Tour Groups In The North

I posted the following last week just prior to the topic being closed, and before anyone could respond. As I have some friends going up next week on a Van Trek to Chiang Mai, Mae Sai, [i know this is a Thailand Forum but request an ok to print the name of the city across from Mae Sai } Tachalek , I would appreicate if someone in the know would post a reply if they have an answer... Perhaps the poster who mentioned in the past few days having spoken with the head of Immigration at Mae Sai.

Something that may have been mentioned, and perhaps I missed it....

Every day from all over the Northern Region of Thailand tourists visiting Thailand take what is known as treks. Many of these go , by 12 passenger van, as example from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and then on to Mae Sai, with I would guesstimate hundreds of tourists daily going over the bridge to {name deleted}.... Are each of the tourist trekers expected to carry 10,000 to 20,000 baht for reentry.....

If so I think we should look for the return of a modern day Jesse James or Ned Kelly....... for a 12 passenger van thats 120,000 -240,000 per van.... Buy a chain saw, drop a few trees over the highway ???????

[not our Thaivisa Ned Kelly of course ] but then maybe 200,000 for a few hours work ?????

According to the latest info the answer to your question is maybe Yes maybe No.

It is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

I suggest you ask the tour operator.

He should be known to the Immigration and have sorted this out with the local officers.

Ask the immigration officer as you present your passport to leave.

If he says you need money and you don't have it in your pocket, then don't go.

I would think that if you are crossing the border and you have been stamped out of Thailand officially, then you are more likely to have to show money, than if you have gone out on a temporary visit, depositing you passport with immigration office.

Your question shows that the recent statement from immigration did not give us any useful information at all.

Edited by astral