Impending World Wide Economic Depression,

jaideeguy

Sunday was the first day I had off in three weeks. Beside full time practice and part time teaching, my self and a partner are picking up properties for a song. Maybe I'll be able to retire after all... :D

That's language I don't understand.... :o

Do you mind teaching me, off time ? :D

LaoPo

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The USA still has not finished paying off its war debts from world war one, or Great Depression debts, or world war two, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, gulf war one, Afghanistan, gulf war two. They will, by all evidence, never repay more than twelve satang per billion dollars on those debts. But all evidence suggests they will keep raping and pillaging countries outside their borders. As Pepe says, maybe the karma will catch the USA in the end. In the rear end.

Thailand will survive, but what are the odds of this country being under a military or populist dictatorship similar to Burma or Cuba for fifty years?

-------------------

Actually karma will catch us all. No one is innocent... :o

Sunday was the first day I had off in three weeks. Beside full time practice and part time teaching, my self and a partner are picking up properties for a song. Maybe I'll be able to retire after all... :D

LaoPo

--------------

It means we are buying homes cheap, and going in and doing some of the work ourselves... :D

LaoPo

--------------

It means we are buying homes cheap, and going in and doing some of the work ourselves... :D

I see....where's that ? Thailand or US ?

LaoPo

USA... :o

Thanks; a few months ago an investment letter guy mentioned the same, Florida, where he found many beach homes in a so-so condition at bargain prices. I'm too far away and I'm not handy myself either :D

LaoPo

any other thoughts on how to survive a depression here in LOS??

or am I just being paranoid??

There may be light at the end of the tunnel...who knows ?

".........Dow 16,000 here we come!"

Dow 16K?

Commentary: Index could be at 16,000 by year end, Richard Band says

So I sat up and took notice earlier this week when he wrote to subscribers of his Profitable Investing newsletter that the stock market was ready to "rocket higher" in an "uptrend that could carry the blue chip indexes to all-time highs by late 2008 or early 2009. Dow 16,000 here we come!"

The Hulbert Financial Digest (HFD) has been tracking Band's newsletter since the beginning of 1991. Over the subsequent 17 years, his recommended portfolio has been 35% less volatile than the overall stock market, as measured by relative volatilities. To use a baseball analogy, this shows that Band is more inclined to try to get a base hit than he is to attempt to belt a home run.

Band's conservative approach is crucial to properly interpreting his newsletter's performance. According to the HFD, the newsletter's model portfolios on average have produced an 8.6% annualized return since the beginning of 1991, in contrast to 10.9% annualized for the Dow Jones Wilshire 5000 index

Continues here:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/dow-...F6100F2E910F%7D

A Dow Jones at 16.000 by end 2008, early 2009 would be an up of +20% from this morning's quote.

LaoPo

I worry about it sometimes..actually it resides in my subconscious peeking its ugly head out every time the baht to dollar rate drops. In October I dropped 15% down on my new condo being built on Thong Lo. I’m worried that by the time its done, (June/July 2009) that I will end up paying like 10% more for it by that time. I make most of my money from Iraq (I own a small contracting company there) as much as I despise bush, if it weren’t for his war I would not have had the opportunities to advance and earn what I now do.

That being said my plan to beat this recession is to invest in import/export of basic food commodities, like rice and edible oils. As well as High end Jewelry. The food stuffs people need to have even if they are double price and the small elite market that likes that kind of jewelry will be there regardless of a recession.

I know everyone’s situation is different. I feel for the pensioners from the States the most. It’s killing us all this week dollar. Lets hope After the elections whoever wins (I PRAY Obama) will turn it around like Bill turned around Regan’s debt.

I worry about it sometimes..actually it resides in my subconscious peeking its ugly head out every time the baht to dollar rate drops.

Lets hope After the elections whoever wins (I PRAY Obama) will turn it around like Bill turned around Regan’s debt.

your prayers may be answered but after obama comes ... who?

remember after clinton came darth vadar... ooops bush/cheney.

evil exists.

get used to it.

euthanasiaclinic.org

I worry about it sometimes..actually it resides in my subconscious peeking its ugly head out every time the baht to dollar rate drops.

Lets hope After the elections whoever wins (I PRAY Obama) will turn it around like Bill turned around Regan's debt.

your prayers may be answered but after obama comes ... who?

remember after clinton came darth vadar... ooops bush/cheney.

evil exists.

get used to it.

Who knows what after Obama, and really at this point I don't care. I take things one step at a time. All I'm saying is we suffered through our share of dark days with bush, it would be nice to enjoy the light of a better day for awhile. Will bad days come again, most certainly, but I deal with that when it happens. And if we can get 8 years of Democratic rule in The States I should be in a much better position to weather through the dark times of republicans.

euthanasiaclinic.org

• 2 months later...
After a recent conversation with my wise old [89 yrs] father who survived the 'Great American Depression' of the 30's.....it left some lasting scars and he learned some harsh lessons, so I respect his advise and experience. Then, he went on to investing conservatively so he has a nice retirement nest egg.

He claims that we may be in for another 'Big One' and from what I read and see on the news, he could be right. Not looking too good for the American economy [and with the world], especially since we are so global now. We witness the ripple effect of the Dow Jones daily.

Most of my assets are in the US stock exchange, which leaves me quite vulnerable, IF the s**t hits the fan and with the falling dollar and stronger baht, I feel the pinch already. His words have been keeping me awake thinking of the best way to survive over here in LOS, as this is my home now with a family, property and I personally think that Thailand will always be able to feed herself.

How did Thailand fare during the 'Great depression' ?? My guess is that they were not greatly affected as they have always been agriculturally based and independent, and probably mostly barter trade.... but what about this [possible] next one?? Now that the Thai economy is much more dependant on exports, tourism, etc....more global, for better [during good times] and worse [during bad times].

My thoughts on survival here as a retired/married falang are:

#1] bite the bullet and deposit the 800,000THB in the bank, so I don't have to pay immigration sharks on a monthly basis

#2] get out of debt!!

#3] sell my house with swimming pool and too much $ maintenance

#4] buy some farm land, enough to be self sufficient and possibly make a few baht on farm products

#5] live more like a Thai

why all the drama? Just learn FOREX.

After a recent conversation with my wise old [89 yrs] father who survived the 'Great American Depression' of the 30's.....it left some lasting scars and he learned some harsh lessons, so I respect his advise and experience. Then, he went on to investing conservatively so he has a nice retirement nest egg.

He claims that we may be in for another 'Big One' and from what I read and see on the news, he could be right. Not looking too good for the American economy [and with the world], especially since we are so global now. We witness the ripple effect of the Dow Jones daily.

Most of my assets are in the US stock exchange, which leaves me quite vulnerable, IF the s**t hits the fan and with the falling dollar and stronger baht, I feel the pinch already. His words have been keeping me awake thinking of the best way to survive over here in LOS, as this is my home now with a family, property and I personally think that Thailand will always be able to feed herself.

How did Thailand fare during the 'Great depression' ?? My guess is that they were not greatly affected as they have always been agriculturally based and independent, and probably mostly barter trade.... but what about this [possible] next one?? Now that the Thai economy is much more dependant on exports, tourism, etc....more global, for better [during good times] and worse [during bad times].

My thoughts on survival here as a retired/married falang are:

#1] bite the bullet and deposit the 800,000THB in the bank, so I don't have to pay immigration sharks on a monthly basis

#2] get out of debt!!

#3] sell my house with swimming pool and too much $ maintenance

#4] buy some farm land, enough to be self sufficient and possibly make a few baht on farm products

#5] live more like a Thai

why all the drama? Just learn FOREX.

I've always been intimidated by the FOREX market even though

I successfully traded share options in Sydney. But I prefer

it when it is based on individual shares while in Thailand

they only have options trading based on the SET 50 index.

I can see there are a number of sources online where you can

get material to teach the fundamentals of FOREX but which

organization do you put your trades through?