2005 Xr250

inthake8

Have seen a Honda 2005 XR250 for sale on the internet from a shop in Bangkok for 170000 with only 1200Km on it.

Does this sound like a good price ?

I don't think it's registered.

170K if unregistered is too steep. Knock about 35 - 40K off for an unreg one. The price is about right for a fully legal bike though.

Cheers,

Pikey.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have an XR250 that I would like to sell, and I kindly request your help in pricing it fairly.

Here are the details:

- 2004 Honda XR250 Motard

- 23,000 KM

- Supersound performance pipe

- Custom Tachometer from Japan

- Recent Dunlop ArrowMax GT501 180 rear tire

- Recent Steel Sprockets & RK O-Ring chain

- White Luggage rack

I paid 150,000 baht in Feb. 2007 for this bike because I trust my Thai friend who got it for me. We were sure that this bike was never disassembled (I've seen many suspect XRs and Kawi DRZs that were taken apart and reassembled).

This bike always starts and runs great and I have never had any maintenance issues other than normal wear and tear. The front Metzler is probably due for a change soon, but the rear Dunlop has plenty of life left.

It is unregistered though and I have the original invoice.

I love the bike, but I decided to sell it to help finance my longer stay (with girlfriend) in Chiang Mai, Thailand... so I would appreciate any pricing advice. Of course I'd like to recoup most of my initial investment, but I'm not sure what fair market value.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :o

Mike

Pics:

post-63635-1213884485_thumb.jpg post-63635-1213884816_thumb.jpg

Have seen a Honda 2005 XR250 for sale on the internet from a shop in Bangkok for 170000 with only 1200Km on it.

Does this sound like a good price ?

I don't think it's registered.

Waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced, my friend steve bought one on chon buri off a dealer for 110,.

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and have an XR250 that I would like to sell, and I kindly request your help in pricing it fairly.

Here are the details:

- 2004 Honda XR250 Motard

- 23,000 KM

- Supersound performance pipe

- Custom Tachometer from Japan

- Recent Dunlop ArrowMax GT501 180 rear tire

- Recent Steel Sprockets & RK O-Ring chain

- White Luggage rack

I paid 150,000 baht in Feb. 2007 for this bike because I trust my Thai friend who got it for me. We were sure that this bike was never disassembled (I've seen many suspect XRs and Kawi DRZs that were taken apart and reassembled).

This bike always starts and runs great and I have never had any maintenance issues other than normal wear and tear. The front Metzler is probably due for a change soon, but the rear Dunlop has plenty of life left.

It is unregistered though and I have the original invoice.

I love the bike, but I decided to sell it to help finance my longer stay (with girlfriend) in Chiang Mai, Thailand... so I would appreciate any pricing advice. Of course I'd like to recoup most of my initial investment, but I'm not sure what fair market value.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

Mike

Pics:

post-63635-1213884485_thumb.jpg post-63635-1213884816_thumb.jpg

Around 100,000 id say, and the chance of the bike coming into thailand in one peice is very unlikely,.if it had of it would have proper papers, il,bet you have a container list with the engine and frame numbers ( md32 ) travelling seperatly :o , not a problem though,

I saw, here in CM in a dealer shop, a Honda XR 250 2002 "original" (but no papers, no plate: so unreg) which seems in good condition for the announced price of 65000 Bahts...

I don't notice the mileage...

If can help to price yours...

Cheers

* I just bought one 3 weeks ago. One XR 250 Baja (registered, so papers and plate: frame number, engine number and color OK) from 1995 for 40000 Bahts... Ok, not so pretty at the first look, but nothing misses and runs OK. Just some cosmetic work, and maybe a good rear tyre.

IMHO: never be in a hurry. Check, compare and have a look EVERYWHERE. Sometimes, in a yard, behind some junk bins, you can find a dirty jewel...

• 2 weeks later...

Something wrong, who want to buy a 3 year old, no license plate Honda XR250 if he can buy a brand new Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 for about the same price. And the Kawasaki D-Tracker comes with factory warranty and green book?? (green book will cost you 600 Bath extra...)

Nothing wrong, technically with a Honda XR250 by the way, great bikes....

Something wrong, who want to buy a 3 year old, no license plate Honda XR250 if he can buy a brand new Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 for about the same price. And the Kawasaki D-Tracker comes with factory warranty and green book?? (green book will cost you 600 Bath extra...)

When I was shopping for a Motard in early 2007, I checked out about three D-Trackers that were made in Thailand and they were all about 30-50k baht cheaper than the XR-250s. I chose the imported Honda XR-250 for Japanese vs. Thai manufacturing quality reasons. I'm sure the D-Tracker is a great bike, but I just think you get what you pay for as well-designed and well-manufactured products will always last and perform well. I would suggest anyone carefully check out both bikes before buying as they are really not the same bike. And that is just my asking price on the listing. :o

Good luck Motard shoppers!

And I believed that the Japanese production of the XR250 was discontinued in 2004, replaced by the more modern CRF250X. So are you really sure that your 2007 is Made in Japan?

Also the Kawasaki KLX250, or more fashionable called the D-Tracker 250, is a much modern design. It comes with liquid cooling and DOHC valve system. And the official manufacturers warranty is something of a real value.

Quality of (foreign branded) manufactured products, like Kawasaki, BMW, Honda, Triumph, VW, etc...etc, are very good as all this foreign companies keep the quality inspection on the same level around the globe.

And I believed that the Japanese production of the XR250 was discontinued in 2004, replaced by the more modern CRF250X. So are you really sure that your 2007 is Made in Japan?

It's a 2004 and I am sure it was made in Japan. I bought it in Thailand in early 2007.

Also the Kawasaki KLX250, or more fashionable called the D-Tracker 250, is a much modern design. It comes with liquid cooling and DOHC valve system. And the official manufacturers warranty is something of a real value.

True, it is more modern and warrenty is important. But power/weight ratio without liquid cooling and ride handling are important too. I've never had a problem with the bike over-heating in Thailand's warm climate.

Quality of (foreign branded) manufactured products, like Kawasaki, BMW, Honda, Triumph, VW, etc...etc, are very good as all this foreign companies keep the quality inspection on the same level around the globe.

I think manufactured in Japan makes a difference because they have the experience and I know Thailand's quality standards can be lacking, despite inspections. And this is why I wasn't surprised when the used prices of the same year XR250s were 30-50k baht higher than the D-Trackers back in 2007.

So, we've all got our own opinions... and that's why I said that people should really check out either bike before plunking down their money. I think it's comparing apples and oranges, because you buy the Honda for what you like about the Honda and the same for the Kawi. I'm not telling people to buy my bike, I'm just saying there is a difference in bikes. It's like comparing a BMW to a Jaguar. I'm sure there are different owners who've had good and bad experiences in both ownership and resale of both vehicles.

When I was shopping for a Motard in early 2007, I checked out about three D-Trackers that were made in Thailand and they were all about 30-50k baht cheaper than the XR-250s. I chose the imported Honda XR-250 for Japanese vs. Thai manufacturing quality reasons. I'm sure the D-Tracker is a great bike, but I just think you get what you pay for as well-designed and well-manufactured products will always last and perform well. I would suggest anyone carefully check out both bikes before buying as they are really not the same bike. And that is just my asking price on the listing. :o

Good luck Motard shoppers!

sorry buddy, the d tracker is japan market only and as such were made there, the kawasaki klx250 was/is made in thailand but is yet to be available in thailand for sale, its export only !

XR250 air cooled md32 was made in japan til 07, for australia and japan only,.KAWASAKI KLX250 first introduced in 1993 is a water cooled bike and probably a better bike than an xr250,.d tracker is basically a klx250 with 17 inch wheels and USD forks, these are both old bikes and should be able to be built for a round of drinks, lets see how much the klx is in thailand, il put money the d tracker wont be available,.

Dear mikethevigoman,

Indeed sorry Buddy, the Kawasaki D-Tracker is not only for export, and it is within days available in Thailand.

Check out the official Kawasaki Thailand website http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/specification_D-tracker.html And the D-Tracker and the KLX250 are two different models.......

Edited by Richard-BKK

Dear mikethevigoman,

Indeed sorry Buddy, the Kawasaki D-Tracker is not only for export, and it is within days available in Thailand.

Check out the official Kawasaki Thailand website http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/specification_D-tracker.html And the D-Tracker and the KLX250 are two different models.......

yes i do apolagise, i have just been told this, this is the first time they have been available outside of japan,, i imported 20 d trackers into the uk from japan as part of 17 containers i did,..i think the thais have bought the tooling etc as the bike basically is 15 years old and should be able to me made cheap now the same as the klx250, quite exciting for us bike types isnt it ! :o

The 2008 models have a extensive engineering upgrade, so are they equipped with all the latest gadgets like Electronic Controlled Fuel Injection and DOHC valves and some other stuff not available 15 years ago.

Edited by Richard-BKK

The 2008 models have a extensive engineering upgrade, so are they equipped with all the latest gadgets like Electronic Controlled Fuel Injection and DOHC valves and some other stuff not available 15 years ago.
its always been dohc, as for fi thatll be good, still basically 15 years old and i bet a lot of the cycle parts are the same,heres a 95 as you see the engine is the same dohc,

post-41326-1215945169_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

• 3 months later...

Hmm... let me think...

Brand new 2008 KLX or D-Tracker for 150k with all proper papers and Kawa QC and 2 years manufacturer warranty vs. 3 year old imported motorcycle where in the end no-one knows what happened to it, where it was made, whether it was imported into Thailand as spare parts and then assembled here, whether they actually used all the original parts or saved some, and nobody knows where the green book came from... no contest...

The D-Tracker is cheaper because it's made in Thailand, thus no import tax. In other words, less of your money goes to the government, more into the bike. Great bike BTW, I'd recommend you at least take it for a tryout.

Given the way D-Trackers are selling right now I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Thai-made Honda or Yamaha 250cc bike soon...