Recommendations For Orthopaedic Surgeons (spinal Problems)

footfall

To help me get started, I'd like to ask for members' recommendations for Orthopaedic Surgeons in Bangkok (or Chiang Mai, but think it will probably be BKK).

The case is slightly (or perhaps moderately) complicated, as it involves a prolapsed disc, some vertebral compression/degeneration with kyphosis and long-standing rotation of the spine (scoliosis). However, I believe there are surgical options that could improve the situation.

Thanks, all.

To help me get started, I'd like to ask for members' recommendations for Orthopaedic Surgeons in Bangkok (or Chiang Mai, but think it will probably be BKK).

The case is slightly (or perhaps moderately) complicated, as it involves a prolapsed disc, some vertebral compression/degeneration with kyphosis and long-standing rotation of the spine (scoliosis). However, I believe there are surgical options that could improve the situation.

Thanks, all.

I have heard/read that spine clinic at Bangkok Nursing Home on Covent Road in BKK is very good.

Thanks, all.

I have heard/read that spine clinic at Bangkok Nursing Home on Covent Road in BKK is very good.

Tammi, thanks.

Is this said to be a good place for surgery (that's what I am looking at).

The Bangkok Nursing Home Spinal Center has gotten positive feedback from several TV members in the past few years, although only one mentioned a surgeon's name (Dr. Vicharn). BNH is doing disk replacements which is a very new approach using a prosthetic disk. Not all patients are suitable candidate, you'd have to have a consultation first to find out.

Aside from BNH there have also been a number of favorable recommendations for Dr. Nanthedej Hiranyasthiti at Bumrungrad Hospital.

I'd suggest you see at least 2 different doctors for opinions before making a decision so maybe try these 2. Bring any MRIs, scans etc that have been already done with you as this can help prevent unnecessary repeat tests/costs. Ask specifically what percentage chance they think you have of benefitting from surgery (if they recommend surgery) since as you may know, it is never a sure thing.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out

I am one of those who's had surgery at BNH Spinal with aforementioned Dr Vicharn (in Aug 2005 in my case). Total Artificial Disc Replacement using the German 'charite disc'. To date I am completely satisfied and have had no recurrence of problems (had major prolapse of disc L5/S1), I can exercise without restriction, sit for extended periods, all the things that back pain sufferers may find difficult. Before the op' I'd had several months of physio, episodes of being unable to walk when the disc pushed onto the nerve, etc etc, all very unpleasant anyway. Admitted to BNH on a Friday morning, surgery in the evening, out of bed the next morning, discharged on Monday, back at work Wednesday ... as you may tell, I am happy so far!

So I recommend going to see K. Vicharn (who is US trained and speaks fluent English btw) - but Sheryl is 100% correct that the OP should seek at least one more opinion. I actually went to Bumrungrad first for physio etc. When that didn't work they suggested the 'discoscopy' approach but I personally don't like the stats on that so went for a second opinion at BNH... and I'm glad I did ...

In fact I am going back for my annual x-ray / check up at BNH this coming Friday. Couple of thousand baht but money well spent imho

Sincerely hope this helps: back pain = not fun

CC

I second a previous post and highly recommend setting up an appointment with Dr. Nanthedej Hiranyasthiti at Bumrungrad Hospital.

I consulted with him last year (in June) after first visiting the BNH Spine Clinic. Based on the MRI, the doctor at BNH had recommended a three level fusion for my lower spine. It looked bad. I was in pain, too, but the pain was lessening after having an epidural injection (at BNH). Major spinal fusion with lots of metal is not something to do without very serious consideration.

I waited a couple of weeks and sought a second opinion. Dr. Nanthedej did the most thorough exam of my back that I've ever had (and I've had three previous back surgeries in the US for serious problems). He said that while my MRI did not look good, my symptoms did not indicate the immediate need for surgery. He said he prefers "to treat the patient and not the picture." I thought that made a lot of sense and was a major psychological relief for me at the time. Today, my lower back feels good with no pain or stiffness. If I had elected to do the surgery I probably would still be in recovery.

It was not that my treatment at BNH was not good, I just felt the doctor might have been a little too eager to make the case to operate. It is a business. The clincher was one day I arrived early for my appointment and he was in the waiting room reading the Bangkok Post. For some instinctive reason this made me especially uneasy. I've never met a doctor with time on his hands for anything but work. But this is just a personal subjective observation and is not a reflection on BNH or the spine clinic. I thought everyone was very competent and professional.

Do understand that the orthopedic department at Bumrungrad is always very busy. when you get there, don't let this deter or cloud your objective. Do internet research, educate yourself, and arrive with a list of key questions...

Go see Dr. Nanthedej Hiranyasthiti. He's a good doctor who cares for his patients!

Edited by onomataho

<snip>

It was not that my treatment at BNH was not good, I just felt the doctor might have been a little too eager to make the case to operate. It is a business. The clincher was one day I arrived early for my appointment and he was in the waiting room reading the Bangkok Post. For some instinctive reason this made me especially uneasy. I've never met a doctor with time on his hands for anything but work. But this is just a personal subjective observation and is not a reflection on BNH or the spine clinic. I thought everyone was very competent and professional.

Do understand that the orthopedic department at Bumrungrad is always very busy. when you get there, don't let this deter or cloud your objective. Do internet research, educate yourself, and arrive with a list of key questions...

Go see Dr. Nanthedej Hiranyasthiti. He's a good doctor who cares for his patients!

Last Friday I went for my annual x-ray at BNH. It's now 3 years post op'. The x-ray showed the artificial disc to remain dead centre and that the vertebrae remain correctly spaced - so so far, I remain 100% happy with the results of the surgery.

"Too keen to do 'something'" is of course a potential risk with any private medical facility. I only approached BNH after Bumrungrad had already proposed a surgical approach that I wasn't keen on - so can't say whether BNH would have proposed surgery first or not. What I can say is that when chatting with the doc at BNH last week, he mentioned that he had just seen "a Caucasian lady" with three herniated discs (ouch!!!) but due to various conditions she was not a suitable candidate for TADR so he wouldn't be operating...

Anyway, to the OP - what you've heard is that I highly rate BNH Spine Clinic and would never go back to Bumrungrad, and that Onamataho highly rates Dr Nanthadej at Bumrungrad and much preferred them to BNH ... medical care seems to me to be highly dependant on finding a doctor whose approach suits you as an individual ... which is just one more reason why you should go to see both!

Always get a second opinion!!

CC

...Anyway, to the OP - what you've heard is that I highly rate BNH Spine Clinic and would never go back to Bumrungrad, and that Onamataho highly rates Dr Nanthadej at Bumrungrad and much preferred them to BNH ... medical care seems to me to be highly dependant on finding a doctor whose approach suits you as an individual ... which is just one more reason why you should go to see both!

Always get a second opinion!! CC

I'd even go further and recommend a third, fourth, or even more opinions when serious surgery is on the table. Back surgery involves a lot of stress (physical and mental), recovery time, lost work, and monetary cost. It is not something to rush into unless the condition is very severe and the pain is relentless and/or increasing.

CC: I thought that the doctor of BNH was extremely competent. I just questioned the opinion that immediate surgery was my best course of action. And here I am almost a year later and generally my lower back is OK...so I think I did make the right decision. The second opinion from the doctor at Bumrungrad was helpful to me to understand the prudence of "backing off" a bit from a rush to the operating room.

Referencing your comment above, I would like to think that it is more than the doctor's "approach," but more importantly the course of action the doctor recommends. Ultimately it is the patient's decision what to do.

CC: I thought that the doctor of BNH was extremely competent. I just questioned the opinion that immediate surgery was my best course of action. And here I am almost a year later and generally my lower back is OK...so I think I did make the right decision. The second opinion from the doctor at Bumrungrad was helpful to me to understand the prudence of "backing off" a bit from a rush to the operating room.

Referencing your comment above, I would like to think that it is more than the doctor's "approach," but more importantly the course of action the doctor recommends. Ultimately it is the patient's decision what to do.

Sure, generally I do agree with your comments - guess my point was more that it was actually Bumrungrad not BNH who first recommended surgery to me - I went to see BNH for a second opinion - which I eventually elected to go with - as I wasn't at all enthusiastic about what Bumrungrad were suggesting.

But as you say, go get as many opinions as possible before agreeing to something like this - what suits one person may well not suit another...

CC