Pattaya Newbie

meme

Hi,

I will be working in Chonburi for two months, figure I will be spending most of my weekends in Pattaya and was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me. I live in the South and have never been to Pattaya.

1) I need to get to the Northern bus terminal in Pattaya by 4pm. I arrive at Don Muang at 12pm. Could I go by bus?

2) Where should I head on my wkds off? What area? I am married but will be there on my own usually. Would like a friendly area with rooms under 1000 baht with tv and air (if that is possible) I have obviously only heard crazy things about Pattaya so would like to not be around any mayhem but would like to be within walking distance :o

Any info and tips would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Hi,

I will be working in Chonburi for two months, figure I will be spending most of my weekends in Pattaya and was hoping you guys could answer some questions for me. I live in the South and have never been to Pattaya.

1) I need to get to the Northern bus terminal in Pattaya by 4pm. I arrive at Don Muang at 12pm. Could I go by bus?

2) Where should I head on my wkds off? What area? I am married but will be there on my own usually. Would like a friendly area with rooms under 1000 baht with tv and air (if that is possible) I have obviously only heard crazy things about Pattaya so would like to not be around any mayhem but would like to be within walking distance :o

Cheers!

Can't help you with the bus, there probably is one, but a metered taxi will take you in 2 hours for 1,000. Weekends of most of the Western females I work with prefer to head to Koh Samed at the weekends to escape the mayhem you mentioned. It's about an hour away by bus + short ferry or speedboat ride.

Hi,

Cheers!

Can't help you with the bus, there probably is one, but a metered taxi will take you in 2 hours for 1,000. Weekends of most of the Western females I work with prefer to head to Koh Samed at the weekends to escape the mayhem you mentioned. It's about an hour away by bus + short ferry or speedboat ride.

Thanks!

I didn't know Samet was that close. So any meter taxi will drive you all the way to Pattaya? You dont have to book through anywhere special?

No you don't need to book a taxi, will cost you around 1200 to 1400 if you take one off the rank, but they will all go to Pattaya. There are buses, but I couldn't tell you the details, think you would be cutting it a bit fine anyway.

There are 1000's of places to stay in your price range, and away from the madness, but close enough to have a dabble if you like.

No you don't need to book a taxi, will cost you around 1200 to 1400 if you take one off the rank, but they will all go to Pattaya. There are buses, but I couldn't tell you the details, think you would be cutting it a bit fine anyway.

There are 1000's of places to stay in your price range, and away from the madness, but close enough to have a dabble if you like.

Thanks Sweetchariot. I have no idea how big Pattaya is. Is there a certain section or beach I should go to for accommodation?

Hi,

2) Where should I head on my wkds off? What area? I am married but will be there on my own usually. Would like a friendly area with rooms under 1000 baht with tv and air (if that is possible) I have obviously only heard crazy things about Pattaya so would like to not be around any mayhem but would like to be within walking distance ;)

1)

its´s possible to go by bus, but not easy. First you have to go to the mainstreet to the next bus-stop)left side). Ask people, which bus to take (going direktion inside city, to mor-chit station.) there is no direkt bus going to mhor chit bus-station, so you have to take a taxi (about 60 Baht) for the last 2 km. At mhor chit bus-station, you take a bus directly to Pattaya. About 2 hours.

Ok: more practical: take a taxi at the airport. About 1200 Baht to Pattaya. Best: dont asked for the prize, just say 1200 baht. Most time they want extra money for toll (about 100 baht). The prize is not fixed, so it´s up to you, how much you pay!

2) absolutly possible to get a (hotel) room for under 1000 baht with aircon and tv.

If you stay 2 month, I would recommend to rent an appartement (monthly payable)

You can get a small one in Pattaya for 5000 baht (per month !)with aircon (17 m x m). Small but good one! You will have to pay extra for electricity (5 baht/ kw/hour is normal). For 15000 you can expect a bigger one 35 m x m , maybe with extra bed-room.

There are many appartement-houses! What I did: the first 2 days I stayed in a hotel and went around those areas where I wanted to live. Went to the appartement buildings and asked for rooms and had a look at the rooms. If you ´ve seen about 10 houses, you will get a knowledge of what you can expect for your money!

When will you go to pattaya?

I´ll be back in May ?

Hi,

1)

its´s possible to go by bus, but not easy. First you have to go to the mainstreet to the next bus-stop)left side). Ask people, which bus to take (going direktion inside city, to mor-chit station.) there is no direkt bus going to mhor chit bus-station, so you have to take a taxi (about 60 Baht) for the last 2 km. At mhor chit bus-station, you take a bus directly to Pattaya. About 2 hours.

Ok: more practical: take a taxi at the airport. About 1200 Baht to Pattaya. Best: dont asked for the prize, just say 1200 baht. Most time they want extra money for toll (about 100 baht). The prize is not fixed, so it´s up to you, how much you pay!

2) absolutly possible to get a (hotel) room for under 1000 baht with aircon and tv.

You can get a small one in Pattaya for 5000 baht (per month !)with aircon (17 m x m). Small but good one! You will have to pay extra for electricity (5 baht/ kw/hour is normal). For 15000 you can expect a bigger one 35 m x m , maybe with extra bed-room.

There are many appartement-houses! What I did: the first 2 days I stayed in a hotel and went around those areas where I wanted to live. Went to the appartement buildings and asked for rooms and had a look at the rooms. If you ´ve seen about 10 houses, you will get a knowledge of what you can expect for your money!

I´ll be back in May ?

great info thanks dieter!

I am heading there next week but will only be there on weekends. So dont think I will get an apartment. Any idea of where abouts I should be heading?

I think I will take a taxi I just HATE having to negotiate!

Hi,

2) Where should I head on my wkds off? What area? I am married but will be there on my own usually. Would like a friendly area with rooms under 1000 baht with tv and air (if that is possible) I have obviously only heard crazy things about Pattaya so would like to not be around any mayhem but would like to be within walking distance :D

1)

I´ll be back in May ?

I am heading there next week but will only be there on weekends. So dont think I will get an apartment. Any idea of where abouts I should be heading?

Stop! Stop! Stop!

Dieter is talking about the Northern Bus Terminal (Mor Chit) in Bangkok.

I think you were talking about the Northern Bus terminal in Pattaya.

Make sure you know which one you want.

For Pattaya - take a taxi, as previous posters have said.

What do you want to do at weekends? For a single female there is more variety in North Pattaya and discos on 3rd Road (northern end). If you're into golf, there is a ladies group. Other sports and fitness centres - several opportunities. Bars - one or two if you look carefully. :o

Hi,

2) Where should I head on my wkds off? What area? I am married but will be there on my own usually. Would like a friendly area with rooms under 1000 baht with tv and air (if that is possible) I have obviously only heard crazy things about Pattaya so would like to not be around any mayhem but would like to be within walking distance :D

1)

I´ll be back in May ?

Stop! Stop! Stop!

Dieter is talking about the Northern Bus Terminal (Mor Chit) in Bangkok.

I think you were talking about the Northern Bus terminal in Pattaya.

Make sure you know which one you want.

For Pattaya - take a taxi, as previous posters have said.

What do you want to do at weekends? For a single female there is more variety in North Pattaya and discos on 3rd Road (northern end). If you're into golf, there is a ladies group. Other sports and fitness centres - several opportunities. Bars - one or two if you look carefully. :o

Hi Humphrey bear,

I am looking to go from Don Muang to Pattaya, actually I need to get to the Northern bus terminal is Pattaya as I will be picked up there. I arrive at noon at DM ad will be picked up in Pattaya at 4pm.

As for the weekends I just want to be in an area that I feel is safe and friendly(but not creepy) but also has options for nightlife.

Cheers.

Meme,

Give Mr. T a call regarding a taxi 0812587716, he's based in Pattaya but I use him all the time for trips to and from Suvanabhum usually 5 or 6 times a month and I'm sure he would do Don Meaung as well. He uses good quality newish cars and is very fairly priced.

Just give him a call, he speaks English and when you know the flight number to Don Meaung and time just give it to him and he will have a driver with a decent car waiting for you at the airport and there will be no tolls to pay, no haggle no tolls and no hassle, excellent service.

As for price from Don Meuang but from Suvanabhum to Pattaya is always 1000 baht, other way 900, I'm sure he will do DM for 1100 or 1200.

Meme,

Give Mr. T a call regarding a taxi 0812587716, he's based in Pattaya but I use him all the time for trips to and from Suvanabhum usually 5 or 6 times a month and I'm sure he would do Don Meaung as well. He uses good quality newish cars and is very fairly priced.

Just give him a call, he speaks English and when you know the flight number to Don Meaung and time just give it to him and he will have a driver with a decent car waiting for you at the airport and there will be no tolls to pay, no haggle no tolls and no hassle, excellent service.

As for price from Don Meuang but from Suvanabhum to Pattaya is always 1000 baht, other way 900, I'm sure he will do DM for 1100 or 1200.

Thanks awsome, thanks!

I'd suggest you looked for the following bars: Gullivers (north end beach road), Mooore (2nd road nr Mariott), Shenanigans (Avenue Mall) and Molly Malones (Walking Street) from there is a choice of places to go for 'throwing a few shapes on the dance floor' - Candy Shop, Hammer, Lucifer or Marine Disco.

Meme,

Thanks awsome, thanks!

If a black man with mohican, owning a black van with a red swish stripe down the sides turns up to meet you, say to him "I ain't never getting on no aeroplane again fool" or "Thanks for coming, I love it when a plan comes together" :o

I'd suggest you looked for the following bars: Gullivers (north end beach road), Mooore (2nd road nr Mariott), Shenanigans (Avenue Mall) and Molly Malones (Walking Street) from there is a choice of places to go for 'throwing a few shapes on the dance floor' - Candy Shop, Hammer, Lucifer or Marine Disco.

But if you're over 18 then ignore the above :o

Naka.

Meme,

If you are not up for the BUS adventure I agree with a lot of the posters that taking a taxi all the way to Pattaya is the way for a no stress and no sweat ride.

BUT !!!!! if you like an adventure and had the time, Pattaya north bus station is do-able on the bus system from the Don Muang airport. Total cost a whopping 125 baht.

Exiting D/ M airport you walk out the the exit doors and turn right. Walk about 100 feet or so and cross over several lanes of on coming inbound traffic to the airport to the main road. You can't miss the main road. It is the one where the traffic never stops.

You will see bus stops with numbers and lots of Thais waiting around. Wait for the one which says "536" I believe it is tan colored and newer style. Wait for the 536 bus and wave it down but most likely will stop anyway. Jump on and ask the lady collecting the 8 baht fare that you would like Mo Chit station. She doesn't speak much English, but understands Mo-Chit bus station.

You will travel about (I'm guessing) 5 or 6 kilometers and the kind lady will say "Mo Chit" and nod at you as the bus stops and you jump off. (Careful jumping off as the silly motorcycle taxis like to travel between the passengers getting off the bus and the curb).

Looking around you won't see anything that looks like a bus station. Don't worry you aren't there yet.

Next, find the nearest bus stop (most likely behind you) and look for the painted sign that says "136". The "136" is a redish colored bus and is as old as the Don Muang airport. Jump on the 136 and ask the kind lady collecting the 8 baht you want Mo-Chit station. A few more kilometers and a few U-turns and other types of turns you arrive at Mo-Chit bus station.

When you jump off the bus continue walking in the same direction as the bus is going. Walk past the huge pile (mountain) of second hand shoes for sale to near the end....looking for window #48 which is inside the building not outside where they sell the mountain of second hand shoes.

They will sell you the bus ticket to Pattaya for 109 baht.

Only trouble is the bus from Mo Chit station doesn't actually drive into the Bus station in Pattaya, but will drop you off on Sukhumvit at Pattaya Nua and you have to hoof it across the street for about 500 feet where you will see the north Pattaya bus station on the right.

It is actually kind of fun, if you have the time and are not in a hurry. I have done it 3 times and even the third time it took me nearly 3 1/2 hours without traffic delays. You are limited to 4 hours so this may not be the type of adventure you are looking for at this time.

But in the future, when you have time, the Thai bus system is very interesting.

Edited by just_another_guy

Meme,

If you are not up for the BUS adventure I agree with a lot of the posters that taking a taxi all the way to Pattaya is the way for a no stress and no sweat ride.

BUT !!!!! if you like an adventure and had the time, Pattaya north bus station is do-able on the bus system from the Don Muang airport. Total cost a whopping 125 baht.

Exiting D/ M airport you walk out the the exit doors and turn right. Walk about 100 feet or so and cross over several lanes of on coming inbound traffic to the airport to the main road. You can't miss the main road. It is the one where the traffic never stops.

You will see bus stops with numbers and lots of Thais waiting around. Wait for the one which says "536" I believe it is tan colored and newer style. Wait for the 536 bus and wave it down but most likely will stop anyway. Jump on and ask the lady collecting the 8 baht fare that you would like Mo Chit station. She doesn't speak much English, but understands Mo-Chit bus station.

You will travel about (I'm guessing) 5 or 6 kilometers and the kind lady will say "Mo Chit" and nod at you as the bus stops and you jump off. (Careful jumping off as the silly motorcycle taxis like to travel between the passengers getting off the bus and the curb).

Looking around you won't see anything that looks like a bus station. Don't worry you aren't there yet.

Next, find the nearest bus stop (most likely behind you) and look for the painted sign that says "136". The "136" is a redish colored bus and is as old as the Don Muang airport. Jump on the 136 and ask the kind lady collecting the 8 baht you want Mo-Chit station. A few more kilometers and a few U-turns and other types of turns you arrive at Mo-Chit bus station.

When you jump off the bus continue walking in the same direction as the bus is going. Walk past the huge pile (mountain) of second hand shoes for sale to near the end....looking for window #48 which is inside the building not outside where they sell the mountain of second hand shoes.

They will sell you the bus ticket to Pattaya for 109 baht.

Only trouble is the bus from Mo Chit station doesn't actually drive into the Bus station in Pattaya, but will drop you off on Sukhumvit at Pattaya Nua and you have to hoof it across the street for about 500 feet where you will see the north Pattaya bus station on the right.

It is actually kind of fun, if you have the time and are not in a hurry. I have done it 3 times and even the third time it took me nearly 3 1/2 hours without traffic delays. You are limited to 4 hours so this may not be the type of adventure you are looking for at this time.

But in the future, when you have time, the Thai bus system is very interesting.

So helpful!! I will indeed try that but not the first time as I want to make sure I will be getting there on time.

But will definitely take the bus next time..or attempt to.

Suppose I could also get a taxi to Mo chit and then go from there.

Would also really appreciate if someone could tell me which road or area I should go to when I am looking for accommodation. I would be arriving on a Friday from about 20 min outside of Pattaya. Where should I ask the taxi to take me?

If you would like a studio apartment for as short as a night I have some contacts for View Talay 2 and I think they still go out at Bt1000 a night for a studio. You know, TV, DVD, micro, 2 hot plates, kettle et. Shower and balcony with 2 pools. Usually high floors so quiet and with linen and towels.

Its about 10 minutes in a songthaew (baht bus) from Walking Street, the main tourist area of Pattaya.

I lived there for about 3 years and would recommend it if you don't want to be right in the middle of things (and don't want the cleaners knocking on your door when you just want to stay home and relax in front of the telly of an afternoon). PM me if interested.