Police Checks In Nakhonsawan

intumult

The crackdown on motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets seems to be continuing on a regular basis in Nakhonsawan. The police are out in force and stopping hundreds of offenders each week now and the offenders are getting tickets - so be careful with no helmet when riding here. The police are very good at pulling offenders near traffic lights.

For those driving cars late at night the police are also setting up road blocks, especially around the park area and near Big C. They do seem to be testing for alcohol too.

• 9 months later...
The crackdown on motorcyclists not wearing crash helmets seems to be continuing on a regular basis in Nakhonsawan. The police are out in force and stopping hundreds of offenders each week now and the offenders are getting tickets - so be careful with no helmet when riding here. The police are very good at pulling offenders near traffic lights.

For those driving cars late at night the police are also setting up road blocks, especially around the park area and near Big C. They do seem to be testing for alcohol too.

I've been stopped a few times in Nakhon Sawan, on the way to Nakhon Sawan, and in BKK. My wife always takes over the conversation, a small donation is sometimes made and were on our way.

As well they should be. I have heard similar stories from friends in CM, Nong Khai, Korat, CR. If it was my call they would not only get a ticket, they would have to attend a mandatory motorcycle safety class(24 hours in class) before return of motorcycle. If teenager mom and dad MUST attend also because they are the one standing around crying when the kid is in a serious accident. Oh well not my call just my little SOAP BOX. :o

Edited by BigSnake

Unfortunately I was involved in a fatal motorbike accident in Nakhonsawan. I will make another post in general asking for advise with some of the developments in the case later. The Motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet and struck his head on the road and dies a few hours later. I have been charged with reckless driving causing death and the family is pursuing me with great vigor through the courts for 14,500,000 baht. The fact he was not wearing a helmet does not seem to be important.

C

the dangers of driving in thailand a "no-fault state" in that the thais are never at fault only farangs.

i have one question, have you bought your plane ticket yet? paying restitution seems only to

be based on the various parties ability to pay not on who was actually responsible or liable.

Unfortunately I was involved in a fatal motorbike accident in Nakhonsawan. I will make another post in general asking for advise with some of the developments in the case later. The Motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet and struck his head on the road and dies a few hours later. I have been charged with reckless driving causing death and the family is pursuing me with great vigor through the courts for 14,500,000 baht. The fact he was not wearing a helmet does not seem to be important.

C

14 million? That is excessive. Isn't 40,000 nearer the norm for a death? I thought that was why truck drivers ran back over the body - to make sure they were dead and so to save on massive hospital bills.

Obviously because you are not Thai they want a little bit extra compensation.

I would certainly not roll over on that extortion.

I am sure they are trying to hit you up for massive sum as they assume farangs are all rich. Do you have insurance? This kind of thing is why I don't drive here, despite the inconvenience. One time in Chiang Mai, while I was a passenger and my girlfriend was driving the car, she hit a motorcyclist and knocked him down. He didn't appear to be hurt until he saw me and them went into his act. I have a badge from my former job and when he saw it I guess he got scared because he got on bike and took off, but I am sure otherwise he would have somehow tried to get me to pay girlfriend's liability. I am in Nakhon sawan and 2 days ago saw 4 accisents in about 3 km. very dangerous around here, apparently.

I have first class insurance but they initially offered 200k baht, which was rejected. The insurance also included a bail bond of 200k however I ended up posting my own bail as it seemed the insurance company was not too enthusiastic about paying and delayed the process while I spent some time with some interesting characters in the cells!

Initially I was not charged by the police.

The major concern I have is the family is bring a lawyer up from Bangkok to assist the prosecutor at the first hearing. Neither my lawyer or myself can understand that.

C

The police checks are crazy around here. They were there this morning when I drove to work. And they were there when I came back from lunch right in front of Rajabhat. They're waiting for the students to leave for lunch and come back. Bastards.

However, if you just wear a helmet, don't drink and drive and you're good to go. But it seems to me that they're pretty strict around here. Normally I could get away with a lot but I have to talk a little more nowadays. Still works though. Chainat is known for its drivers license checks, Nakhon Sawan for the helmets, Uthai Thani eehhmmm for eehhmmm....

I have first class insurance but they initially offered 200k baht, which was rejected. The insurance also included a bail bond of 200k however I ended up posting my own bail as it seemed the insurance company was not too enthusiastic about paying and delayed the process while I spent some time with some interesting characters in the cells!

Initially I was not charged by the police.

The major concern I have is the family is bring a lawyer up from Bangkok to assist the prosecutor at the first hearing. Neither my lawyer or myself can understand that.

C

I don't want to insinuate anything but it seems that they're either quite sure of their case (i.e., they know which way to go with the Thai legal system without it actually being your fault) or they have connections with people in the right places, or maybe a combination of both. I'm not saying anything about whose fault it is. Another explanation could be that they're just trying their luck.

14.5 million is a bit of a shrill contrast with the money that's been paid to victims before. Ridiculous

Good luck, hope things work out for you.

I am thinking the same. Not a good feeling!

C

You have first class insurance. What was the maximim sum named on the insurance for third party liability . Normally it is between 500,000 upto 1 million baht. Why has your insurance company not offered more ?? It might help to do a bit of detective work yourself and find out who the family are, rich or poor. This might give you an idea as to their connections. Also, was alchohol consumption a factor in the accident ?

Edited by Bangyai

I am sure they are trying to hit you up for massive sum as they assume farangs are all rich. Do you have insurance? This kind of thing is why I don't drive here, despite the inconvenience. One time in Chiang Mai, while I was a passenger and my girlfriend was driving the car, she hit a motorcyclist and knocked him down. He didn't appear to be hurt until he saw me and them went into his act. I have a badge from my former job and when he saw it I guess he got scared because he got on bike and took off, but I am sure otherwise he would have somehow tried to get me to pay girlfriend's liability. I am in Nakhon sawan and 2 days ago saw 4 accisents in about 3 km. very dangerous around here, apparently.

Definitely a regular sight in Nakhon Sawan. Even though I might not be out and about as much lately, not more than a couple of days go by where I do not see the results of an accident. Have to admit that most seem to involve motorcyles.

Look at your g/f / b/f How many scars do they have? Usually as a result of motorcycle accidents. Same if you look closely at many Thai ladies ( or I do :o ) and see scars on their legs and arms. Little or no protection as they wear shorts and tops that leave legs and arms bare.

More seem to have got the message here and are wearing their helmets after all the fines the Police have been issuing.

C

If the accident was your fault....I really hope you have insurance,or no property to lose... :o I really do hope everything works out for you,no body is ever a winner in fatal crashes.But there is no way that they can get 14,500,000 baht out of you for any road accident.When you end up in court,push the fact that the deceased was NOT wearing a helmet,and thus was a significant factor in his death.I look forward to reading more about this case,as it affects every farang living here.PS,did you apply first aid to the victim?There are many way's you can reduce payout's,mostly depending on what happened directly after the accident. :D

Thanks for the comments. I will keep updating as things progress.

A nurse from a local hospital stopped and rendered first aid to the motorcyclist but it did not look good from the moment I saw him.

I do have first class insurance but their initial offer was 200k, this has now been reduced to 100k. The family want money from the insurance and also from me as an individual.

There is no property in either my wife's name or mine, they have threatened action against my wife as the car is in her name.

We have not been able to get any report on the blood alcohol level from the deceased.

I have met a few Farangs that have had similar accidents but none involving fatalities or court cases. My main concern is that the family may push for jail time or attempt to have my bail revoked. As far as I can see they have no security even if they win a judgment against me there are no assets to seize. Most other court judgments I have seen on the net the relatives have been paid a nominal amount, they then state to the court they have been compensated and this reflects in the penalty imposed by the court. I don't know how it affects the penalty if the family is not paid off.

C

Edited by rana391

Thanks for the comments. I will keep updating as things progress.

A nurse from a local hospital stopped and rendered first aid to the motorcyclist but it did not look good from the moment I saw him.

I do have first class insurance but their initial offer was 200k, this has now been reduced to 100k. The family want money from the insurance and also from me as an individual.

There is no property in either my wife's name or mine, they have threatened action against my wife as the car is in her name.

We have not been able to get any report on the blood alcohol level from the deceased.

I have met a few Farangs that have had similar accidents but none involving fatalities or court cases. My main concern is that the family may push for jail time or attempt to have my bail revoked. As far as I can see they have no security even if they win a judgment against me there are no assets to seize. Most other court judgments I have seen on the net the relatives have been paid a nominal amount, they then state to the court they have been compensated and this reflects in the penalty imposed by the court. I don't know how it affects the penalty if the family is not paid off.

C

I would push for a medical record stating that he didn't wear a helmet and that eventually caused the victim to decease, that will definitely take the burden of your shoulders as your no longer the one who directly caused death. Also, that you didn't intentionally hit him and that reckless drive cannot the issue if you hadn't been drinking and or speeding. Try and find court cases of similar incidents to refer to during the hearing and point out that the amount is too high. Besides, they cannot revoke bail only if you form a direct thread to society. And if I were you I would change ownership of the car before they seize that after a court ruling and try to sell it to get money.

But everything depends on who was at fault in this situation and if you had been drinking and or speeding. Those are in the end the things that matter and will be decisive in a court ruling.

Just a technicality: did they take you passport? or have you only been released on bail. It means that if you want to renew your visa, you have to leave the country which would technically be a breach of the bail terms. I would try and find some info on the family, poor/rich etc. Also future prospects of the boy, was an A grade Chula student or a D grade Achiwa bumb? This definitely increases or decreases the amount of money that the family is asking for.

Good luck

At all times show compassion...hard as it may be but is very important.

Showing compassion can, in the eyes of Thai judges, sometimes look the same as pleading guilty.

I would keep up a Thai face if I were you. but to be quite honest, if I were in the OP's position I probably would stay where he's at now.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am still around. Long story short, I got bail and left the country not to return. I had to leave behind a great life, several assets and a bunch of Thai people that wanted me in jail if I didn't pay up.

Any faith I had in the Thai system faded quickly when my insurance company started lying to me as well. I couldn't tell who if anyone had been offered a cut of the payoff but I had a lot of people showing way too much interest in me and my case.

Rana

I am still around. Long story short, I got bail and left the country not to return. I had to leave behind a great life, several assets and a bunch of Thai people that wanted me in jail if I didn't pay up.

Any faith I had in the Thai system faded quickly when my insurance company started lying to me as well. I couldn't tell who if anyone had been offered a cut of the payoff but I had a lot of people showing way too much interest in me and my case.

Rana

Sorry to hear you had to do a runner, leave stuff behind and not be able to return.

I personally feel a great injustice was being waged against you, though by whom it seems is liable to remain a mystery.

Let's hope that you are not going to be hampered in any way by this in the future and that you are allowed to live your life without looking over your shoulder.

There but for the Grace of God - as I had an m/c drive into the side of my stopped car. Luckily I had friends aid me in avoiding any problems and they acted very very quickly.

Best of & take care.

Agree 100% with G54. This shows exactly what lies just beow the surface of LOS. Nobody deserves an experience like yours, the only consolation is that you still have your freedom.

Best wishes for the future.