The Amount Of Expats In Thailand

mrt273nva

I think this has been asked before but due to the fact many are on visa runs its hard to estimate.

I am sure they publish retirement visa numbers somewhere and there are about 60,000 - 70,000 WP's but the true figure of those there wil be much higher

I don't believe anyone has done even close to an accurate census of Americans in Thailand. Personally, I think that such a census would solve many of the M(issing) I(n) A(ction) cases from the Vietnam War. Those guys are getting old by now but I'd bet there are a lot of them in places like Nana, Pattaya, Surin, and Buriram.

Add to that the Europeans who don't want to be found, either, and you have a lot of expats that would be hard to identify or count.

Just to clarify your definition, expats are not migrants. People who live in Thailand on a retirement visa are not expats because they have settled permanently. Expats are in country to work on a non-permanent basis. For example, I was an expat in Thailand for 5 years as my father was working as an engineer on a contract. When we settled in Australia permanently, we became migrants, not expats as the reason for living there and circumstances were different, as were our residency status (permanent).

Also, expats and migrants to Thailand come in shades other than pasty pale.

People who live in Thailand on a retirement visa are not expats because they have settled permanently.

Sorry, but there's no such thing as being "settled permanently" with a retirement visa. Each year you extend your permission to stay by completing the form titled "Extension Of Temporary Stay".

The only "migrants" (according to your definition) would be people who have obtained PR or citizenship - and I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.

People who live in Thailand on a retirement visa are not expats because they have settled permanently.

Sorry, but there's no such thing as being "settled permanently" with a retirement visa. Each year you extend your permission to stay by completing the form titled "Extension Of Temporary Stay".

The only "migrants" (according to your definition) would be people who have obtained PR or citizenship - and I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.

Yep, you are right on that. I always understood that ex-pats can are any non national/ non citizen residing in a country that is not the country of their birth through choice.

"An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. ..." Source (Wikipedia)

And in Singapore I would still label PR's as expats and not migrants for example.

My boss has just got citizenship as well but I am pretty certain she will not be living here permanently ie when she finishes working it will be back to retirement in the Philippines.

And in Singapore I would still label PR's as expats and not migrants for example.

My boss has just got citizenship as well but I am pretty certain she will not be living here permanently ie when she finishes working it will be back to retirement in the Philippines.

Agreed. I am applying for PR in Singapore but do not consider myself a migrant or an ExPat for that matter, more of a colonial :-)

Doesn’t the term "Migrant Worker" have a connotation of manual labourer, maybe a construction worker?

Just to clarify your definition, expats are not migrants. People who live in Thailand on a retirement visa are not expats because they have settled permanently. Expats are in country to work on a non-permanent basis. For example, I was an expat in Thailand for 5 years as my father was working as an engineer on a contract. When we settled in Australia permanently, we became migrants, not expats as the reason for living there and circumstances were different, as were our residency status (permanent).

Also, expats and migrants to Thailand come in shades other than pasty pale.

Just to quote from the Collins dictionary 'Expatriate--living outside one's native country' so that does include retirees. As it is not possible to be a Thai citizen, you still remain a citizen of your native country.

"Agreed. I am applying for PR in Singapore but do not consider myself a migrant or an ExPat for that matter, more of a colonial :-)

Doesn’t the term "Migrant Worker" have a connotation of manual labourer, maybe a construction worker?"

Yes I would say migrant worker is on one of the lower "WP"'s - those poor south Asians and Chinese shipped in for less than 1000 SGD a month and living 20 to a room. (One of Singapores many dirty little secrets)

Maybe expats should only be classified as such if they are on a P1? (although I know of no westerner who is on less but according to Singapore forums there are plenty)

One of my colleagues is going for PR but she lives in JB and commutes - I thought that was odd but she is going through the motions?