Moving To Chaing Rai

robinhoodlum

Hello to you all in Chaing Rai.

I have been living in Phuket for the past eleven years, and I am now looking for a new home in the North of Thailand. I have always been looking at moving to Chaing Mai, but recently issues of pollutuion and traffic has put me off, and for some reason I can't get Chaing Rai out of my head.

So I'm hoping if anyone has the time, to answer a few questions, as I will be coming up to Chaing Rai after songkran to have alook round.

I really need to know about the schools there, i read the post on schools just a minute ago, and apart from peoples suspicions (rightly or wrongly) of the motasori school I couldn't work out which ones were best for what ages

I have a 3 and half year old and a 15 month baby, what would be the best school for under 5's

Is it possible to find land high up with a chanote? What prices can I expect to pay for land with a good water supply/ running water ideally and access to sigle phase power. Is this possible or am I dreaming :o

I built my home here in Phuket, and was thinking of doing the same up there, are there some construction companies up there you might be able to recommend.

Is there a growing expat community there or do people pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

Do you have a business association in Chaing Rai, are there meeting groups of any kind that aren't religeous.

What kind of issues do you think might cause me problems for me and my family after moving to Chaing Rai

Does the city have places to buy weekly food (big c? tesco lotus?)

Do you know of any property developers, who are building, is this a growing market?

lots of questions my apoligies, keen to find out more

many thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer a few of these questions.

Chiang Rai is sure not Phuket and you will miss everything but the traffic.

Regarding building and schools you need to find out by visiting. Chiang Rai is just one step away from heaven. After you adjust a bit I think that you will love it there.

The first Saturday night of each month we have a great farang and Thai get together at Don's Cafe in Doi Hang. A great opportunity to meet people.

Any building you do you will have to stand over the work or you will really be disappointed. However, this is the case in most of Thailand.

The Thai people are very friendly and kind and stick to the traditional Lanna Lifestyle.

Best wishes.

Don also from Phuket

Don,

From Dons Cafe, well well I had hear you moved up to Chaing Mai, didn't realise you had gone a little further north. Last time we met was in Samui at Grahams "the deck" (you may not remember me but my name is Robin you might also know Wally and Lory all of us built Phuket Fantasy) a while back he was building a big place there with a stage,(I think its all gone now is that right?) thats why I was there to help with the install on the sound equipment. Is your brother also with still?

Don, I am coming up to visit just after SongKran, and will be looking to buy a patch of land somewhere high, with power (ideally) but definatly good water source. Would you know of anyone I can trust to help me?

will come and see you if thats okay when I'm there, catch up and say Hi

thanks for your reply and great to hear from you!

robin

Chiang Rai is sure not Phuket and you will miss everything but the traffic.

Regarding building and schools you need to find out by visiting. Chiang Rai is just one step away from heaven. After you adjust a bit I think that you will love it there.

The first Saturday night of each month we have a great farang and Thai get together at Don's Cafe in Doi Hang. A great opportunity to meet people.

Any building you do you will have to stand over the work or you will really be disappointed. However, this is the case in most of Thailand.

The Thai people are very friendly and kind and stick to the traditional Lanna Lifestyle.

Best wishes.

Don also from Phuket

Hello to you all in Chaing Rai.

I have been living in Phuket for the past eleven years, and I am now looking for a new home in the North of Thailand. I have always been looking at moving to Chaing Mai, but recently issues of pollutuion and traffic has put me off, and for some reason I can't get Chaing Rai out of my head.

So I'm hoping if anyone has the time, to answer a few questions, as I will be coming up to Chaing Rai after songkran to have alook round.

I really need to know about the schools there, i read the post on schools just a minute ago, and apart from peoples suspicions (rightly or wrongly) of the motasori school I couldn't work out which ones were best for what ages

I have a 3 and half year old and a 15 month baby, what would be the best school for under 5's

Is it possible to find land high up with a chanote? What prices can I expect to pay for land with a good water supply/ running water ideally and access to sigle phase power. Is this possible or am I dreaming :o

I built my home here in Phuket, and was thinking of doing the same up there, are there some construction companies up there you might be able to recommend.

Is there a growing expat community there or do people pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

Do you have a business association in Chaing Rai, are there meeting groups of any kind that aren't religeous.

What kind of issues do you think might cause me problems for me and my family after moving to Chaing Rai

Does the city have places to buy weekly food (big c? tesco lotus?)

Do you know of any property developers, who are building, is this a growing market?

lots of questions my apoligies, keen to find out more

many thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer a few of these questions.

i will try to answer your questions

schools, i would put your children in the kindergarden at AMEC its a english curriculan shool, at your childrens age as long as they are taught english and are happy and im sure they will be then you can decide after kindergarden if you want to move them to another school,i believe all is not well at montisorri school as some parents have moved their children over to AMEC

land, of course you can find land with chanote that wont flood the price will depend on location but you can rest assured the land will be cheaper than phuket

construction companies, you can get a good builder from recomendations off people who have had a house built and were happy with their builder but dont take the first quote check around.

expat community, there is a very big expat community in chaingrai when you consider 15years ago all the expats knew each other, now you can meet a falang whose been here for say 5 years and you have never bumped into him before,i would say most falang keep themselves to themselves.

meeting groups, if you like getting some exercise there are plenty of farang who like to cycle,play tennis, i know of about ten golfers who assure me they are better than tiger woods, i love the CHAINGRAI HASH HOUSE HARRIERS,plus we have a movie/book club once a fortnight i think.

problems,if you are a sensible non headbanging person you should not have any problems in chaingrai.

supermarkets, if we did not have the BIG C,MAKRO,and TESCO(not far away ) i think we would all starve.

property developers, there are quite a few housing estates going up in this growing market in chaingrai,the most well know is sinthanee who are on their seventh housing estate.

hope this helps

Robin:

Now I remember you. Graham got cheated out of his property and beat up pretty bad by the mafia in Samui. His Thai manager forged the company papers and sold the lease back to the owner. This of course is his side of the issue. All of the equipment was sold and the money kept. He has been in court now for 2 years to no avail. Witnesses disappear or don't come to the court hearing. AMAZING LEGAL SYSTEM. As you know, Samui is controlled by a small amount of local people and don't expect this to change. I rent there but would never consider buying.

I should be in Chiang Rai for the next 20 to 30 days call me on 081 894 6401.

Property you will have to look for. A lof of the land that is not being cultivated does not have chanot titles. Many people seem to buy land from squaters who suggest that a chanot can be issued later. The land office would be a good place to start to talk they know all. You will find all the land you need.

Don

• 3 weeks later...