Qatar Airways & Long Transit Time In Doha

what the transfer desk can do, at most, is to put you on a gatwick airplane. Passengers sometimes have to wait for their connection 24h in the airport, not allowing to leave it.

the more convenient connection costs more and many choose the cheapest option.

if your passport requires visa and you want to leave the airport, you have to organise it beforehand or for some other passports you can get it on arrival. Emmigration will give a transit visa only if your flight was delayed and you were allocated hotel by the transfer desk

Hi all,

I had my 12 hour stop over at Doha and this what happened.

The DID NOT provide free accommodation. We did haggle at the desk and gave the IATA regulation rule but they said since we opted for an online price we were not entitled for free accommodation.

But we did get the Oryx lounge which was a good escape for passengers waiting for more than 6 hours. It was 140 Qatari Riyals. If you are travelling on a low budget take your ticket to the counter where you get a token to use at any of the food courts.

Here is my analysis

Good points

Unlimited Free food and Drink (much more better than the filth they serve at the food courts)

Clean showers

Less crowds

Free internet

TV facility (but limited)

Bad points

Seats are uncomfortable to sit in

No place to sleep

Sometimes too quiet, and you need to check your flight's timing

OVERALL: value for money

Doha airport analysis

GOOD POINTS:

Small and easy to navigate

Alot of friendly English speaking people to help

Duty free accepts nearly all currencies

Free Wifi

Bad Points

Small and expensive duty free

All nationals cannot avail a on the spot Qatari visa

Unclean toilets

Mainly Labour class travellers

A long bus ride from plane to airport for arrivals only

OVERALL: for short stay, it is quite a good place.

Hope this helps

Browsing the QR website recently, I noticed that DOH-LGW will be getting a second daily flight, arriving early-evening in London, from this Spring, which may help some people ?

Unfortunately their morning flight out of BKK still departs too early, for those of us who don't live in BKK/Patters, to make the connection. Sigh ...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I had my 12 hour stop over at Doha and this what happened.

The DID NOT provide free accommodation. We did haggle at the desk and gave the IATA regulation rule but they said since we opted for an online price we were not entitled for free accommodation.

I have jus flew back Bangkok London Heathrow with a planned 14h layover in Doha and to Gatwick (because it was the cheapest airfare).

First I have tried to change my doha - London leg yet in Bangkok, byt they told me I would have to pay for change of the ticket.

On arrival to Doha at noon I went to transit desk on the ground floor (to the right from the security check for passenger arriving from the other airports) to ask for an earlier flight. The heathrow flight was already closed so they told me to come back in 2h to try an evening flight to heathrow.

I tried my luck with yet another transfer desk on the first floor (opposite gate 10), but they told me to come back in 5h.

At 2pm I came back to the ground floor transit desk and got a 6pm flight without paying a penny. I saved some £100 over booking a ticket with a short layover and departing from heathrow instead of gatwick

• 6 months later...

I have seen many posts on this thread saying that Qatar no longer give free accomodation. But when you book your ticket ONLINE with them there is this message:

Long Stopovers

Qatar Airways provides passengers with accommodation, meals and ground transportation if their scheduled connection time in Doha is more than 8 hours but less than 24 hours. However, this facility is applicable only on certain itineraries or routes. For more information contact your local Qatar Airways office or travel agent. For itineraries or routes that are not eligible for free accommodation, meals or ground transportation, passengers may opt to pay additional charges. The following charges will apply:

Economy class passengers - $125 per person

First and Business Class passengers - $150 per person which includes Al-Maha meet and greet service

Long Stopovers must be pre-booked 72 hours prior to arrival in Doha.

As I have a stopover of 8 hours 30 mins coming up soon I will contact their London Booking office, who handled the Internet booking, and let you know the result.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi

We are flying from Manchester to Bangkok in November 2009 and have an 8 hour stopover going out and 7.5 hours one on the way back at Doha Airport (Qatar Airways). We booked the flights because they were cheap compared to others and the airline has good reviews but I am worried about the stopovers. They are in the middle of the night (arrival at midnight and 12.30am respectively) and don't fly out til 8am the following morning so sightseeing is out of the question.

From reading this thread and ones on virtual tourist and tripadvisor it seems that free hotel accommodation isn't an option anymore unless you book the flexible economy tickets (currently at over £1000 for the same flights that we've booked). I did check this with our travel agent before booking.

The Oryx lounge seems a good option especially as they now seem to serve alcohol, but it is $39 per person per 'stay'. Which isn't that cheap but is probably preferable to sleeping in the transit lounge! And is cheaper than the $125 per person per stay for the hotel etc service. I found this on the Doha Airport website (via Qatar Airways website)

"Oryx Lounge

'Still have time before boarding? Come and relax at the new ORYX LOUNGE. It is a premium lounge that caters to Airlines' First and Business Class passengers. It has a seating capacity of 164 passengers. Enjoy the quiet ambience, relax and enjoy our facilities which include business centre with 02 workstations, international fax facilities, meeting room for 04 guests, internet corner with 04 work stations, Wi-Fi accessibility throughout the lounge, nursery room, cloak room, shower facilities, toilet facility for physically challenged guests, smoking room, food and beverage.

We charge a nominal fee of QAR 140 (USD 39) for all other passengers while they wait for their flight.

Our lounge attendants would be happy to serve your needs.

Conveniently located opposite Boarding Gate no. 7 and Costa Coffee of the main DIA Terminal.

For more information contact 465 6658.'"

Thought it might be helpful for other people with stopovers. If anyone has had any recent experiences of the Long stopover service or the Oryx lounge I'd appreciate hearing about it as I'm a bit worried about it all and not looking forward to the stopovers!

I have done the 8 hour night stopover. Time goes slow but just try and get some rest in the lounge. Be aware the lights are bright and the air-con can be harsh.

Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks are available, if you can't sleep take a good book or a walkman. If you are with someone it is better because you can chat, also free internet access if you have a laptop.

It is nothing to worry about, the airport is not too bad and it does go very quiet after 2.00 am.

• 2 months later...
I have seen many posts on this thread saying that Qatar no longer give free accomodation. But when you book your ticket ONLINE with them there is this message:

Long Stopovers

Qatar Airways provides passengers with accommodation, meals and ground transportation if their scheduled connection time in Doha is more than 8 hours but less than 24 hours. However, this facility is applicable only on certain itineraries or routes. For more information contact your local Qatar Airways office or travel agent. For itineraries or routes that are not eligible for free accommodation, meals or ground transportation, passengers may opt to pay additional charges. The following charges will apply:

Economy class passengers - $125 per person

First and Business Class passengers - $150 per person which includes Al-Maha meet and greet service

Long Stopovers must be pre-booked 72 hours prior to arrival in Doha.

As I have a stopover of 8 hours 30 mins coming up soon I will contact their London Booking office, who handled the Internet booking, and let you know the result.

Chris

Thanks for the update. :):D