Reality Check

samran

I know, I know....I'm going to get a good ribbing for this, but it is worth checking (even more so given that I have lived in both Hat Yai and Pattani).

Anyhoo,

I'm thinking of doing a road trip down to Penang from BKK over Songkran to visit some friends who are living there. Strikes me that there is absolutely nothing to worry about terrorist wise driving between Hat Yai and the border, but I thought I might double check here.

Cheers

Samran

Well, friends of mine do the visa run to Penang pretty regularly and haven't been blown up or beheaded yet.

Of course, once they find out you are a ThaiVisa mod, some of the southern members here might gun for you instead :o

Well, friends of mine do the visa run to Penang pretty regularly and haven't been blown up or beheaded yet.

Of course, once they find out you are a ThaiVisa mod, some of the southern members here might gun for you instead :o

Thanks

thought as much! Seems that Bangkok life has softened me a touch too much!!!

I think you've got absolutely nothing to worry about regarding terrorist action on that particular route but I would be much more concerned about doing long distance driving over Songkran. Isn't that the time of year with the highest road fatality rates? Due to the huge amounts of traffic on the roads as everyone and their dog returns home for Songkran, drink driving, crazy bus/minivan drivers. Driving at any other time of year I wouldn't worry but road traffic is insane then.

I have driven extensively during Songkran and to be honest I never noticed much difference. Yes there is 300 extra deaths or whatever but when you spread these around Thailand it isn't that much. It does seem to get busy on the main highways out of BKK however.

I think you've got absolutely nothing to worry about regarding terrorist action on that particular route but I would be much more concerned about doing long distance driving over Songkran. Isn't that the time of year with the highest road fatality rates? Due to the huge amounts of traffic on the roads as everyone and their dog returns home for Songkran, drink driving, crazy bus/minivan drivers. Driving at any other time of year I wouldn't worry but road traffic is insane then.

madjbs and ruefang,

thanks for your input.

to be honest, the main concern is the traffic. I'm going to take it easy, and not rush. I'll be going down the week before 5th and comig back the 16th.

Will be a relaxed schedual. Stoping overnight at Hua Hin, Hat Yai on the way there and back. I'm staying in the left lane anyway, not in a rush. Moron pickup drivers, Mercs and Intercity busses can pass me by.

To be extra careful, I'll be flying down my wife and daughter to Hat Yai, and they'll only be on Malaysian roads most of the time.

Best of luck Samran, I'm sure it will be a wonderful trip with lots of gorgeous scenery on the way. From what I've seen of Malaysian roads, they are a dream to drive on (in cities and main hwys though!) :o

Sounds like you have it well planned, with that schedule and those dates I think it should all be fine. I am looking into organising something myself for songkran, will probably stay in Thailand though.

Have a good time!