Where To Go?

I am going to make a trip with the main objective being to visit a Thai embassy/consulate and hopefully get a double-entry (or more if possible?) Tourist Visa. I was planning to go with my GF to either

Singapore

Hong Kong

Kuala Lumpur

or maybe even Penang if the responses to the above are negative.

So my question is - are there any differences in obtaining the visa from the places above? I am planning to probably go for 4D/3N - I assume that will be enough for all the places?

From a sightseeing, tourist-angle - what would you recommend? I haven't been to either and don't know too much about the cities. My girlfriend has never even been on a plane and is no help though she seems to fancy Hong Kong because she can go shopping :o

From a hotel/shopping/eating perspective I assume Hong Kong is the most expensive followed by Singapore and the KL - is that completely wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Assuming your GF has got a regular Thai passport she will not need a visa, not even visa upon arrival. For HKG passport must be valid for at least one month after period of intented stay. Stay allowed for 1 month.

For Singapore p/port must be valid at least 6 months on arrival, stay will be granted for 14 or 30 days.

For Malaysia 6 months beyond expected period of stay. Stay will be granted for max. 1 month.

All destinations require valid return ticket and funds to cover the stay...

As said above, Penang should be the easiest place to apply your visa, and apply in the morning to get it next afternoon. Hong Kong and Singapore are termed as stricter.

Keep Weekends and local as well as Thai holidays in mind, embassies/consulates will be closed.

Shopping in HKG? All my HKG - friends come to Bangkok as even expensive malls are far cheaper than over there. :D

Decisions, decisions on shopping. :o

Thanks a lot for the responses guys.

I figured that Penang is the easiest when it comes to visa as it seems like an industry down there. However I would like to make a small holiday getaway out of it as well if possible - if nothing else to give my gf a memorable experience from her first trip outside Thailand. I am not listening too much to her wishes of going shopping though :o I don't think she really wants to go shopping and she is not an Emporium-girl by any stretch of the imagination. I just think, having never been abroad, she fancies the idea of buying something nice (like a pair of boots), flash 'em to her friends and proudly say: "I bought those in Hong Kong". But shopping is definately not the main objective.

Three follow-ups

1) when you say my GF needs money to cover her stay - how does that work? Does she need to flash some cash or show a full bank book or how? Or is the fact that she is with me enough?

2) when you say that Singapore and Hong Kong are termed as stricter - does that go for normal tourist visas as well? Admittedly I have a lot of both 30 days and Tourist visas in my passport already (actually have just been issued a new passport so it doesn't look too bad) but I have no records of overstay or anything.

If asked I can also produce a truckload of ATM receipts from overseas bank accounts. Are they stricter as in they will don't issue me a

- tourist visa at all

- double-entry

- more than double-entry (I understand this is pretty much a lottery anyway)

3) Any embassies know for taking more than three days to do this? I was planning on probably handing in the application Tuesday morning and picking it up Thursday at the latest. Depending on where I go (flight schedules) I might even hand it in Monday afternoon. Anybody experienced any long delays?

Thanks a lot for any info!

Penang Island is really a very nice change for a few days from Thailand and is easy on the budget. Normal visa process is in morning and back next afternoon.

One thing you may experience is close questioning at immigration if you fly out of Don Muang on a blank passport to make sure she is not leaving to engage in prostitution or under false expectations so you both should be prepared if that happens - it is not aimed at you or her. That would be one reason for me to select Penang for a first trip or to have a holiday booked with a travel agent if going to Hong Kong or Singapore.

Take your girlfriend and yourself to Penang and get your Tourist Visa first...The Visa is the most important thing for YOU! There are some people that offer Visa services for you in Penang..But I like to go to the Counsalte and dod it all myself so I get the answers or questions from the Horses Mouth if you know what I mean..

There is a place in Penang and I'm not adverstising for him or his company MAJU MEHAA SINGH TRAVEL & TOURS, 384 Chukia Street, 10200 Penang.

Tel: 2615170/2634903 or EMAIL: [email protected]....

Very good person as I mett him and I found out from other service providers there that they give all there paperwork to him to get approved at the Counsalate...So he is the bottom line person. He is the man there in Penanag by what I have been told and this was August 2004.

There are many guesthouses on Chulia street and you can walk from the ferry crossing.

Not alot there that I saw but did spend a night in a place near the beach where they have a huge night market but all I saw was the same stuff I see in Thailand except the prices were more there...EXCEPT THEY HAVE THE LATEST VCD'S AND DVD'S AND AT A GOOD PRICE...

Hope this helps but take care of your Visa and stop trying to impress your girlfriend...Without a Visa you cannot impress anyone...

Sorry I'm straight to the point but I'm a retired Marine and I hate people trying to impress or be better than others...

Actually that brings me to another question: I had a new passport issued as the other one was full - so I obvioulsy still have my old one. I asked my embassy if I should pay Suan Plu a visit to have my current stamp "moved" to my new passport but they said it was no problem. I jsut have to bring my old passport with me when I leave Thailand. That way I will be stamped out in the old one and in in the new one (Singapore, HK or whatever). I hope this is true?

But I am not leaving with a blank passport really as I will have my old one with me - packed with stamps.

I have heard many mixed things about Penang - some people say it is only good for one thing (visa), others say it is a nice place as well. I am obviously not a beer-bar kind of guy and maybe it is those who don't like it?

Might have a hard time convincing my gf of the glamour of Penang - she has never even heard of the place... :o

This is not something pathetic about me trying to impress my girlfriend so take it easy. We have been together for a long time and I definately don't need to impress her at all - don't you worry about that.

However she did just have a birthday and it wouldn't hurt to treat her to something nice. And if I can do that + see a new city + make her happy we all win. I am not too worried about the 5000baht+ it will cost to choose KL, HK etc over Penang. I like to travel too and am not addicted to Thailand only.

I am also not trying to get some kind of advanced visa so I didn't imagine it would be putting that at risk to go to somewhere more exciting.

"Sorry I'm straight to the point but I'm a retired Marine and I hate people trying to impress or be better than others..."

I really don't see how this is the case here. I am not 30+ older than my girlfriend, she is in no way a bargirl and I am not trying to make up for my bad looks by showering her with gifts. We are a completely normal, young couple.

Thanks for the other info though.

Penang Island is really a very nice change for a few days from Thailand and is easy on the budget. Normal visa process is in morning and back next afternoon.

One thing you may experience is close questioning at immigration if you fly out of Don Muang on a blank passport to make sure she is not leaving to engage in prostitution or under false expectations so you both should be prepared if that happens - it is not aimed at you or her. That would be one reason for me to select Penang for a first trip or to have a holiday booked with a travel agent if going to Hong Kong or Singapore.

Also Lop, those countries she may enter will do their own questioning.

But I am not leaving with a blank passport really as I will have my old one with me - packed with stamps.

I was thinking of your girl friend who you say has never flown so assumed her passport would be blank and being attractive, young, female with such a passport might cause questions to be asked.

I have always had visa stay transferred with a letter from my Embassy USA but if yours says no not much you can do. Or maybe they have changed procedures.

If you go to Georgetown, Penang I would avoid Chulia for accommodations myself.

Actually that brings me to another question: I had a new passport issued as the other one was full - so I obvioulsy still have my old one. I asked my embassy if I should pay Suan Plu a visit to have my current stamp "moved" to my new passport but they said it was no problem. I jsut have to bring my old passport with me when I leave Thailand. That way I will be stamped out in the old one and in in the new one (Singapore, HK or whatever). I hope this is true?

I have heard many mixed things about Penang - some people say it is only good for one thing (visa), others say it is a nice place as well. I am obviously not a beer-bar kind of guy and maybe it is those who don't like it?

Might have a hard time convincing my gf of the glamour of Penang - she has never even heard of the place... :o

Bring your old passport with you anyway but nevertheless you are in the computer so they know when you came into thailand. I like your attitude for wanting to check out somewhere nice. Forget about Penang, the place is a hole. I've never been to KL but I can assure you that HK and Singapore are decent.

I was thinking of your girl friend who you say has never flown so assumed her passport would be blank and being attractive, young, female with such a passport might cause questions to be asked.

I have always had visa stay transferred with a letter from my Embassy USA but if yours says no not much you can do. Or maybe they have changed procedures.

If you go to Georgetown, Penang I would avoid Chulia for accommodations myself.

Ah I see - that makes more sense than what I was on about :o

Am hoping she will be alright. Her passport was issued five years ago but never used. But I guess at least that shows she didn't have one made just for this trip.

We are both 24 and don't look too dodgy so I hope I won't be mistaken for a pimp :D

As for my embassy they gave me a letter to go with my new passport stating that a new one had been issued as the old one was full.

Once again thanks for all the help guys.

I guess the only question left is whether there will be any difference in getting a double-entry tourist visa issued at the embassies in HK, KL, Singapore and Penang.

Considering I've been to all four cities- KL, Singapore, Penang, HK. I would say Penang's the best option. It's fast and must easier to get the visa. Singapore was pretty good, however, its gonna cost you a fortune for the hotels.

HK is okay, BUT your gf is bound to face some serious 'questioning' sessions. I was with my Thai gf and they just wont let her go, even though I was travelling with her. That was not a very pleasant experience..

KL is great, but didnt find the shopping that great. Price wise, Penang offers the same thing but at a lower price.

I'll say Penang would be a better option, not the best but still a good shopping destination. BTW all Thais know Penang...

As for your passport. The Immigration Office should have transferred your visa stamp to your new p/port. I juz got my new p/port renewed last year. Took 30mins to do.

Not much more I can add. Your passport is ok and you only want a tourist visa.

Basically alright in any of the four places.

Penang, personally I like and stay out at Bathu Ferringhi, may be not much fun, it is a beach.

K.L., well not much to do there.

Singapore, might be a bit boring, every thing efficient, but with GF. OK, shopping, I said it b4, Bangkok is cheaper.

So for GF, Hong Kong. Very big airport. You can explain, Bangkok will be same, same soon. :o Downtown, first time visitor nice. Walking, shopping (window I say) everything close. Bustling place, so after all some excitement.

I said it already, decisions, decisions. :D

Visa? I think even the guys in good old Fairmont House in Hong Kong should be ok for a TR-Visa.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy where ever you go.

Ah and btw. don't take the money rule too serious. It's in the books, like Malaysia wants a minimum of US$ 500.00. Usually, they never check and, you said, you both look respectable. Walk together through immigration counter, wherever you go. They like couples and should not give you any problem.

Not much more I can add. Your passport is ok and you only want a tourist visa.

Basically alright in any of the four places.

Penang, personally I like and stay out at Bathu Ferringhi, may be not much fun, it is a beach.

K.L., well not much to do there.

Singapore, might be a bit boring, every thing efficient, but with GF. OK, shopping, I said it b4, Bangkok is cheaper.

So for GF, Hong Kong. Very big airport. You can explain, Bangkok will be same, same soon. :o Downtown, first time visitor nice. Walking, shopping (window I say) everything close. Bustling place, so after all some excitement.

I said it already, decisions, decisions. :D

Visa? I think even the guys in good old Fairmont House in Hong Kong should be ok for a TR-Visa.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy where ever you go.

Ah and btw. don't take the money rule too serious. It's in the books, like Malaysia wants a minimum of US$ 500.00. Usually, they never check and, you said, you both look respectable. Walk together through immigration counter, wherever you go. They like couples and should not give you any problem.

Thanks a lot - if not for the answers then for the assurance.

I was basically wondering if there were any conditions that would rule out me going to any of these locations more than a clearcut recommendation and I don't think there is so that is great.

I guess it really is down to HK or Penang. Penang sounds very straight-forward and it really comes down whether it is "a hole" or not - sounds like there are mixed views on this. I will have a look at some websites and see if it sounds okay.

Once again thanks - very helpful responses.

I personally found Penang to be pretty boring - I am not girlie-bar oriented either, so I would not even know about that scene anywhere. Still, I would recommend you to go to Penang for the visa's sake. There are a few temples around that are ok, and a couple of beaches too.

Singapore is actually a great place for touristing if you get the right inroads (knowing some locals is as always best, and this is probably why I got a favourable impression). The restaurants by the beach walk are nice. Sentosa Island's theme park and aquarium is bound to impress your GF.. Expect to spend a bit of cash though, Singapore is not as cheap as Thailand.

on 2nd glance, just go to Penang. forget about everywhere else. the above poster said his gf was not allowed into HK. It aint worth it. You're on a visa run and Penang is best place for a visa run. Forget about combining business with pleasure. The guy who commented about not needing to impress is clearly right. Anyhow, this is a message board for visa advice. This is not the Lonely Planet board. If you want to find out about tourist destinations, try them

Might have a hard time convincing my gf of the glamour of Penang - she has never even heard of the place... :D

Bring your old passport with you anyway but nevertheless you are in the computer so they know when you came into thailand. I like your attitude for wanting to check out somewhere nice. Forget about Penang, the place is a hole. I've never been to KL but I can assure you that HK and Singapore are decent.

That is good advice Bob. :o

I recently took my Thai girlfriend on a visa run to Penang, it was the first time she had needed a passport too. Yes she was bored a little most days, and we investigated almost every shopping mall and market area, and after the visa (double tourist) was there we spent a few days on Langkawi, a fairly easy boat ride away. Some nice beaches (start on Centang), and a great place I thought to hang out for a little break from Thailand, though I spend most of the time in Chiang Mai so I am impressed more easily by the sea!.

It was interesting for her (non-Buddhist country etc) and she saw a lot of fish (Waterworld), and we brought back a lot of cheap quality clothes (tax free on Langkawi) and Malaysia quality seems to be way above Thailand even if the prices are higher. However the first thing we bought was a pair of 100 baht shoes, so we were off to a easy start! We'll probably do just a quick run to Penang only next time I need it, unless KL sounds alright for a double visa, as there are more islands to choose from there.

• 2 weeks later...

MAJU MEHAA SINGH TRAVEL & TOURS, 384 Chukia Street, 10200 Penang.

I saw this Visa service on the forum, I was wondering if anyone has used this guy's services in Penang and if you have what did it cost?? Thanks. Appreciate the info.