Non-im B (3 Million Baht Investment) & Work

I currently have a Non-Im B visa based upon depositing 3 million Baht with Krung Thai Bank (a kind of visa that's no longer available to new investors). Can I work (with a work permit, of course) with this kind of visa? And if so, do I need to notify Immigration?

Thanks.

You need a work permit to work on any kind of visa. Have not seen any report of not being able to obtain a work permit on an investment extension of stay but that will be up to the labor office concerned.

I currently have a Non-Im B visa based upon depositing 3 million Baht with Krung Thai Bank (a kind of visa that's no longer available to new investors). Can I work (with a work permit, of course) with this kind of visa? And if so, do I need to notify Immigration?

Thanks.

Yes, an investors visa ( if you got class "IM" or "IB") will allow you to conduct business . (e.g. negotiate an acquisition or retail deal)

Anyhow it is highly recomended to inform your local immigration upfront of your business activity.

This is because the purpose of IM / IB visas is to bring benefit to Thailand

see also : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

In general this rule always apply:

Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their types of visa, unless they are granted a work permit.

Hope it was helpfull

Greetings

Jake

Thanks.

I forgot to mention : where are you from?

Coz there is a visa exemption for APEC Travel Card Holders up to 90 days otherwise 15 days if you are an aussie or kiwi *g*

further:

Businesses subject to investment promotion A foreigner who has been permitted entry to work in Thailand under the Investment Promotion Act may apply for a permit within 30 days from the date of entry, but if such foreigner is already in Thailand the period of 30 days shall begin from the day he is aware that he has been granted permission to work under the law on investment promotion or other laws. Whilst the application is pending, the applicant is allowed to engage in such work.

Greetings

Jake

Edited by JakeBKK

To answer the questions above:

(1) I'm 47

(2) I'm from the UK

Some of the posts above assume that I'll be doing investment-related business. That's not the case. I've been asked by a local university's MBA programme to lecture for them.

I'm just worried that if I do some work for a few months Immigration will think that the basis for my visa has changed from the 3 milllion Baht investment to work - and then when I stop work my visa will be cancelled after 7 days - rather than continuing on the basis of the continued investment.

<br />Your extension of stay does not change unless you change it at a renewal. <br /><br />Post above yours by JakeBKK provides false information - visa exempt entry is 30 days (not 15).<br />
<br /><br /><br />

No the information is correct.

The APEC scheme allows to conduct business for 15 days without a work permit. (AyG did ask about working)

his visa will be valid for 30 days, you're right. anyhow he is a uk citizen so he isn't eligible for the work permit exemption, which i meant.

Greetings

Jake

Ehh... of course you can work with a non-em B visa (based on whatever) combined with a work permit.

Your visa will simply remain the same as you have now - and the work permit will be a seperate issue (not used to grant you any visa).

No need to bring up APEC cards and BOI investments as completely different from the OP question....

Cheers!

Can I work (with a work permit, of course) with this kind of visa?

no

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Sunbelt surely normally gives the correct advise - I use them and appreciate their services - but this time Greg owes me a beer or 2 for being wrong I suspect.

In fact: I hold the 3M Baht investment extension based on condo. Non-em B. I also hold a work permit - and my visa was in no way changed when I obtained the work permit, and my stay in Thailand is only based on the investment visa extension(s), while my right to work is (of course) based on the work permit.

Who did I use to obtain the investment (visa) extension?; Sunbelt.

Who did I use to get the work permit?; Sunbelt

Cheers!