Man Severely Injured After Setting Himself Ablaze In Front Of Parliament

george

Man severely injured after setting himself ablaze in front of Parliament

BANGKOK: -- A man was severely injured after he set himself ablaze in front of Parliament early Friday morning to protest against House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat.

Police said Man Truajmakkha, 44, rode his motorcycle to Parliament and took off his clothes and poured petrol over himself.

Police said the man from Buri Ram, who has been working as meatball deliverer in Bangkok, shouted "Yongyuth Get Out" and lit himself up.

Parliament officials rushed out to put out the fire and sent him to Watchira Hospital.

-- The Nation 2008-03-21

Would I be out of line to suggest simple courtesy for folks (even misguided Thais) who are willing to sacrifice their own lives for a righteous principle, without harming another human being? An entire world religion was founded on that basis. I believe the Buddhist monks in Tibet and Myanmar have used that method. Do you know where the American protests to the war in Vietnam originated? From Buddhist monks practicing self-immolation.

Would I be out of line to suggest simple courtesy for folks (even misguided Thais) who are willing to sacrifice their own lives for a righteous principle, without harming another human being? An entire world religion was founded on that basis. I believe the Buddhist monks in Tibet and Myanmar have used that method. Do you know where the American protests to the war in Vietnam originated? From Buddhist monks practicing self-immolation.

What righteous principle? The guy was clearly delusional and making him an object of religious reverence only encourages more bordeline cases to copy him.

What righteous principle? The guy was clearly delusional and making him an object of religious reverence only encourages more bordeline cases to copy him.

Delusional or not, the guy still deserves some respect and sympathy, not ridicule.

And how do you know he was delusional, as opposed to someone who was making a rather desperate last stand for some principle or other he held dear? Like political culpability or responsibility for one's actions, for example? :o

People that blow themselves up killing as many as they can with them are evil and very different to someone setting themselves on fire. The former is over instantly, could you imagine the pain of being burnt alive, that is assuming you die, otherwise a life of painful and hideous scarring. I don't see the need for jokes about that, yes he may be delusional, or feeling extremely committed to a protest that only hurts himself.

Disagree. Inappropriate comparison. We don't know what the real reason was at this point. For all we know he could have a history of mental illness or have been manipulated. There is a big difference in Thailand between the Chinese brutal violation of Tibet or the Burmese junta. I don't think well balanced folks go around killing themselves as one can achive far more alive than dead.

Delusional or not, the guy still deserves some respect and sympathy, not ridicule.

And how do you know he was delusional, as opposed to someone who was making a rather desperate last stand for some principle or other he held dear? Like political culpability or responsibility for one's actions, for example? :D

Would you set yourself on fire on a principle? :o Apparently, its quite painful.

And how do you know he was delusional, as opposed to someone who was making a rather desperate last stand for some principle or other he held dear? Like political culpability or responsibility for one's actions, for example? :D

Would you set yourself on fire on a principle? :o Apparently, its quite painful.

If a human being decides, for whatever reason, to set himself on fire without trying to hurt or kill other people or damage other people's property, we should be silent! Shame on all of you that try to ridicule this man. It amounts to an extremely high degree of self to be able not only to contemplate an act like this, but also doing it. For him, whatever his reasoning, this was an act he thought necessary. in doing this he was extremely brave. And it shows an extremely degree of foolishness, stupidity and cowardice to comment in a ridiculing way. So please, if you comment on this, try to be a little respectful. Thank you!

Edited by hansnl

I have no idea what drove him to do what he did. If you think he has valid reasons - many people think that even having indoor public rallies are unwarranted at the moment, check the PAD thread.

Come to think of it, these people probably wouldn't mind if all PAD protesters burn themselves, too. :o

Would you set yourself on fire on a principle? :D Apparently, its quite painful.

Not as painful as your sense of humour. :o

I wouldn't say I was religious maybe agnostic,buddist principles are admirable Im sure but there are other ways to do this and should not be condoned, is it not a "sin" in the christian bible for instance to take ones own life.

Would you set yourself on fire on a principle? :D Apparently, its quite painful.

Not as painful as your sense of humour. :o

Thanks. Want a light?

I read in the newspaper that this guy has now died.

By the way, I don't know which Christian Bible you have, but the one I was raised with does NOT allow for suicide. I am sure there are people who can quote chapter and verse. I can't, but I do remember when I was very young that people who committed suicide were not buried inside the cemetery. They were buried outisde of it, or in the town cemetery, which was non-denominational.

I read in the newspaper that this guy has now died.

By the way, I don't know which Christian Bible you have, but the one I was raised with does NOT allow for suicide. I am sure there are people who can quote chapter and verse. I can't, but I do remember when I was very young that people who committed suicide were not buried inside the cemetery. They were buried outisde of it, or in the town cemetery, which was non-denominational.

What on earth are you going on about? :D

You always seem to be quick on the draw, offering your 'condolences' to familys you have never met, whenever there is a death reported on this site.

Yet on this unfortunate incident you are wittering on about 'suicide'

How do you know it was suicide. The guy could have done this without expecting to die.

Sorry to rant like this, but it winds me up when someone pretends to be all righteous, yet when you scratch the surface.......... :o

The poor guys dead, I didnt know him, neither did you, let him RIP without silly remarks being made. :D