Ethernet Vs. Usb Modem

huski

I am having TRUE come to install a new phone line and DSL on Friday. Currently debating if I should buy their USB model or use a Orckit/Fujitsu ethernet modem that a friend gave to me. Some posts have indicated users preferring the ethernet connection.

I would like to try this ethernet modem, however I am unable to telnet into the modem or find anything on the web on how to get to the authentication settings. Has anyone connected a similar ethernet modem to TRUE ?

Hello Huski,

The Fujitsu Speedport is a good ADSL modem; it is maybe a bit more difficult to install then the USB ADSL modems you can buy from True.

If you want to know more about the Fujitsu modem just Google for it use the words “Fujitsu Speedport”.

With kind regards,

Richard

I have just switched from a USB modem to an ADSL router with built in 4 port switch.

The router is just as fast as the hub for normal surfing & normal downloads, however I've noticed my P2P speeds have dramitically dropped. If this continues I may revert back to USB. I've turned off my firewall and it made no difference... no idea what could be causing this drop... just bittorrent is affected

On which to use... Use the USB modem if you don't want to hook up more than ONE computer on the line...Yes its possible with the USB but it's a pain in the *ss.

The Ethernet type modem allows you to hook up to a network system such as a normal router or a wireless router. they normaly contain up to 4 ports for four computers (you can daisy chain up to 254 ports(hubs) but thats a bad idea)

So... if you want more than one computer on the internet use the ethernet modem, One computer use the USB, it's easier.

I just got the True DSL as well and TRIED to get a ethernet modem off em... No dice. they ONLY give you a USB a ehternet one cost 6000 baht extra according to them. Cheap Barstiges!

Greg

i downloaded and installed this pppoe program, i now have a way to connect this ethernet modem with a username/password prompt...it should work on friday

http://www.raspppoe.com

FAQ 1. What is this? Do I need it?

This is a PPP over Ethernet (short: PPPoE) implementation for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, .NET. PPPoE as a method for establishing PPP connections through Ethernet adapters is described in RFC 2516 and is used by many broadband service providers to allow authentication and maintain the familiar "dial-up experience" when connecting to the Internet through a broadband modem. Note, however, that not all broadband service providers use PPPoE. If you know you need PPPoE to connect to your service provider and you happen to be using one of the supported operating systems, this implementation could be of interest to you.

FAQ 2. What is so special about this implementation of PPP over Ethernet?

Although there are several other PPPoE implementations for Windows, this one still has its unmatched strong points:

Seamless integration into the operating system. This protocol makes Ethernet network adapters appear as "modems", allowing PPPoE to be easily used within the standard Dial-Up Networking framework.

Compatibility: This protocol supports Internet Connection Sharing (including on-demand dialing), power management (Standby and Hibernate) as well as multiprocessor systems.

Completeness: This protocol can not only act as a PPPoE Host (client), but also as an Access Concentrator (server), fully implementing RFC 2516.

Compactness: The complete protocol is less than 250 KB. Yet no concessions were made in the implementation.

If this convinced you to try RASPPPOE, see Download & Install.

FAQ 3. Windows XP/.NET comes with builtin PPPoE support, why use RASPPPOE instead?

Even though Windows XP/.NET comes with builtin PPPoE support, Microsoft's implementation is not yet as sophisticated as RASPPPOE. See this feature comparison chart:

Feature Microsoft PPPoE in

Windows XP/.NET

RASPPPOE

Seamless integration with the operating system Yes

Yes

Fully exploits the maximum possible PPPoE MTU (1492)

YES

Supports Internet Connection Sharing and NAT seamlessly

YES

Allows tuning the TCP RWIN without registry changes*

YES

Offers PPPoE server (Access Concentrator) capability

YES

* To increase the autonegotiated TCP RWIN with RASPPPOE, use the Specify Link Speed option and specify a link speed of 101Mbps or greater, e.g. enter 101000 (kbps) as the link speed the protocol should report. Windows XP/.NET will then autonegotiate a TCP RWIN of approx. 64KB instead of the default 16KB, which is often too small for broadband connections.

FAQ 4. Does this protocol support internal or USB DSL modems?

Generally yes, but you require a driver for your modem that exposes the Ethernet medium type (NdisMedium802_3) in addition to this protocol. This medium type is sometimes referred to as RFC 1483 encapsulation or RFC 2684 encapsulation. You may also have to find out the VCI and VPI parameters your service provider uses. To check if you can communicate with your service provider, run RASPPPOE.EXE after installing the protocol and click the Query Available Services button. If you get at least one service offer listed, your setup is working.

Ian,

In my router/Modem (SMC) it is under NAT settings Virtual Server section you need to input the local IP address of the machine running P2P the port number the application (default usually is 6346) and select tcp and udp. This basicly opens that port to the internet directly bascily punches a hole in the NAT firewall. IF you are running SP2 firewall you must also open the ports in the firewall also...

Mike

Huski,

Normally Modems with ethernet interface have a web interface where you enter login information and other specs for it to hook to a specific dsl service. The PPPoe program you loaded is acutually already built into XP and would be used with a cable modem normally or a rare dsl modem that does not have a router built into it. The router section has a DHCP server which assigns local addresses to your machines on the lan. The dsl side logs into True and is assigned a IP from their server.