citizen who has to wear a 25% and more increase on their staples in less than a year. Wages for the average Thai citizen certainly haven't risen anywhere near this figure.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Another Goodie

It seems to me that many expats here are moaning due to the rising price of consumables.

Sad that no-one has mentioned the situation of the average Thai citizen who has to wear a 25% and more increase on their staples in less than a year. Wages for the average Thai citizen certainly haven't risen anywhere near this figure.

I agree absolutely BB, we're fortunate to live in a more prosperous part of Thailand but the guys that I was paying 200B a day when I built my house four years ago tell me that's what they are still getting and some of them have to travel 30 or 40 kms a day for work.

Edited by sceadugenga

Another Goodie

I agree absolutely BB, we're fortunate to live in a more prosperous part of Thailand but the guys that I was paying 200B a day when I built my house four years ago tell me that's what they are still getting and some of them have to travel 30 or 40 kms a day for work.

Not disagreeing with any of that , but also look at the other side. The tuk tuk drivers now demand 60 baht for the ride that was 40 baht less than 2 years ago. Or maybe you would like to post the numbers for the handymen workers who have to work for the 200 baht per day. Why I might even be willing to pay some of the even as much as 300 baht per day. A 50% increase.

Gonzo

Another Goodie

Not disagreeing with any of that , but also look at the other side. The tuk tuk drivers now demand 60 baht for the ride that was 40 baht less than 2 years ago. Or maybe you would like to post the numbers for the handymen workers who have to work for the 200 baht per day. Why I might even be willing to pay some of the even as much as 300 baht per day. A 50% increase.

Gonzo

In mt experience, hardly any workers on housing projects and the like get more than around 150 baht per day. Their 'supervisors' usually get any extras...

Edited by Ajarn

Another Goodie

Very sad indeed.

Most farangs in the kingdom do feel they are the center of the universe though.

That's why most of them are here..

Incoming..... :D:o

Another Goodie

Very sad indeed.

What are you guys trying to do make a race, creed, color or what have you war out of Slaps Post?

I think we are writing about what we each experience. I am sure a Thai, Greek or even an Aussie, if they are shopping at the same stores of which each of us speak, will experience the same price increases that each of the posters now pay. So we are all getting hit the same.

Another Goodie

Very sad indeed.

What are you guys trying to do make a race, creed, color or what have you war out of Slaps Post?

I think we are writing about what we each experience. I am sure a Thai, Greek or even an Aussie, if they are shopping at the same stores of which each of us speak, will experience the same price increases that each of the posters now pay. So we are all getting hit the same.

So we are all getting hit the same you say..

Lets talk about the average Thai wage then.

Where did you learn your math ??

That's just absurd to say Thais are being hit the same as farangs (whatever color they are)..

Anyway, just vote for Hilary, she'll sort everything out.. :D

Another Goodie

Very sad indeed.

So we are all getting hit the same you say..

Lets talk about the average Thai wage then.

Where did you learn your math ??

That's just absurd to say Thais are being hit the same as farangs (whatever color they are)..

Anyway, just vote for Hilary, she'll sort everything out.. :D

Lets run this by the superior math majors.

One year ago, the average Thai, earning the average Thai wage , went into or did not got into your average Makro type store.

Accept the same for the average Farang.

This year the average Thai earning the now average Thai wage , goes into the Average Makro type store or if he cannot afford it he does not go in.

Again accept the same for the average Farang.

Accepting also that if you go, today, into a Makro type store, I would say that the customer base would be approx. 90% Thai.

Maybe you would accept the fact that the Thai Baht has greatly strengthened in the past year.

Maybe you would accept that a good portion of the Makro Thai buyer is buying by the pick-up [ute] size purchase to take back to the little Mom & Pop store to resell to the near-by villagers.

It would be my impression that the Thai Baht has strengthened and the majority of the Farang monies have weakened.

As you bring up Hillary, lets talk the US Dollar. It has been hit very hard vs the Baht.

The average Thai has stronger [read more] baht to pay for the higher priced items.

The average Farang , if he be American, has a weaker [read fewer] dollars to buy the higher priced items.

Granted most of the farang monies have not been hit as hard as the US vs Baht, but most have been hit.

Ok, you win. The Thais are all better off than farangs..

I am sorry that i feel empathy towards "the average Thai".

Sadly i don't feel much of it for the farang "drippers" as they made their decision to come and live here in the first place.

"Put up or shut up" as they say in the classics.

post-31110-1204720441_thumb.jpg

post-31110-1204720500_thumb.jpg

After arriving home this afternoon from one of the wife's feeding frenzy's from the noodle place, and then another trip to the fresh market...

" We are poor..." she stated.

"Poor?" I asked..." Yes, we are poor" she replied.

I ( we ) live off my govt retirement paid from the good 'ol US and of A in 'Merican greenbacks, which here in LOS keeps me quite comfy compared to what I'd be living like back home. ( apartment, 2 bed, 2 bath..1200 square feet..cost just in rent was over 1,000 a month and being from AZ..A/C bills were 250 to 400 USD a month in warmer months )

" Well, ya better go and find ya a job then so we won't be so poor" I informed her.

"Allawa??" " A job????!!!! :o

Suddenly we became not so poor again...

Yeah, it's getting more, shall I say, worrysome for me on the Bhat v. Dollar...but still compared to what I'd have to do back home to live like this...

I'm quite content, worried...but content.

Dolce Vita

Yup, what govt's report as inflation are a bit arcane, as pointed out above.

Core inflation figures strip out supposedly volatile energy and food prices, and use a complex set of algorithms to try to keep the comparisons year to year in some semblance of coherency. I don't think it is any deliberate effort to obfuscate; I think that economists live in their own special little world, when they come up with some of these numbers.

Not that it will make anyone feel much better, but pork prices in China (a major food source there) have gone up 47% in the last year. Vietnam has price inflation in everything well into the double digits. Indonesia, Singapore same-same.

The oil price inflation is just part of the equation, as was pointed out above. The diversion of grains (corn in Thailand for example) for production of vehicle biofuels has taken a huge toll on farmer's costs. The feed producers in Thailand just petitioned the Finance Ministry to raise some price caps on grain. Read about it in the BKK Post business section, yesterday's edition.

Dairy products are through the roof. I used to buy a cube of Orchid brand butter for about 50 B last year. I paid 81 B today at Tesco Lotus Express.

Point I'm making is, yes prices are inflating in Thailand, the Thai gov't is well aware of it, and things are being planned to actively address this issue. Instead of cutting repo rates to add liquidity, the BofT is now talking about raising rates (to control inflation). They want to use huge infrastructure projects to add stimulus instead of the capital controls to limit DFI (direct foreign investment) that were just lifted.

OK, enough of this....everyone's eyes are starting to glaze over with all this economic talk!

Bottom line, it's not good here, but it is a lot better than other places in the same region, and things are being done to alleviate the inflation.

Time to start economizing for everyone, perhaps.

Yup, what govt's report as inflation are a bit arcane, as pointed out above.

Core inflation figures strip out supposedly volatile energy and food prices, and use a complex set of algorithms to try to keep the comparisons year to year in some semblance of coherency. I don't think it is any deliberate effort to obfuscate; I think that economists live in their own special little world, when they come up with some of these numbers.

Not that it will make anyone feel much better, but pork prices in China (a major food source there) have gone up 47% in the last year. Vietnam has price inflation in everything well into the double digits. Indonesia, Singapore same-same.

The oil price inflation is just part of the equation, as was pointed out above. The diversion of grains (corn in Thailand for example) for production of vehicle biofuels has taken a huge toll on farmer's costs. The feed producers in Thailand just petitioned the Finance Ministry to raise some price caps on grain. Read about it in the BKK Post business section, yesterday's edition.

Dairy products are through the roof. I used to buy a cube of Orchid brand butter for about 50 B last year. I paid 81 B today at Tesco Lotus Express.

Point I'm making is, yes prices are inflating in Thailand, the Thai gov't is well aware of it, and things are being planned to actively address this issue. Instead of cutting repo rates to add liquidity, the BofT is now talking about raising rates (to control inflation). They want to use huge infrastructure projects to add stimulus instead of the capital controls to limit DFI (direct foreign investment) that were just lifted.

OK, enough of this....everyone's eyes are starting to glaze over with all this economic talk!

Bottom line, it's not good here, but it is a lot better than other places in the same region, and things are being done to alleviate the inflation.

Time to start economizing for everyone, perhaps.

If you were to cut out trips to "Spicys" and "McSpotlight" and instead went to the "Burma Bar" then you would be on your "economizing highway" to happiness.

If not, just get a job then. :o