Number One Pizza In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

Where is your favorite place to go for pizza in CM?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried most of the pizzerias listed. Have still never had a good pizza in Chiang Mai. Heading up to Pai tomorrow. I hope Amido's is open at lunchtime.

It opens at 6pm. The days are reserved for tending to the dough so it's right for nighttime. He only makes 30 pizzas a night in low season (now), up to 50 in high season. Best to dine early in the evening to avoid disappointment if he runs out.

The pizza at the Duke's has gotten better and better over the last two years and it is great almost every time I order it now. What do you think? Can another pizza in town stand up to the Duke's thin crust? :o

Anyone ever try the Pizza at La Lanterna Di Genova on Ratchadamnoen Rd?

Don't think that's on the survey list and was always curious but never tried it.

Ok we have reached a point in the survey that needs to be addressed.

The maximum number of options per group is 20 but we can have different groups.

I suggest we split the above list into:

1) American style

2) Italian style

any sugggestions of an additional group will be considered but what I need is for one of our "pizza gurus" to divide the complete list of pizza restaurants mentioned in this thread into the categories.

Once done I will create a new poll and reset the counters.

You will then be able to revote for your favourite pizza in either or both categories. That should satisfy most of you but I am not expecting too much due to past experience :o

CB

Crowboy makes a good suggestion for re-organizing the thread. But at the risk of triggering a diversionary debate, there should be a preliminary, generally agreed - even if a little imprecise - definition of an italian, and american pizza. The italian definition should clarify whether it is northern, or southern italian. Sounds pedantic, maybe even pompous, but I think helpful. (Some people - eg me - loath a deep bready base, weighed down with everything but the kitchen sink; and prefer the light and slightly crispy northern italian version with just a few toppings, eg mozzarella and then lots of rocket after it's out of the oven.)

Crowboy makes a good suggestion for re-organizing the thread. But at the risk of triggering a diversionary debate, there should be a preliminary, generally agreed - even if a little imprecise - definition of an italian, and american pizza. The italian definition should clarify whether it is northern, or southern italian. Sounds pedantic, maybe even pompous, but I think helpful. (Some people - eg me - loath a deep bready base, weighed down with everything but the kitchen sink; and prefer the light and slightly crispy northern italian version with just a few toppings, eg mozzarella and then lots of rocket after it's out of the oven.)

Sonds good to me - so are the categories:

1) Thin and skimpy

2) Thick and loaded

your choice - your pizza. Just let me know the categories and then split them into the divisions accordingly

CB

"Naples Pizzeria on 70/15 Chang Moi Rd. just before the Mike's Burgers corner in the same complex as Hells Kitchen."

This where they've always been, but street address is wrong. Should be Chaiyaphum Rd.

The parking lot is right after North Wheels Car Rental, then walk in to the back of the complex. Haven't been for a while, used to go to the bar next door and order the Pizza to eat there and play pool but the bars closed down and the quality of the Pizza isn't as good as it used to be.

One that I like (Italian) is Spaghetti - (I think thats the name), I don't know the street name but its on the road opposite Loi Kroh on the inside of the moat, about 100M down from the moat (going against the traffic). I don't go for the big overblown Farang places like the Dukes, Stephano's, Buonissimo etc. This is a small, quiet place bit touristy but the pizza ain't bad.

I've tried most of the pizzerias listed. Have still never had a good pizza in Chiang Mai. Heading up to Pai tomorrow. I hope Amido's is open at lunchtime.

It opens at 6pm. The days are reserved for tending to the dough so it's right for nighttime. He only makes 30 pizzas a night in low season (now), up to 50 in high season. Best to dine early in the evening to avoid disappointment if he runs out.

I finally tried Amidos and was MOST impressed. One of those pizzas that taste good no matter the style you prefer.

It actually might be worth a trip to Pai for real pizza nuts!

• 2 months later...

In the mood for some pizza last night -- which happens not that frequently -- I decided to try Paradise Pizza, which as of yesterday at least had gathered the second highest number of votes on this poll, following the Duke's, whose pizzas I already knew.

Not bad, exactly, but not particularly good, and I simply cannot imagine anyone voting for Paradise Pizza who had also tried the Duke's.

I'm a little surprised that 'Pizza Pizza' hasn't been mentioned on this thread. I used to often drop in there when I fancied pizza (Italian Style) in Chiang Mai. It used to be run by a young Italian guy and his Thai wife but I have a feeling he went back to Italy to continue the family business there. (also pizzas). It's down the little alleyway to the left of Suriwong plaza, close to Bean's Gone Guesthouse (Formerly Mr Bean's Guest House) and opposite a Guesthouse/Cafe called 'Paris' (I think).http://pizzapizza.zip.io/ (Not the greatest website, I must admit).

Edited by thecatman

"Please don't forget that we are not in Manhattan.

Can you tell us where to get a better American style pizza in Thailand? :D "

But I was there just three weeks ago (Manhattan) and I ate a slice on just about every corner for two days straight... Surely got my fill....But now I'm back in Thailand, where's my somtom???

Since being in CM I have only gotten PizzaHut since I can rely on the quality and know they deliver. Although I kind of get tired of them so can anyone tell me who in CM will deliver out to CM-Hangdong rd, near the Big C area?

By the way, my all time fav pizza ever is a place in Colorado Springs, CO called Leon Gessi's Pizza.. They actually hand tossed their dough in a glass room for all to see..... Makes my mouth water just writing about it after all those years.... :o

Edited by dingdongrb

I'm a little surprised that 'Pizza Pizza' hasn't been mentioned on this thread. I used to often drop in there when I fancied pizza (Italian Style) in Chiang Mai. It used to be run by a young Italian guy and his Thai wife but I have a feeling he went back to Italy to continue the family business there. (also pizzas). It's down the little alleyway to the left of Suriwong plaza, close to Bean's Gone Guesthouse (Formerly Mr Bean's Guest House) and opposite a Guesthouse/Cafe called 'Paris' (I think).http://pizzapizza.zip.io/ (Not the greatest website, I must admit).

i have had pizza here twice. once when they first opened and agian a couple of months ago.

i had the worst pizza i have ever had anywhere on the face of the planet at this hole in the wall.

thin crust. ok.

toppings. uhh, where are the toppings? you know. things like CHEESE?

what i got was a baked crust with a coloring of sauce about 4 pieces of meat and no, count it, zero, zilch, zippo, nada, none ... CHEESE. but they did supply a shaker of Parmesan. i suppose that qualifies as meeting the terms of their menu description.

you like this place you are either delusional or a a shill for the owner. (now absent. good idea)

Edited by altman

i have had pizza here twice. once when they first opened and agian a couple of months ago.

i had the worst pizza i have ever had anywhere on the face of the planet at this hole in the wall.

you like this place you are either delusional or a a shill for the owner. (now absent. good idea)

It was so bad that you went twice!!!!

Maybe I'm not delusional, maybe I went when the Italian Guy was there making the pizza (and maybe he has now gone back). :o

Edited by thecatman

It was so bad that you went twice!!!!

Maybe I'm not delusional, maybe I went when the Italian Guy was there making the pizza (and maybe he has now gone back). :o

trying to be fair, i gave them a second chance after a poor showing at the opening.

you think the owner wouldn't have been there over-seeing production at the opening?

regardless, a pizza described on the menu as having cheese on it should probably have cheese on it, don't you think... ?

but those of you who enjoy reddish-colored-baked-crusts of bread with zero calories added may find this to your liking. perhaps i made a mistake and ordered the dieters special.... hmmm. maybe that's it.

One of my favorites is Koh Lanta Pizza on Soi 1 Kotchasan Rd. Brick oven style.. Not greasy.. Good toppings, etc. There was a write up of March issue of City Life Mag (Talk of The Town section). Definately worth checking out!

-Mestizo

I had a calzone at Dukes around songkran. I was expecting good things after reading some of the posts in this thread, but was to be considerably disappointed.

The calzone was served to me on a cold plate. Now I'm no restaurateur, but I do know that you serve hot food on a warm/hot plate. That's not rocket science. On cutting the calzone in half and beginning to eat it, I found that the centre was almost lukewarm. The ingredients inside seemed like they hadn't really been cooked - the onion was still rawish, the was no fusion of flavours.

Usually I would complain about such incompetence, certainly I would back home, but I was with a Thai woman, kreng jai bla bla bla... on top of which I had an 5 day songkran hangover and I was starving, so I kept quiet and ate the clazone.

sorry Dukes, but it was crap.

And turn the air con down a notch, it's like a fridge in there! Like being at the cinema - take a jacket.

On a positive note, I had a nice cocktail. Can't remember the name though.

• 1 year later...
Inspired, naturally, by this thread, I picked up a pizza at Duke's today, for my first pizza ever in Chiangmai! Daaaaaaammmmmnnnnn, but that was a seriously good pizza. Of course I afterwards immediately voted for Duke's, but it's a bit of an odd vote, based as it is on no comparison to any of the other places listed. :)

Darn it this thrad has made me very very hungry now- I going across the road to grab a pizza from Duke's now. Then give my vote- I used to get a great smoked salmon pizza from an Italian restuarant in Soi 2 Maun Maung Rd- I think it was.... Think I will try find them as well then give a vote. It was pricy but worth every mouth watering bite

Next thread should be best cheese cakes and meat pies in Chiangmai. I am missing both after not having either for many months. :D

Agree with the Pizza wars in Melbourne Aussie, some great pizza's and prices down under. $5 for some great pizza's- far less than in CMai. Dominos Vs Pizza Hut mostly in Aussie.

Well since this thread was started there two new pizza places in town that do good pizza. Rustica and Pizza and Pasta in Hung Dong. While I have been known to eat cardboard with sauce and cheese, particularly if it has been dropped on the ground, I found Pizza and Pasta to be OK and Rustica to be good.

Can they be added to the poll?

Edited by getgoin

Hung Dong.

A Freudian slip there getgoin? :) Since I'm near Hang Dong, can you give specifics to the location, thanks (Rustica)?

The poll is over a year old so wouldn't reflect well to new addon companies - plus I think it is at the poll limit.