Soaps & Other Slap Fests

minbari73

Hiya ppl, long time no talky. Just wanted to know if any of you fellows living with your Thai Wives have to put up with the curse of the Thai soap opera...you know the ones, where the overwrought acting, struggling jealousy/hold me back catfights, awful and more often than not stolen from western sources music swells to crecendos every 3 minutes, beautiful women with catsbum mouths glaring at one another, handsome men smiling at the camera ...drive you up the wall with screaming and arguing...i tell ya...if it didn't keep my Wife continually amused I would destroy the goddamn TV set! She must have watched at least 45 different soaps in the last 4 years and they are ALL the same! I swear I've heard the same music used in at least 20 of them...same actors too! That springy/boingy sound that signals a funny moment...oh gawd....

:o

Hiya ppl, long time no talky. Just wanted to know if any of you fellows living with your Thai Wives have to put up with the curse of the Thai soap opera...you know the ones, where the overwrought acting, struggling jealousy/hold me back catfights, awful and more often than not stolen from western sources music swells to crecendos every 3 minutes, beautiful women with catsbum mouths glaring at one another, handsome men smiling at the camera ...drive you up the wall with screaming and arguing...i tell ya...if it didn't keep my Wife continually amused I would destroy the goddamn TV set! She must have watched at least 45 different soaps in the last 4 years and they are ALL the same! I swear I've heard the same music used in at least 20 of them...same actors too! That springy/boingy sound that signals a funny moment...oh gawd....

:o

Some of it is ok, plus I dont know why you ranting about them using some western music? why other white countries allowed to use it but if someone in asia uses it they get call up for stealing white music?

I know your having a rant and some of it drives me crazy too. But some of the ladies are easy on the eyes

I rarely watch them, but I hated most American TV as well. One of my wives called it "junk food for the mind". She thought the best place for television was on the curbside, waiting for trash pick-up. I wouldn't go that far though, I like it for watching DVD's and a few foreign broadcasts, such as BBC, DW & NHK in English.

That stuff gets turned OFF as soon as I step in the house. I'm pretty easy going, but the soap operas here do my nut...

You have to wonder about the mindset of a people who fill their head with this crap on a daily basis.

Well if the producers paid the ASCAP fees that would be fine and dandy, but that wasn't my main rant :o

Good description in your original post! :D

I've heard "Titanic", "Doctor Zhivago", "Last of the Mohicans" and all sorts of ripped off music in these soaps - best bit about them. Pity the shouting and screaming spoils the music.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Meh, I don't care what Mrs Slackula watches (although it's mainly the morning news shows etc) I just tune out and focus on whatever I am doing.

I find soaps in the western world when I go home to be far more irritating, probably because I understand the crpa that they cover.

Stewardesses ? Funnily enough it's a show about Pilots and Flight Attendants that finally prompted my rant. Well done :o

My wife tells me the female writer of the show was hunted down and thrown in jail..which made me very very happy indeed :D

As long as we are on this topic. Does anyone (who is living in Thailand) have a wife or GF capable of watching a serious western movie drama? Preferebly viewing in English with Thai subtitles. I have met one or two who can grasp the story, most of them either have no interest or it is beyond their comprehension.

As long as we are on this topic. Does anyone (who is living in Thailand) have a wife or GF capable of watching a serious western movie drama? Preferebly viewing in English with Thai subtitles. I have met one or two who can grasp the story, most of them either have no interest or it is beyond their comprehension.

A mate of mine reckons his missus and his GF before watch(ed) and seemed to enjoy western stuff even without subtitles, but usually their main interest was the main topic. I suppose it would be like asking us to watch foreign or Thai movies constantly..i know i would tire very quickly of that. It's just not our culture :o