Light Or Dark Coloured Skin

chiang mai

Ever wondered why western men are so easily drawn to Thai (and Asian) women? The article below claims to reveal the answer and in part it has to do with skin color - the explanation also accounts in part for why Thai men prefer women with light colored skin. For those who can't be bothered to read the article the following extracts sums it all up:

"Men are subconsciously attracted to fairer-skinned icons such as Nicole Kidman or Kylie Minogue because of the skin tone's association with innocence, purity, modesty, virginity, vulnerability and goodness".

"In effect, men drawn to darker looking women - such as actress Monica Bellucci over rival Michelle Pfieffer - are expressing a preference for danger".

And just so that ladies don't feel left out:

"Women, on the other hand, pick men with darker complexions - such as film stars Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell or Jamie Foxx - because these are associated with sex, virility, mystery, villainy and danger".

So men, the next time you look at your Thai other half, remember that what you see in her, assuming she is dark skinned, is danger. Quite right too. And ladies, what you see when you look at your dark skinned partner is, well, enough said. But if the study is to be believed and it is supposedly scientific in nature, there is a real mismatch in expectations between a light skinned women and and a dark skinned man!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1965

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ever wondered why western men are so easily drawn to Thai (and Asian) women? The article below claims to reveal the answer and in part it has to do with skin color - the explanation also accounts in part for why Thai men prefer women with light colored skin. For those who can't be bothered to read the article the following extracts sums it all up:

"Men are subconsciously attracted to fairer-skinned icons such as Nicole Kidman or Kylie Minogue because of the skin tone's association with innocence, purity, modesty, virginity, vulnerability and goodness".

"In effect, men drawn to darker looking women - such as actress Monica Bellucci over rival Michelle Pfieffer - are expressing a preference for danger".

"Women, on the other hand, pick men with darker complexions - such as film stars Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell or Jamie Foxx - because these are associated with sex, virility, mystery, villainy and danger".

So men, the next time you look at your Thai other half, remember that what you see in her, assuming she is dark skinned, is danger. Quite right too. And ladies, what you see when you look at your dark skinned partner is, well, enough said. But if the study is to be believed and it is supposedly scientific in nature, there is a real mismatch in expectations between a light skinned women and and a dark skinned man!

thai (and asian) women can be both dark and fair skinned.

Er yes, very good, and your point is?

I wouldn't have said Johnny Depp is dark complected. But, never mind, I'll be sure to let my husband know he is a sexy villain in my eyes :D

Funnily enough, I hear this all the time. My husband likes to fish, so he gets quite dark. Many Thai women say to me, "Oh well, good thing he is married to you as a Thai woman wouldn't like his dark skin but Farang like dark skin"

Yup, that's what did it for me. Not his good-looks, honesty, sincerity or kindness but his dark skin. :o

To be honest, I don't really notice skin color on Thai people, unless they are really white and then I think it looks fake and kind of sickly.

The article is rubbish in my opinion. The article writer had a theory, and wrote the article to fit his / her theory.

I find Monicca Bellucci attractive because I like danger (why are breasts dangerous? I thought that they were motherly and safe!), and I like Miss Monroe because she reminds me of a virgin???

Beautiful women are beautiful women regardless of 'type'.

We do tend to be attracted to women not of our ilk which is perhaps why many European men like the Issan 'type' initially, but change to the Thai / Chinese 'type' after spending a few years here.

(Another gross generalization...)

Edited by jasreeve17

at the beginning of your post you have the question "ever wonder why western men are so easily drawn to thai (and asian) women?" then the article explains about how people are attracted to different skin colours. saying that men are drawn to darker looking women.

thai (and asian women) women can be both dark and fair skinned.

the article doesn't answer your question. that is my point. sorry to be picky.

Edited by 5tash

I am turned off by darker complexioned Thai women as I think "Baan nok" .

I know this is prejudice as I am sure there are just as many dark-skinned women who come from middle class families, just that it seems so many bar girls come from Issan and have dark skins. :o

Hmm :D m!! sounds a bit Racist to me. :o

And not without good reason do you suspect racism....

For the following statements to be true there must be some stereotyping based upon skin color going on.

With respect to the attraction of SE Asian women then I believe there are few better examples of racial stereotyping: The Stereotyping being along the lines of 'SE Asian Women = Sex Kittens ( or themes along that line)"

But to get back to a Thailand context we need to return to the comment that chiang mai is dismissive of

Indeed there are and it is an oft noted point that Foreigners in the vast majority of cases wind up with the darker skinned women. The oft noted point is encapsulated in the question many Thais are keen to ask 'Why do Farangmen prefer dark skinned Thai women'.

The answer is not as simplistic (or even as vaguely racist) as the Daily Mail's reasoning - It's all down to the fact that foreign men on the whole don't get to meet the fairer skinned Thai women, this on account of where the majority of foreign men in Thailand meet Thai women.

And that choice in itself tells us not so much what their 'complexion' preferences are and a whole lot about their 'options' and their own self worth.

A tad aggressive GH.

I'm not so worried about your thinly veiled attack on 'Pattaya Man' (which I agree with to a large extent even though it's clearly preempted by your stereotyping), but rather the parallel that the poor "Issan woman" is on a par with "pattaya Man'. That does come across as racist which is my sole largest irritation regarding the richer "Bangkok type Thais". Their thought process can be summed up below.

White Chinese Thai woman = good.

Black Issan woman = bad stupid lazy whore.

This prevelant attitude is of course the reason why these Bangkok elites are disliked by the majority of the Thai population (and me).

With regard to the piece as a whole the words Daily Mail are enough to make the article a laughing stock.

I wouldn't have said Johnny Depp is dark complected. But, never mind, I'll be sure to let my husband know he is a sexy villain in my eyes :D

Funnily enough, I hear this all the time. My husband likes to fish, so he gets quite dark. Many Thai women say to me, "Oh well, good thing he is married to you as a Thai woman wouldn't like his dark skin but Farang like dark skin"

Yup, that's what did it for me. Not his good-looks, honesty, sincerity or kindness but his dark skin. :o

To be honest, I don't really notice skin color on Thai people, unless they are really white and then I think it looks fake and kind of sickly.

Agreed! My husband is considered quite unattractive here because he is dark now compared to 10 years ago when he was an office worker and pale. Everyone says he used to be so good looking but now he's ugly!! :D Lucky for me!

I always thought people were attracted to darker skin as a sign of good health. Interesting theory I guess about being dangerous!

I really can't get too excited about the why's and where fores of the study nor the more serious points raised in subsequent posts. I think most Brits at least will be all too familiar with these kinds of articles that show how our, er your tax money is being spent and the value produced from them is questionable. One such study examined the effect on global warming of dairy cow farts in Britain and recommended that all British cows be given anti-flatulence medication and that was purported to be a serious study! So to even think about going down the racism route with this or to be overly aggressive, well, it just isn't worth it, is it.

at the beginning of your post you have the question "ever wonder why western men are so easily drawn to thai (and asian) women?" then the article explains about how people are attracted to different skin colours. saying that men are drawn to darker looking women.

Apology accepted :o

A tad aggressive GH.

I'm not so worried about your thinly veiled attack on 'Pattaya Man' (which I agree with to a large extent even though it's clearly preempted by your stereotyping), but rather the parallel that the poor "Issan woman" is on a par with "pattaya Man'. That does come across as racist which is my sole largest irritation regarding the richer "Bangkok type Thais". Their thought process can be summed up below.

This prevelant attitude is of course the reason why these Bangkok elites are disliked by the majority of the Thai population (and me).

My post is not a thinly veiled attack on anyone, not even this person you refer to as 'Pattaya Man' [a stereotype of your own making?] it is certainly not an attack on Issan women.

I do not mention Issan, Pattaya, Bangkok or Chinese and I certainly do not make any reference to 'Bad Stupid Lazy Whores' - [Another stereotype of your own making?].

Given these wide departures in your interpretation from what I actually said it is no wonder you find my post aggressive - It is not, and I believe with a fair reading cannot be interpreted as such.

Perhaps we are being a tad over defensive - nes pas?

Years ago while working for a Thai company I used to go out with the Thai engineers. They ALWAYS insisted on upscale places. They always laughed at me for picking the ugliest women. One night I found a truly beautiful lady. Again the smirks from my co workers. I asked them why they thought she was ugly. The answer was because she was dark skinned. They liked the VERY light skinned girls whether they were fat, skinny, ugly or all three. I don't understand it but I like it.

Years ago while working for a Thai company I used to go out with the Thai engineers. They ALWAYS insisted on upscale places. They always laughed at me for picking the ugliest women. One night I found a truly beautiful lady. Again the smirks from my co workers. I asked them why they thought she was ugly. The answer was because she was dark skinned. They liked the VERY light skinned girls whether they were fat, skinny, ugly or all three. I don't understand it but I like it.

I choose farang over white thai.

A tad aggressive GH.

My post is not a thinly veiled attack on anyone, not even this person you refer to as 'Pattaya Man' [a stereotype of your own making?] it is certainly not an attack on Issan women.

I do not mention Issan, Pattaya, Bangkok or Chinese and I certainly do not make any reference to 'Bad Stupid Lazy Whores' - [Another stereotype of your own making?].

Given these wide departures in your interpretation from what I actually said it is no wonder you find my post aggressive - It is not, and I believe with a fair reading cannot be interpreted as such.

I think GH is probably talking more about himself and his own experiences. As he doesn't live here anymore, perhaps he doesn't realised life has moved on quite some way from the stereotypes of when he was probably last in Thailand. Even though the stereotypes still exist, the new Thai lady generation is much more open-minded. Looks more like a swipe to make himself feel better by trying to put others down. I assume he was a non-caucasian farang, who are somewhat looked down on by Thais. That is unfair also but hopefully will change as well.

As for the quote:

It's all down to the fact that foreign men on the whole don't get to meet the fairer skinned Thai women, this on account of where the majority of foreign men in Thailand meet Thai women

Most foreigners I know here, get to meet lovely Thai ladies of all colours and backgrounds. Anyone with a job will meet a whole spectrum of coulours at work. Anyone visiting MBK for shopping likewise...You do need a positive outlook and happy disposition though. :o

After that it's down to individual choice. Some like dark chocolates, some like milk...The variety is what makes life interesting.

A tad aggressive GH.

Ok GH, You've denied everything, but let's have a look at your post and see if your denial pans out.

Indeed there are and it is an oft noted point that Foreigners in the vast majority of cases wind up with the darker skinned women. The oft noted point is encapsulated in the question many Thais are keen to ask 'Why do Farangmen prefer dark skinned Thai women'.

The answer is not as simplistic (or even as vaguely racist) as the Daily Mail's reasoning - It's all down to the fact that foreign men on the whole don't get to meet the fairer skinned Thai women, this on account of where the majority of foreign men in Thailand meet Thai women.

And that choice in itself tells us not so much what their 'complexion' preferences are and a whole lot about their 'options' and their own self worth.

You first paragraph just states a question; "Why are most foreign men in Thailand with dark skinned women?"

Your second and third paragraphs offer your answer to the question - clearly talking about foreign men picking up prostitutes. You are very literally saying that foreign men only get to meet dark skinned Issan prostitues.

You're reinforcing your stereotypes (that can easily be seen I agree) by saying that bad foreign men go to bad places and meet bad Thai women:

1) It's all down to the fact that foreign men on the whole don't get to meet the fairer skinned Thai women,

2) And that choice in itself tells us not so much what their 'complexion' preferences are and a whole lot about their 'options' and their own self worth.

If you want to be dishonest now, and change the meaning of your words then that's your chice, but please tell me why foreign men on the whole don't get to meet fairer skinned women, and where are the places that the majority of foreign men in Thailand meet Thai women?

Whilst your answering questions, please answer me another; what does the foreign mens choice of meeting place tell us about their 'options' and their own self worth?

You can deny it all you like. You can backtrack and attempt to use nice words to hide your orginal meaning, but it's still very clear. You are saying that bad foreign men go to bad places and meet bad Thai women. Your use of pretty English words does not hide your thinly veiled stereotyping.

Now, I don't care about all of that too much beacase it is a truth that a lot of foreign men come here to meet Thai prostitues that are, in the majority, darker skinned Isaan 'types'.

What I do care about is the way that you suggest that the white / Chinese women are better than the dark Issan women. Another denial is coming from you no doubt, so I'll show you a couple of ways that I read it:-

1) don't get to meet the fairer skinned Thai women. Fairer skinned is an interesting choice of words. I would say lighter or darker skinned, you're saying fairer, as in better.

2) whole lot about their 'options' and their own self worth. You are saying firstly that it is a bad option to choose a darker skinned woman, and secondly that their own self worth must be low to choose a darker skinned woman - because lighter (sorry fairer) skinned women are better?

Your email has two main areas:-

1) Insult foreign 'Pattaya Man' types. And

2) Insinuate that white / Chinese Thai women are better than dark skinned Issan 'type' women.

The first point I could care less about. The second point is insulting and common amongst rich Bangkok Thais, but I wouldn't expect from your good self.

If I've misread between the lines then please accept my appology. However, I tend to think that you're unwilling to have the strength of your convictions.

Don't worry Heng and ThaiGoon will come to support you soon...

Even more, the the article states the complete opposite in the opening paragraph compared to what ChiangMai wants us to believe:

" Gentlemen do not just prefer blondes, but lighter-skinned women in general, a study has suggested."

So, OP, "speak for yourself!". :o

Edited by Jefferson

Ha-ha, for what it is worth, here is my take on this, but purely from a looks point of view, not social standing or racial prejudice. Or how good heart she has, or whatever. Just looks. So mods, please do not arrest me on this. And I am not going to comment on the men, I leave that for the ladies to do!

Asian women to me look best with very pale/white skin and jet-black hair. I agree, sometimes it can border on the sickly white, but still for Asia, that is my preference. Of course, there are some beautiful ladies of any colour in Asia, but I am a sucker for the pale/white (ha-ha again, my g/f has originally white skin, but since she likes to play tennis, she now has a quite tanned skin, and is not worried about it. Still great with me, rather have a sporty g/f than a white alabaster showpiece!)

African women to me look best with some variation of coffee (latte or espresso) colour skin and black hair. Can be absolutely striking, and much more physical and strong in terms of body structure than any other. EDIT: But this obviously with lots of moderation, since too much of a good thing... :o

Caucation (western) women to me generally look best with a slight suntanned skin (if they are very white, they really look sick) and dark hair. But here it is (for me) easier to also like the odd brunette, redhead, and (very occationally) the blonde. But somewhow, blondes don't do it for me. Neither do the brown haired Japanese or Thai ladies, looks very strange in most cases.

As for eye colour, Asian and African best with dark brown, western can also have a wider variety, and still look good.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa