Sewing Machine...

LazyCat

I don't really know if any lady here uses one but I would like to spend my free time trying to make something for myself ( probably because there is not much clothes my size in stores and all those taylors when see the design I want just say oooo nooo only suits ! ) well the problem is I don't know where to get any sewing machine... I have seen them some time ago being sold at Emporium but the prices were around 30 000 bht.... and honestly I would like to practice or try out first before I buy, so if you know where can I find a dealer like showroom that can show me the use of each model and recommend what's right for me that would be great...or maybe a place where I can come and use one for some payment ( my friend told me that she has done this before but it's been ages )

We looked for a 'reasonably price' sewing machine last year. Basically the only electric machines were expensive and over priced. In the end bought a machine in the UK (£39 from Lidl for a lovely machine) and brought it out.

Shame is many of the machines are made around Lampang (near Chiang Mai) but are not available in Thailand.

Guest Reimar

At Atsadang Road, near to the Sanam Luang are several shops with new and 2. Hand Sewing Machines. Not difficult to find: if you turn in to Atsandang Road at the Royal Hotel and than down the Street about 250 m the shops on the left side of the Road, right is an Klong.

Cheers.

If all you want to do is sew clothes all you really need is a machine with straight and zig-zag stitch. I picked up a 1960s era machine, in a lovely cabinet, converted from electric to treadle, for 8000 baht. Works perfectly. They were quite anxious to re-electrify it for me. I should have let them, as I like to use both hands to guide the fabric. I have to use one hand to start the handwheel turning so I can then treadle. Ah, well.

All those fancy electronics and embroidery stitches are a waste unless you will actually use them. You can get by without even zig-zag, but it's so much easier with.

There's an American lady just recently arrived in BKK who ran a sewing/quilting shop in the US and we all hope she opens one here!

It's hard to find fabric that isn't a polyester blend.

More than a year ago, I saw one showroom in Nana Square on Sukhumvit called Weath or something, on 2nd floor. They let customers test but the price was over my budget. I'm not fancy the 30,000 Baht type. It was a kind to place on any surface, not the huge old model which sticks with the leg frame.

My sister in law gave me one old machine but the part holding needle is bent after so many times the needles were broken. I can't sew anything nice but can do some fixing for casual clothes, like if the jeans are too long, I cut & sew myself without bringing to the tailor.

Cathy, can I ask where you bought your machine from? Thank you.

Here in Nakhon Ratchasima. A little shop on Suranaree Rd, IIRC. A bit west of the monument. They had lots of real old machines, Singers or fake Singers and a few merely old Janome machines like mine. No new machines at all.

Reimar your directions are they fror Bangkok or for the place where you live? Atsadang Road doesnt ring any bells for me.... at all... cou.dyou let me know what are the price range for those 2nd hand machines?

I live in bangkok and I was hoping to get a good machine that would take jeans material without a problem I don't need the embroidery type...I have seen once JAnome booth with machines for sale here ( some special promo action with really good prices ) but had no time to stop and ask the sales girl about where is their main showroom and next time they were gone already ...and I tried to call Janome to ask of whereabouts of their showroom they have told me they do for export only....

I have a few extra home style sewing machines laying about in our shop. I would be happy to cut you a great deal on any one of them. Have to look at the books but I would sell them for the current asset value which I doubt is more than 4000 baht. Each of them has a nice cabinet and have been electrified.

PM me if you are interested. I can even arrange the delivery for you.

today I have stumbledacross this workshop in Emporium many brands of sewing machines elvira elna janome bernina... some are below 10 000 bht.. but now I really don't know if any of them will be equally good and thai sales girls say any of them will do anything you like

so confused !

Here in Nakhon Ratchasima. A little shop on Suranaree Rd, IIRC. A bit west of the monument. They had lots of real old machines, Singers or fake Singers and a few merely old Janome machines like mine. No new machines at all.

Thank you Cathy.

Edited by greenmember

• 2 weeks later...
Reimar your directions are they fror Bangkok or for the place where you live? Atsadang Road doesnt ring any bells for me.... at all... cou.dyou let me know what are the price range for those 2nd hand machines?

I live in bangkok and I was hoping to get a good machine that would take jeans material without a problem I don't need the embroidery type...I have seen once JAnome booth with machines for sale here ( some special promo action with really good prices ) but had no time to stop and ask the sales girl about where is their main showroom and next time they were gone already ...and I tried to call Janome to ask of whereabouts of their showroom they have told me they do for export only....

right in chinatown, on Rama IV (after you go over the klong bridge, passed Hua Lumpong, on the left side of the street, if you hit the Mo Mee intersection you've gone too far) there are a few shops selling sewing machines. these are basic, industrial machines and inexpensive, too.

i'm sure you know this there are some decent tailors can whip up anything cheaply and do a lot of women's clothing. ours makes jeans, too (everything but the cute embrodery on the pockets but such is life). having spent a lot of time sewing before i moved here, stuff like that is very tedious and complicated unless you're already quite skilled.

• 4 weeks later...

As we’re on this topic, I have a question. I have some T-shirts and want to make them a little smaller in the middle of the back but the sewing machine doesn't accept this material. It works on cotton and jeans but not T-shirt material.

Do you have the same problem?

Guest Reimar

Atsadang Road is at Bangkok, near to the Sanam Luang. If you take a Taxi to the Royal Hotel, tha building is on the corner Ratchdamri Road/Atsadang Road. Walking down the Atsadang Road, the shops on ths left side, on the right side is an Klong.

As far as I remeber the price for 2. Hdn. starting by about 2 k.

Cheers.

As we’re on this topic, I have a question. I have some T-shirts and want to make them a little smaller in the middle of the back but the sewing machine doesn't accept this material. It works on cotton and jeans but not T-shirt material.

You need a special needle to sew on knits like t-shirt fabric. They are called ball-point needles, because the tips are not really sharp. They should be very easily available.

Your feed dogs may not be up to sewing on knits, either. You might have to use some thin nonwoven interfacing on the bottom of the fabric as you sew for the feed dogs to feed the fabric nicely. You should be able to simply tear it off when you are done sewing, if it's the real thin stuff.

At the Mall Ngam Wong Wan (and I would assume all the 'The Malls') the sewing machine area is in the linen/homewhare section. I bought an Elvira a few years back for 5000 baht new. It's a simple little machine that only does 12 different types of stitches. I was told that Elivas are Asian made Elnas and are part of the same company. You definitely don't want to be spending lots unless you are really sure you will use it. I used mine heaps for a couple of months but it now sits in a cupboard as I am too lazy and tailors in the soi are so much easier than doing things myself (and very cheap)!

Edited by sylvafern

Thank you Cathyy. I'll ask the seller of the needles. Thanks for the feed dogs tip also.

Sylva and Kiwi, I only use the sewing machine when I make the jeans shorter or fix something. I buy clothes instead as the tailor here charges quite high.

Edited by greenmember

• 2 months later...

I don't really know if any lady here uses one but I would like to spend my free time trying to make something for myself ( probably because there is not much clothes my size in stores and all those taylors when see the design I want just say oooo nooo only suits ! ) well the problem is I don't know where to get any sewing machine... I have seen them some time ago being sold at Emporium but the prices were around 30 000 bht.... and honestly I would like to practice or try out first before I buy, so if you know where can I find a dealer like showroom that can show me the use of each model and recommend what's right for me that would be great...or maybe a place where I can come and use one for some payment ( my friend told me that she has done this before but it's been ages )

[/quot abt e]

heloooo are u still in bangkok?? have you been to Seri Center??? they have sewing machines abt 5000 - 8000 baht... I am also looking for one sewing machine coz i also like to make things as I am still new to Bangkok and i dun have much frens here, I am marrying to a Thai here tats why I am staying in Bangkok now.

Anyway nice to know u

Alternatively if yu don't want to take your clothes to the tailors because they charge alot, take it to one of the people sitting outside banks or on the roadside where they have a sewing machine and some scissors. They will gladly shorten your pants for you for about 40 baht!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As Reimer says, there are plenty in the shops along Atsadang Road. However, if you are new to sewing you might do well to consider buying from somewhere that offers free lessons . We found that the SINGER head office in Pahonyothin Road has a wide range of machines from about 4000 baht up and if you purchase from them they will teach you how to get the best from your machine for free. The nearest BTS station is Saphan Kwai and the shop itself is a short walk from the station on the lefthand side of the road and heading north. It is about 200 metres before you reach Chatuchak market. The basic Singer which all the street tailors use is all in black and only does straight stitch but is VERY robust and easy to learn on. It comes in its own cabinet and is quiet hefty but worth the 4000 baht price tag. For an extra 300 baht they will attach a motor so you don't have to use the foot pedal. My mother says that these machines do a beautiful stitch and are good for 90 % of things you may want to use it for.post-61826-1223042369_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a secondhand sewing machine for sale if anybody is interested. I am up in Chaing Mai, there is an ad in the Classifieds:

"TYPICAL brand sewing machine model GC6-28-1, space needed for new machine, best offers over 3000 baht. Can deliver."

Please PM me if you are interested.