Airport To Train Station

bjohn34

I am arriving Surambhumi(sp) on international flight at 17:50. Am considering taking overnight train to Nong Khai departing Bangkok at 20:45.

Do I have enough time to make this connection or is it too tight to be reliable?

Edited by bjohn34

Be conservative: Allow an hour for customs and baggage. That puts you at 18:50. That leaves almost two hours to get there. At least the bulk of the traffic will be leaving BKK about then, so you'll be going opposite that flow. Also, consider what day of the week. If Sunday night, everyone's piling INTO BKK from the hinterlands, so it might go slower on the expressway. Other days should be alright. I'd say it's do-able.

If you have your train tickets already, the train is very punctual (so un-Thai!), and you can jump on it with 5 minutes to spare before it's scheduled departure, on time. If you have to buy the train tickets when you arrive at the station, it tightens up your schedule a bit. If it was me, I'd still go for it.

By the way, if you haven't done the train yet, I hope you get the sleeping car, A/C, middle of car, lower berths. I highly recommend it. It's like a cradle rocking you to sleep all night. Fresh clean sheets and pillow cases, and quiet.

I am arriving Surambhumi(sp) on international flight at 17:50. Am considering taking overnight train to Nong Khai departing Bangkok at 20:45.

Do I have enough time to make this connection or is it too tight to be reliable?

What about picking up the Nong Khai train at Don Muang Station? This gives you about an extra hour to catch the train, but not sure if it is any quicker to get there from Suv.

If you do that I think it is better to buy a ticket from Don Muang. If you buy a Hua Lamphong ticket and you do not show up there maybe they will re-assign your seat to somebody else. I think I saw this written somewhere.

Hua Lamphong mite be reached quickest by getting Taximeter cab to Klong Toe MTS underground station on Rama IV Rd.

You would miss all the CBD traffic, which at that time of the nite is/can be horrendous.

The train terminates at Hua Lamphong , ya cannot go past.

Going to Don Muang is an option, but mite take a long time, but train will be a lot later departing from there.

Check out shuttle buses that run between airports, at Swampy, if you have time.

I presume you have your booking for the train...... if not.....

http://www.thaifocus.com/travel/train/index.htm

Good luck

Edited by Zpete

I'd definitely pick up the train at Don Muang. It will take around 45 minutes to get there, expressway all the way. This will save you from having to get through inner-city traffic, and then having to spend around an hour just plodding out of the city again on the train.