Neem Oil

grrr

I've just learned about neem oil, from the neem tree (sadao in Thai), which I would like to try on some of my lamyai trees to get rid of sooty mold. I have seen it mentioned it in some past discussions in the farming forum, so is the oil for sale in Thailand, specifically Chiang Rai?

• Like 1

I've just learned about neem oil, from the neem tree (sadao in Thai), which I would like to try on some of my lamyai trees to get rid of sooty mold. I have seen it mentioned it in some past discussions in the farming forum, so is the oil for sale in Thailand, specifically Chiang Rai?

Yes - you should be able to buy it up there - about Baht 60-80 p/bottle, but don't ask me about its usefulness in that regard, I haven't got a clue - it is a natural remedy used for all sorts of things - our "naturalist" member Chownah I'm sure will be able to help you out.

I"ve never used neem oil and don't know where to get it....try farm supply stores...the one I like is located as follows:

When coming into Chiangrai city from the south on the "superhighway" just before you get to the first light...about 50 metres before the first light......you can pull off the road and onto an access street or drive which parallels the main road and dead ends quickly very near the traffic light. There are about 4 businesses on this little frontage street...one sells agricultural supplies. They sell garden packets for seeds and also larger quantities...all different kinds of poisons....rat poison in tablet form....small utensils...hose.....fertilizers in bulk and also in small garden size bags....sheet plastic....poly pipe......I like these people so I thought I'd do a little advertising for them.....so.....for all your agricultural needs just go to these nice folks....it is likely that they either have the neem oil or know who might.

Chownah

Should you not be able to find any for sale, you should be able to find sadao trees very easily and make your own neem oil. I did so some years ago to use on my cattle (being unable to find neem oil for sale). I used the leaves, though the seeds produce more oil. Just crush them, adding a little water. I ended up using a normal food liquidiser for quickness then just filtered it.

I made a large batch once only and sprayed it on my cattle - it was quite successful. I switched back to chemicals for ease/cost since it required rather a lot to treat 160 head.

Khonwan

Thanks again for the information. We are doing everything organic, so from previous reading in this forum, chownah will probably be bothered by my questions more than Maizefarmer.

One interesting note my wife turned up today on the Internet, the "sadao" tree is called a "saliam" tree in Northern Thai. We actually have two tiny ones growing on our land!

I've always known it as "Thaineem" - has quite a few uses

1) mix the oil with parrafin and use it as mossie repellent (put it in a bottle with a cap on and insert a buring wick).

2) dilute with water at about 1:20 ratio and dip fresh water fish (and meat) in it for about 20secs before hanging up to dry - again its insect repellant properties keep flys and other bugs off the drying food.

3) cane cutters rub the fresh leaves on their skin to keep bugs off when working in fields.

No nothing about its anti-mold properties, but considering the above that makes perfect sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi This is Charu, from Saraburi. if you need neem oil i can supply in bulk please ping me...

Hi Charu, I'm insterested and echo Maizefarmer's questions: in what quantities and what cost?

Edited by grrr

• 4 months later...

Neem is a source of environment-friendly biopesticides. Among the isolated neem constituents, limonoids (such as Azadirachtin) are effective in insect growth-regulating activity. The unique feature of neem products is that they do not directly kill the pests, but alter the life-processing behavior in such a manner that the insect can no longer feed, breed or undergo metamorphosis. However, this does not mean that the plant extracts are harmful to all insects. Since, to be effective, the product has to be ingested, only the insects that feed on plant tissues succumb. Those that feed on nectar or other insects (such as butterflies, bees, and ladybugs) hardly accumulate significant concentrations of neem products.

Preparation: 2 kg each of neem tree leaves, citronella leaves and galangal rhizome, powder, grind with 20 liters of water, macerate for one day, filter, use as stock solution, 300-500 ml of stock solution, dilute with 20 liters of water, spray field.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

To the original purpose of the treatment,

mold on trees.

Have a look at Bordeaux mixture,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture

a water solution of copper sulfate and calcium hydroxide,

both readily available in any quantity you like

It also knocks out insects,

but a caution, the copper is very strong in the soil,

and used recklessly will harm earthworms and helpful bacteria

Plants require a reasonable amount in the soil,

so it's only a good thing in controlled use.

You dissolve the two compounds separately,

since they react chemically when both in the same solution,

using them mixed together only in the amount you intend so spray that day.

• 8 months later...

Just stumbled on around 200 Neem trees 12-15 meters high.

The property owner gladly gave me permission to harvest every last leaf as needed.

The trees will grow more immediately.

If there is interest in a commercial quantity of Neem leaf

starting immediately after I pick and dry it,

followed by the seed in its season,

then please send a message.

I hate to guess how much total is available,

but let's estimate each tree will have 20 kg of dried leaf.

So a total of perhaps 4,000 kg?

Haven't estimated a fair price for it,

as I haven't yet sent the men up the trees on ladders

to see how much they can harvest in a day.

If you'd like me to process it further,

I'm more than happy to hear what should be done.

Bark, Sap, Wood, Root?

These trees are big and well established,

so even harvesting some high branch wood would not be harmful.

I boiled a small pot a few weeks ago,

bright green leaves make a reddish brown tea,

with fluorescent yellow oil floating

I read it is better to steep the dried leaves in ambient water

because heat damages the active ingredient.

Just stumbled on around 200 Neem trees 12-15 meters high.

The property owner gladly gave me permission to harvest every last leaf as needed.

The trees will grow more immediately.

Let me speak for the trees, because I love neem and their natural form and beauty is incredible. How about before you send your guys up to strip them bare that you consider harvesting 20% of the foliage at a time, and remember that they are living things and not just a commodity. don

Hi DrTreeLove

20 percent will be fine then.

I strip every fifth tree?

Just razzing you,

I understand the importance.

To the other extreme,

We will pick every fifth leaf on the petiole alternating sides.

I have a T-Shirt message you'll appreciate.

From a student at North Carolina State University

School of Forestry

One of the world's premier tree care centers of higher learning

Front of Shirt Earth First

Back of Shirt We'll Log the Other Planets Later

The question remains,

After I pick 20%,

Where is the market?

We'll have to have a new thread: "Trees stripped bare by humanoids overnight"

I've seen that shirt and a bumper sticker too; my logger friend in northern Calif loves to rub it in my tree hugger face.

I don't know about a market for neem, there was a poster who responded to a previous thread on neem and said he was a supplier and offered pure neem extract out of Saraburi. You might contact him.

As far as final product and effectiveness, I'm not familiar with the process, but I do know there is a difference. Some products claim a more controlled, refined active ingredient.

Search Abemectin products.

I spent a couple of years in India and came to love the neem trees that grow there in abundance. They're beautiful as well as useful in many ways. In south India the villagers use a cut 1/4 inch or so diameter stem as a toothbrush; they chew and fray one end then brush with it, claiming it a key to dental health exceeding modern toothbrush/toothpaste methods, and of course free to the tree owner or gatherer.

• 2 weeks later...