Refining Cooking Skills For Working As Chef Overseas?

uptou

Hello,my girlfreind,(not thai,but fluent in thai language),has decided that she would like to pursue being a thai chef,with hopefully the possibility of her working overeseas.This also makes sense to me as she is already a very good thai cook,who can cook all the main dishes,& she enjoys it.She used to work in a restaurant for a number of years,(which was not flash,but had great food),helping her chef freind but what are her options as far as learning to a higher level,or something a little special over here.

She has said that helping in a kitchen in a good restaurant for no money for a little while would be no problem,just so she can watch & learn.

Ive noticed that there is a school in ko sumui that offers proffesional courses,& is City & Guilds approved,but would this really help her find a job with this sort of work?I get the feeling that some of these schools are abit of a factory,similar to diving schools,& also not too creative.

I suppose that observing quality chefs at work in great restaurants would be valuable,& i dont need much of an excuse to travel.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

Edited by uptou

My girlfriend attended these workshops a few years ago. They are great for networking with overseas restauraunteurs and gaining accreditation. I think there is also help available for placement. Anyhow, I think the place to start looking is at Kasetsart University. Good Luck to the both of you.

http://www.thaifoodtoworld.com/home/interv...amp;language=EN

Edited by lannarebirth

Thanks alot for that Lannarebirth.Ive contacted them already for more details.

I noticed that the course descriptions only come up in written thai (my girlfreind cannot read thai),is that the prices i can see on there?

Thanks again.

Wandee Culinary School

Wandee Culinary School now locate at 294/16-17 Pradiphat road, Samsean Nai, Payathai,

Bangkok 10400

We previously located at Silom road, Dokya book store, opposite of Bangkok Bank Head quarter.Wandee Culinary Thai Cooking School has been established since August 12 th 1993 by Professor Wandee Na-songkhla.Wandee Culinary Thai Cooking School is the first Thai cooking school accredited and approved by Minister of Education to offer complete Home Economics study.

Our Mission in teaching at Wandee Culinary Thai Cooking School

• To educate and expand Thai food and dessert recipes to both Thai and foreigners. To gain knowledge on standard recipes, delicious, original and traditional taste completely.

• To teach our students using learning by doing concept. The real practice including preparing ingredients, cooking or carving by themselves will improve skills and expertise. The way we teach is easy to learn. Our student will also learn how to prepare chili paste, dipping sauce, seasoning sauce, etc. At completion of the course, student can cook and carve by themselves with standard taste.

• To build skills for cooking, carving for fruit and vegetables, flower decoration, banana leaves decoration, serving, etc. At completion of the course, student shall become perfect cooking personnel that suit the world's needs.

• To increase your career opportunity by cooking and carving learning experiences.

Suan Dusit International Culinary School

Suan Dusit International Culinary School offers Thai Cooking course for people who strongly wish to be Thai Chef.

Suan Dusit International Culinary School has an outstanding course for food enthusiast. With our Thai Cooking course, you'll learn both theoretical and practical Thai cuisine. Our master Chefs will expertly teach and demonstrate the practice Thai cooking in the international standard kitchens.

295 Rachasima Rd.,

Dusit Bangkok 10300 Thailand

Tel: +66(0) 22445391-3

Fax: +66(0) 2244-5390

a couple of other options, sorry no idea how good they are but perhaps worth checking out. Both of these were found on thaikitchen.org