Why Do Posters Use Quotes When It Is So Uneccessary?

0Mix1up

This post about mobiles on planes

4 quotes of the same thing for no reason in the first few replies,

no highlighting nothing other than taking up bandwidth :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=175863&hl=

Many others.

Can/has there been a notice to all to use that feature for a specific reason?

Rant rant ting away :D

yep Tottally agree!! :D

I don't. But it will be interesting to see how long multiple quotes will go for on this thread. For me its not a good multiple quoting thread if you don't hold the down scroll key for less than 7 secs

Edited by zorro1

Many others.

I don't. But it will be interesting to see how long multiple quotes will go for on this thread. For me its not a good multiple quoting thread if you don't hold the down scroll key for less than 7 secs

Why do some people start pointless threads?

Many others.

yep Tottally agree!!

Why do some people start pointless threads?

99% replys are pointless :D

Many others.

Yep, it bugs me too. :D

Many others.

because it makes other people so happy!

Many others.

This is getting silly now

Many others.

What is?

Many others.

What is?

I am unsure, but happy to add some pleasure to the OP's life!

Many others.

What is?

Ah, I get it, you mean quoting lengthy posts for no reason. Yes, agreed, ridiculous behaviour. I'd never do a thing like that...

Many others.

What is?

Ah, I get it, you mean quoting lengthy posts for no reason. Yes, agreed, ridiculous behaviour. I'd never do a thing like that...

Waay too much time on our hands!! but keep going this could end up like the three word story.

Many others.

What is?

Waay too much time on our hands!! but keep going this could end up like the three word story.

It is bad netiquette or – in other words – bad manners.

The reason I have retained all quotes in this reply is that the purpose of this thread seems to bee to see how many nested quotes, ie a series of quoted posts where each quote is encased in the next, newer quote, can be used in a reply until you monitor explodes :D

As I said, it is bad form. It is also bad netiquette, or worse, to modify the format or colour of part of the quoted text. The optimal way to quote is to snip everything from the quoted post except the text passage that is relevant to one’s reply. It is common sense, I think.

--

Maestro

Yep, it bugs me too. :o

What is?

It is bad netiquette or – in other words – bad manners.

The reason I have retained all quotes in this reply is that the purpose of this thread seems to bee to see how many nested quotes, ie a series of quoted posts where each quote is encased in the next, newer quote, can be used in a reply until you monitor explodes :D

As I said, it is bad form. It is also bad netiquette, or worse, to modify the format or colour of part of the quoted text. The optimal way to quote is to snip everything from the quoted post except the text passage that is relevant to one’s reply. It is common sense, I think.

--

Maestro

Common Sense is (often) in short supply among many posters.

I like the ones who quote a huge post, and add absolutely nothing at all to it. Then the ones who follow up by again quoting the entire mess, and adding an emoticon to it.

Or the ones that quote a frikkin huge post, and add their comments inside the quote, in the same font and colour as the original.

Or the ones..........//snipped to prevent this from becoming a meaningful discussion.

Edited by Kerryd

As I said, it is bad form. It is also bad netiquette, or worse, to modify the format or colour of part of the quoted text.

Interesting, I tend to do as you suggest, and snip out everything not relevant. BUT, sometimes I highlight (usually bold) a particular part of the quote to clarify exactly what I'm replying to. Are you suggesting that this is bad form?

How about replying in-line? In for example a quote with multiple questions, I sometimes insert my reply inside the quote, in a contrasting colour and with a comment like "my replies in red". IMHO this can reduce the chances of misunderstandings in these circumstances.

Do you have a reference where we can look for guidance as to what is and is not, proper form?

...BUT, sometimes I highlight (usually bold) a particular part of the quote to clarify exactly what I'm replying to. Are you suggesting that this is bad form?

Yes. Instead of highlighting the text passage in the quote to which one replies one should quote only that text passage. Altering anything in quoted text gives the incorrect appearance that the person making that post wrote it that way. It is akin to putting words in his mouth.

How about replying in-line? In for example a quote with multiple questions, I sometimes insert my reply inside the quote, in a contrasting colour and with a comment like "my replies in red". IMHO this can reduce the chances of misunderstandings in these circumstances.

I have seen this sometimes and it would seem to make sense where the quoted post is very long and needs answers to many different questions. If you add a line outside the quote box to explain that this is what you did, it makes things clear. If that added text is not there, it looks like your post consists of quoted text only and a moderator may delete it for that reason.

Nevertheless, this leaves the problem that you quote the whole, lengthy post whereas much of it is probably not necessary to your answers. It is better, although a little more laborious, to quote separately each individual snippet of the previous post for each of your answers, as I am doing here.

However, if there are too many separate blocks of quoted text (not nested quotes) you will indeed get an error message of the type jdinasia referred to higher up in this thread:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text

I don't know what the limit is, but it could be five or six.

Do you have a reference where we can look for guidance as to what is and is not, proper form?

I don't have a link to such guide but remember seeing one a long time ago. I believe it was a link given in a forum or usenet group to which I once signed up.

--

Maestro

Sometimes we moderators go through and edit the excessive quotes, leaving a note why it is a bad idea.

And at other times we cannot be bothered to fiddle with it and just delete the whole post, if it is not material to the thread.

--

Maestro