The Dark Side II

paul1970

:o Dark Siders

Lets use this thread to discuss other amenaties we have over here on the Dark Side basically anything goes except for restaurants which should be on the original Dark Side.

From the original Dark Side thread I have learnt of places I didn't know existed such as the Black Pearl, the Butterfly, Dark Side of Dao even to things such as Bakery shops and minimart that sell beer out of hours etc, so I would like to expand on thing like that on this thread.

Please remember to provide location details as sometimes finding some of these places on the Dark Side can be a challenge.

To start us off I will suggest a good wateriing hole on Nernplubwaan which is the Lucky Time bar, which has a nice atmosphere for a few drinks and a game of pool etc and much cheaper beer prices than what is found on the other side.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets use this thread to discuss other amenaties we have over here on the Dark Side basically anything goes except for restaurants which should be on the original Dark Side.

From the original Dark Side thread I have learnt of places I didn't know existed such as the Black Pearl, the Butterfly, Dark Side of Dao even to things such as Bakery shops and minimart that sell beer out of hours etc, so I would like to expand on thing like that on this thread.

Please remember to provide location details as sometimes finding some of these places on the Dark Side can be a challenge.

To start us off I will suggest a good wateriing hole on Nernplubwaan which is the Lucky Time bar, which has a nice atmosphere for a few drinks and a game of pool etc and much cheaper beer prices than what is found on the other side.

Actually, Paul, the Lucky Time was mentioned very early in the original Dark Side thread. As I noted there, I stopped in one afternnoon for a quick beer, while walking home from Carrefour (just for the exercise). I agree with your assessment. I was surprised to find a nice, seemingly ordinary pub-like place. Female waitresses, but, at least at that hour, no BGs. Very nice atmosphere.

If the food service stays as it is at "The Courtyard", they might want to consider changing that to the same type of venue, because it may collapse as a restaurant!

Actually, Paul, the Lucky Time was mentioned very early in the original Dark Side thread. As I noted there, I stopped in one afternnoon for a quick beer, while walking home from Carrefour (just for the exercise). I agree with your assessment. I was surprised to find a nice, seemingly ordinary pub-like place. Female waitresses, but, at least at that hour, no BGs. Very nice atmosphere.

If the food service stays as it is at "The Courtyard", they might want to consider changing that to the same type of venue, because it may collapse as a restaurant!

Just my Two 'pennorth. The Lucky Time also has Darts and Pool teams, both of which participate in the Pattaya leagues. If you are after a quiet game of pool/darts etc. and want a relaxed (no BG scene) friendly atmosphere in which to have a few beers (its safe to take the missus as well) then it is hard to beat - especially as I can walk there in under five minutes ;o)

in addition: coming from Sukkie, about 300 metres over the Railway lines on the RHS is a large snooker hall, with 'proper' snooker tables called "Marine Snooker" (its next to the Marine Ice factory for those that know it). If you are looking for a proper snooker table on which to have a few frames then this place is very good, there isn't any A/C etc. but a few chilled bottles of beer halp to keep the sweat down.

Also, almost directly opposite this (on the LHS of the road, just past TW City Home village), is a Thai 'open-air' restaurant (I don't know the name) with a dark green 'canopy/awning' at the front which serves some nice + good Thai food, you can get a good sized meal and a bottle of water for less than 100 baht - I usually use this for a spot of lunch when the missus isn't home.

Dave

PS: is the "Dao bar" also known as the "Swimming pool bar" ???? I've been to this place once with some friends, but I was very, very drunk.

I live close to the lucky time bar, and as others have stated it is the type of bar you can take your wife/girlfriend to with no problems as in no working girls there and it is a british style local pub, it's done out really well, concerning the food, Thai food good, farang food bad.

For 'action' bars, Black pearl 1 is crap, however Blackpearl 2 is good, with swimming pool and jacuzzi, skinny dipping with the staff is encouraged, same goes for La guinette (spelling).

I'll try and find a map which was marked out by the owner of Noi's bar, it has most of the darkside bars on it with their location, give me 10-15 minutes and i'll post it here.

I live close to the lucky time bar, and as others have stated it is the type of bar you can take your wife/girlfriend to with no problems as in no working girls there and it is a british style local pub, it's done out really well, concerning the food, Thai food good, farang food bad.

For 'action' bars, Black pearl 1 is crap, however Blackpearl 2 is good, with swimming pool and jacuzzi, skinny dipping with the staff is encouraged, same goes for La guinette (spelling).

I'll try and find a map which was marked out by the owner of Noi's bar, it has most of the darkside bars on it with their location, give me 10-15 minutes and i'll post it here.

Good work v8tfcorty !! - a map is just what this thread needs !!

Dave

What about Mulligans?

Is it any better now..

Because i went there 2 times when it just opened, but at that time i didn't really like it.

Grumpy staff, bad service.. food was oke but nothing special..

Actually i hope they made some improvements because it's a 2 minute drive for me.

Edited by Jareddiving

Also, there is a very nice karaoke bar next to Rhun Thip!!! :cheese:

:D Is it possible to slap somebody with email? :o:D

LOL ..... off-topic slightly, anyone else with Google Earth fancy collaborating on a DarkSide .kmz file ?? perhaps then we could post it here for others to use.

Here we go as promised a map of the darkside showing the locations of most bars.

I hope you are all able to blow the map up to full size, cause it ain't good like this.

Awsome, it blows up really good when you click on it and it appears to be extremely up to date as I beleive some of these bars have only been open a couple of months, I'm thinking mostly of PG Bar and Pussycat Bar both of which I believe are quite new. Looks like theres a lot more happening on the Dark side than we think.

Here we go as promised a map of the darkside showing the locations of most bars.

I hope you are all able to blow the map up to full size, cause it ain't good like this.

Awsome, it blows up really good when you click on it and it appears to be extremely up to date as I beleive some of these bars have only been open a couple of months, I'm thinking mostly of PG Bar and Pussycat Bar both of which I believe are quite new. Looks like theres a lot more happening on the Dark side than we think.

<personal details removed> is the owner of Noi's bar and he has been putting that map together in his spare time, i think he only finished that version beginning of February, while it's not a 100% accurate as in he has probably missed a few bars here and there plus there are new ones opening up all the time, it is by far the best map on offer i have seen showing the loction of the various bars.

why "Dark Side"? we live ~1.5km east of Sukhumvit but we have electricity, street lights and believe it or not... lighting in our home.

That is the commonly accepted nickname for everything east of Sukhumvit in the general Pattaya area, Naam. It refers to the contrast between this side, and the "neon jungle" that is the east side of Pattaya.

Also, there is a very nice karaoke bar next to Rhun Thip!!! :cheese:

:D Is it possible to slap somebody with email? :o:D

LOL ..... off-topic slightly, anyone else with Google Earth fancy collaborating on a DarkSide .kmz file ?? perhaps then we could post it here for others to use.

I have google earth on my pc and it's great for viewing but even though this KMZ file sounds good I'm afraid I would have no idea where to start.

Please remenber guys that discussion of bargirls and URL`s to sites with such content are not allowed.

One such URL has been deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

:D I told ya so! I told ya so! :o:D

I think as long as we can keep the discussion about the ambience and atmosphere of the bars then we should be OK. The things I would be interested in are more about location, atmosphere, prices etc rather than info about the girls, we've all been in Pattaya long enough to know what that is all about.

I don't know if info such as the girls being pushy or leave you alone is against the rules but that is something I think that would be good to know as IMO there's nothing worse than if you just want to have a drink and theres pushy girls disturbing you, surely that would be general info about the bars atmosphere.

I'm hoping also that the thread will spread to all amenities on the Dark side not just bars, though bar information is well appreciated too.

But it is getting lighter and lighter on this side!!

Good thing or not?

Personally, I'm a NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) kind of guy. I have absolutely no problem with any of the "bright light" businesses on the east side, the services they offer, or the opportunity for guys to make use of those services.

But I see no problem with asking guys to travel a few kms for some of that entertainment.

I live here. I'd prefer that the only bright lights over here are for restaurants, nice pub style places (like Lucky Time), a couple of good supermarkets (which we really lack here).

I fear, however, that there is very little, if any hope for such restriction. The other type of bright light places have virtually exploded in just the last few months. There's not going to be any law enforcement effort to stop it; nor will there be any "neighborhood protests". Those of us who'd like to keep this a decent residential area are, I'm afraid, doomed.

Does anybody disagree?

Worth a mention is the GIB minimart at the far side of the lake. Good selection of coffee (I think 4 or 5 different brands), other farang-oriented foodstuff such as aceto balsamico and a bunch of ham, sausage etc in the fridge for breakfast emergencies.

The owner is constantly expanding his offer and has also fresh coffee and bread as the latest additions.

Please remenber guys that discussion of bargirls and URL`s to sites with such content are not allowed.

One such URL has been deleted.

Thanks for your cooperation.

:D I told ya so! I told ya so! :o:D

I think as long as we can keep the discussion about the ambience and atmosphere of the bars then we should be OK. The things I would be interested in are more about location, atmosphere, prices etc rather than info about the girls, we've all been in Pattaya long enough to know what that is all about.

I don't know if info such as the girls being pushy or leave you alone is against the rules but that is something I think that would be good to know as IMO there's nothing worse than if you just want to have a drink and theres pushy girls disturbing you, surely that would be general info about the bars atmosphere.

I'm hoping also that the thread will spread to all amenities on the Dark side not just bars, though bar information is well appreciated too.

Discussions concerning bargirls or barboys are not allowed.

Here is an extract from the forum rules.

You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, referencing prostitution (including bargirls and barboys), referencing suicide, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

PJ's bar Top of Khao Noi is not too bad on a Friday nights, good place to take the missus or relax with friends, has music and a pool.

Have we met before?

We ended up there a couple of times recently after our Friday night-outs. The place is packed and good party going on indeed.

Is there some reason that this map (.jpg) isn't a clickable link? Has it been disabled or something, or is it another, undiscussable, reason?

PJ's bar Top of Khao Noi is not too bad on a Friday nights, good place to take the missus or relax with friends, has music and a pool.

Have we met before?

We ended up there a couple of times recently after our Friday night-outs. The place is packed and good party going on indeed.

Thats very possible Raro :o , although Im a bit worse for wear when Im in there, my parents friends normally sit along the right hand side near the singer. Do you know Malcom?

I normally pop in every other Friday.

Have we met before?

Thats very possible Raro :o , although Im a bit worse for wear when Im in there, my parents friends normally sit along the right hand side near the singer. Do you know Malcom?

I normally pop in every other Friday.

Is Malcolm the owner? Been introduced to him, nothing more. We appeared there three times in the course of our Friday night-out ventures and I kinda like the place, although I am possibly on of the youngest there at my tender age of 41.