Truevision Magazine Pvr

ironhut

The alternative to the PVR (which I haven't done yet), is a DVD Recorder which also allows you to record a show at anytime and also has the timeslip feature. The trade off is that the DVD Recorder is money down now, and if it needs service that is a hassle. The PVR would be on a per month basis, and service from True is pretty good. It is going to be a price issue.

The downside of DVD or hard-disk recorder is it is an independent box which cannot change channel on the UBC box. This means you have to double-program the UBC box as well as the recorder. It works but is not very convenient. (note that older UBC box can't be programmed to change channel too) If anyone knows how to overcome this, I would be interested to hear. Personally, I have a Tivo box from the US that has been hacked to do everything I need (except getting program listing) but it is quite a bit of work.

The alternative to the PVR (which I haven't done yet), is a DVD Recorder which also allows you to record a show at anytime and also has the timeslip feature. The trade off is that the DVD Recorder is money down now, and if it needs service that is a hassle. The PVR would be on a per month basis, and service from True is pretty good. It is going to be a price issue.

The downside of DVD or hard-disk recorder is it is an independent box which cannot change channel on the UBC box. This means you have to double-program the UBC box as well as the recorder. It works but is not very convenient. (note that older UBC box can't be programmed to change channel too) If anyone knows how to overcome this, I would be interested to hear. Personally, I have a Tivo box from the US that has been hacked to do everything I need (except getting program listing) but it is quite a bit of work.

Thanks Arpa.

My friend is one of the beta testers and he said he loves the PVR, but playback on what he records often freezes so that he cannot play it back. He complained and Truevisions admitted other beta testers were having similar problems, but that they had a new software update that was going to fix this. Is this a common problem with Tivo as well?

Thanks Arpa.

My friend is one of the beta testers and he said he loves the PVR, but playback on what he records often freezes so that he cannot play it back. He complained and Truevisions admitted other beta testers were having similar problems, but that they had a new software update that was going to fix this. Is this a common problem with Tivo as well?

Tivo has been around for a long time so it is quite mature. I've never had such problem. The problem is you cannot buy it in Thailand. Here is a pointer if someone would like more info. http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/FAQ/WebHome

15K is quite expensive.... there are also dvr's available with 3 build-in receivers. like watch 2 different on two telly's and record a third.

They don't offer a electronic schedule but i wouldn't mind paying the monthly fees......

Anyone tried one of those set-top boxes?

Greets

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Chaiyaphum, and will have TrueVision sat service installed tomorrow. I will be getting the PVR, and have been quoted a price of 14000 baht. Because I am buying the PVR unit, I will not be charged the normal 2000 baht installation fee and, therefore, the net cost of the PVR will be 12000. I was told there would not be an additional monthly charge beyond the normal I have payed elsewhere for the Platinum package. This is the first PVR install in the province, and I think the True/UBC folks here are as curious about it as I am. I will soon report on my initial experiences with it.

I live in Chaiyaphum, and will have TrueVision sat service installed tomorrow. I will be getting the PVR, and have been quoted a price of 14000 baht. Because I am buying the PVR unit, I will not be charged the normal 2000 baht installation fee and, therefore, the net cost of the PVR will be 12000. I was told there would not be an additional monthly charge beyond the normal I have payed elsewhere for the Platinum package. This is the first PVR install in the province, and I think the True/UBC folks here are as curious about it as I am. I will soon report on my initial experiences with it.

I am interested in your experience. I am thinking of buying it as well. My friend who beta tested it said he was quoted THB 13,300 as his machine was already used since he beta tested it (i.e. they couldn't sell it as a new unit after he tested it). As explained, the only issue he has had is that, periodically, some of the shows he records freeze on playback, so you can't watch these shows that were recorded (canceling out the purpose of the PVR). Supposedly, the new software update was to take care of this, but he says he still has this problem, albeit to a lessor extent than before. Apart from this freezing of playbacks from time to time, all else works fine.

You should be aware that the price being quoted for the PVR states that after one year, True will start charging a monthly fee for the service of the machines. This is for everyone, whether you are the first in your province, whether you are one of the few who beta tested it or whether you are an existing subscriber or new one.

Well I have been playing with a new dreambox image. I now have the full multi day EPG and recording functions onto my home network. Thats with nothing extra per month and a <4000 baht box.

Currently working on getting a better EPG (using xmlTV listings), better PVR with live TV pause, and dual tuner system etc.. Tho this will be feeing data to my home theater computer / media server and using vista media center. Plus this will capture the digital bitstream so the output can be cleaned up with ffdshow filters and upscaled for hidef output. This signal really needs it !!

My friend who beta tested it said he was quoted THB 13,300 as his machine was already used since he beta tested it (i.e. they couldn't sell it as a new unit after he tested it).

What makes you so sure? You speak as if this is a reputable company. :o

• 1 year later...
I too think that PVR is going to be too expensive to justify, although i do think if it does all they say it will, it will be a good system and has some notable advantages over DVD recorders. For one, it will allow you to watch one channel whilst you record another - that's a feature i could certainly make use of.

LivingLOS - regarding your comments about having your box replaced for a better model. I'm wondering if one has to wait until theirs breaks before they'll give you the better one, or whether one can request (maybe i should refer myself back to my own comment about UBC's level of service for the answer to that!)?

Hugely expensive considering a dual tuner Humax with 320 Gb HDD in the UK costs 9,672.78 ( 185 GBP ) and that's a fairly expensive one.

14,000 + Baht for 160 Gb is a rip off.

Well I have been playing with a new dreambox image. I now have the full multi day EPG and recording functions onto my home network. Thats with nothing extra per month and a <4000 baht box.

Currently working on getting a better EPG (using xmlTV listings), better PVR with live TV pause, and dual tuner system etc.. Tho this will be feeing data to my home theater computer / media server and using vista media center. Plus this will capture the digital bitstream so the output can be cleaned up with ffdshow filters and upscaled for hidef output. This signal really needs it !!

Do you have the actual Dreambox device? How does it work? Can you just replace that crappy Topfield UBC Satellite box with the Dreambox? I guess it would have a slot for the decryption card? Thanks....

It's a tad annoying calling UBC yesterday and today. I'm moving and want to switch the service to our new place. I call and it says to to enter 9 for English, I enter 9 and the recording only specks in Thai....try it..02 725 2525 frustrating.

The first time I used them it went so smooth and they were so professional. The working man showed up on time also.