Bangkok, The Capital Of Gridlock

chevykanteve

There just isn't enough room for all the cars.

In 20 years, it will be gridlock, 24/7 with an average speed of 2kph. (think rush hours all day and nite)

When the Thai Gov finaly puts on it's thinking cap, they will have no choice but to follow the plans of Singapore, London, Bogota.

Cars are great out in the suberbia but are just plain stupid to be used in a city.

(1)Good public transport(elec busses, subways etc..)

(2)Eliminate 80% of the cars.

(3)Change a portion of the roadway into pedestrian lanes/bike/scooter lanes/parks/green space/cafes.

Less pollution, congestion, danger, heat = more fun enjoyment for pedestrians.

Given that everyone seems to agree the traffic is better now than it was in the early 90s, what logic makes you think it will be gridlock in 20 years?

FYI, i drive from Sukhumvit to Silom every morning and evening in rush hour. Now and again there is an annoying delay, but no worse than any other major city I've driven in.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 20 years, it will be gridlock, 24/7 with an average speed of 2kph. (think rush hours all day and nite)

When the Thai Gov finaly puts on it's thinking cap, they will have no choice but to follow the plans of Singapore, London, Bogota.

Cars are great out in the suberbia but are just plain stupid to be used in a city.

(3)Change a portion of the roadway into pedestrian lanes/bike/scooter lanes/parks/green space/cafes.

Given that everyone seems to agree the traffic is better now than it was in the early 90s, what logic makes you think it will be gridlock in 20 years?

FYI, i drive from Sukhumvit to Silom every morning and evening in rush hour. Now and again there is an annoying delay, but no worse than any other major city I've driven in.

Right, no traffic in Bangkok. Got it.

You also should look into the Emergency room at General Hospital sometime.

You'll think twice about riding a bike after viewing the mangeled remains of accident victims that go thru that place like an assembly line.

What is the life expectancy of a Bangkok Motorbike commuter I wonder?

I find I can get most everywhere I need using a combination of skytrain, subway and boat I love travelling on the Chao Phraya river buses and usually find that I can get from Sukhumvit to Bhanglamphu quicker than someone going by road. I also find the Klong samsaep canal-boat service very useful.........and interesting

You'll think twice about riding a bike after viewing the mangeled remains of accident victims that go thru that place like an assembly line.

If you drive safely and assertively your chances of an accident decrease dramatically. It is not surprising how many motorcycle accident victims there are when you see how some young guys drive around.

If you drive safely and assertively your chances of an accident decrease dramatically. It is not surprising how many motorcycle accident victims there are when you see how some young guys drive around.

I'm a carefull driver but that gives zero protection from the thousands of people that drive like morons around here.

A typical PadThaiGuy response. Instead of responding to a specific (and valid question) he gets annoyed and takes his toys home.

Listen, pal. I'm reporting my experiences based on commuting every day. This morning I left Suk 11 in my car at 8 exactly. I was in my office (after buying a coffee and newspaper) at 8.25pm. By any standards in any city in the world in rush hour traffic, that is not bad. Sometimes it takes ten minutes longer - big deal.

Where do I say there is no traffic in Bkk?

As someone else said . you just have to learn how to make it work for you. I know, for example, never to drive along Ratchadapisek between Rama 4 and Sukhumvit between 5-6 on a Friday afternoon. Similarly, Nana Nua at the same time.

Samran made the point that it used to take 3 hours to commute from Rangit. I go there regularly, and the trip back is rarely more than 30-40 minutes and that is NOT using the tollway - i take the road under the tollway.

Traffic is usually fine until the Sukhumvit exit, but even that is hardly a big deal.

Cheer up, you miserable sod.

A typical PadThaiGuy response. Instead of responding to a specific (and valid question) he gets annoyed and takes his toys home.

Listen, pal. I'm reporting my experiences based on commuting every day. This morning I left Suk 11 in my car at 8 exactly. I was in my office (after buying a coffee and newspaper) at 8.25pm. By any standards in any city in the world in rush hour traffic, that is not bad. Sometimes it takes ten minutes longer - big deal.

Where do I say there is no traffic in Bkk?

As someone else said . you just have to learn how to make it work for you. I know, for example, never to drive along Ratchadapisek between Rama 4 and Sukhumvit between 5-6 on a Friday afternoon. Similarly, Nana Nua at the same time.

Samran made the point that it used to take 3 hours to commute from Rangit. I go there regularly, and the trip back is rarely more than 30-40 minutes and that is NOT using the tollway - i take the road under the tollway.

Traffic is usually fine until the Sukhumvit exit, but even that is hardly a big deal.

Cheer up, you miserable sod.

OK Bendix. YOu win.

There is no traffic and Bangkok and we all breath nothing but fresh air.

Singapore, London got it wrong and Bangkok should be the worlds traffic management model.

...and no scammers working the airport.

Singapore - city state with 2 million people. Bangkok has population of up to ten million plus it's a MAJOR transport hub for the rest of the country. How can you compare them, honestly?

London (and Singapore as well) have an excellend public transport grid. When Bangkok has BTS/MRT stops every 500 meters in any direction, then you can start talks about charging people for driving downtown.

Bogota - aren't they trying to implement BRT, the pilot project has been several years in the works and will probably come online later this year (or later this decade).

My car is in a garage right now and I've moved to downtown apartment for a few days to ease daily commute. I mean downtown in a broadest possible sense. Taxi ride to work on the other side of this "downtown" - 18 km, 30 min, 140 baht. Bus+BTS+bus = 1 hour, 70 baht. I wish I had a car with me, that would cost less than 50 baht.

As for forcing people out of their cars - have you seen Bangkok buses in rush hour?!? People are packed like sardines already, and they spend a lot longer on their commute than people driving, and then they have to jump on motrsai taxies at both ends of the journey, and the pollution destroys their lungs and skin, and catching these buses is no easy task, often you have to wait for upto half and hour and when the bus arrives it stops a hundred meters before the bus stop or simply flies by in the right lane.

Singapore - city state with 2 million people. Bangkok has population of up to ten million plus it's a MAJOR transport hub for the rest of the country. How can you compare them, honestly?

London (and Singapore as well) have an excellend public transport grid. When Bangkok has BTS/MRT stops every 500 meters in any direction, then you can start talks about charging people for driving downtown.

Bogota - aren't they trying to implement BRT, the pilot project has been several years in the works and will probably come online later this year (or later this decade).

My car is in a garage right now and I've moved to downtown apartment for a few days to ease daily commute. I mean downtown in a broadest possible sense. Taxi ride to work on the other side of this "downtown" - 18 km, 30 min, 140 baht. Bus+BTS+bus = 1 hour, 70 baht. I wish I had a car with me, that would cost less than 50 baht.

As for forcing people out of their cars - have you seen Bangkok buses in rush hour?!? People are packed like sardines already, and they spend a lot longer on their commute than people driving, and then they have to jump on motrsai taxies at both ends of the journey, and the pollution destroys their lungs and skin, and catching these buses is no easy task, often you have to wait for upto half and hour and when the bus arrives it stops a hundred meters before the bus stop or simply flies by in the right lane.

2,000 new cars sold every day in Thailand. Traffic will be worse in 20 years.

A study several years ago predicted and average speed of 2kph in Bangkok 20 years from now.

Horses moved people faster 100 years ago.

Excellent Public Transport & Road Pricing is the way to go. Will Bangkok adapt?

Cities that do will flourish.

sukhumwit soi 11 to silom road is obviously a piece of cake. places where traffic is almost always horrible is soi thong lo, soi ekami, ramkenheng road, mo chit, that soi up to platinum fashion mall adjacent to central world. the traffic on sukhumwit road and silom road is not a great indication of bangkok as a whole imho

Edited by realmadrid25

Neither are streets in the very center of Bangkok and streets around major bus terminals.

Most places the traffic is not too bad but as you have pointed out there are a few spots which are regularly clogged up, just remember to avoid.

And just imagine how much nicer it'll be with 80% fewer cars on the road.

:o