International Travel On Budget Airlines

peter991

I travel fairly regularly from Australia to Thailand. Fifteen months ago, I moved to the east coast of Australia. I either flew Thai Airways direct from Brisbane to Bangkok (depart at midnight, arrive at 6.30am - non-stop) or Singapore Airlines (depart almost midnight, 1.5 to 2 hours at Changi Airport and into Bangkok around 8.30am).

In November last year, Air Asia X arrived at Gold Coast Airport (OOL), Coolangatta. They fly the OOL-KUL-BKK route 4 times a week. I am 30 minutes away from that airport and 2 hours away from Brisbane International Airport. Logically, it's quicker and cheaper for me to travel to OOL and fly to BKK.

Tonight, having just booked and paid for my next flight to Thailand in 2 weeks' time, I am wondering if the saving is worth it.

Here's how things stack up for a return economy flight (inc all taxes) ex Australia 08 April and returning in 8 days:

The goal is to fly from Gold Coast (OOL) or Brisbane (BNE) to Bangkok.

Air Asia X: 4 times a week, 3 hour stopover in KUL LCCT, $903.

Thai Airways: Daily, direct, $1,050.

China Airlines: Not daily, via Taipei, $1,174.

Eva Air: Not daily, via Taipei, (difficult website to book online), $1,214

Singapore Airlines: Daily, 2 hour stop in Singapore, $1,245

Cathay Pacific: Daily via Hong Kong, $1,314

Malaysian Airlines: Daily via Kuala Lumpur, $1,395.

I have deliberate not included flights where I have to travel to Sydney or Melbourne before flying out of Australia. This cuts out Emirates (from Sydney) and Jetstar (from Melbourne).

Looking at the prices above - is budget airline travel really worth it - for an international flight?

On paper, I save 1.5 hours travelling into Brisbane (but I spend 3 hours in KUL). I save $147 by choosing Air Asia X over Thai Airways. I have to pay for my own meals, blanket, pillow etc and because Air Asia X is a point-to-point airline, I have to walk 350 metres across the LCCT in KUL, 'enter' Malaysia at Immigration, find my luggage; cart it around with me for 2 hours, then 'leave' Malaysia by getting stamped out of the country and then walk another 350 metres to my plane for the ride to Bangkok.

Can I please have the thoughts of those members who travel economy and pay for their own tickets. Not necessarily Australians - I am interested in your thoughts and story.

Peter

Im not sure of your question Pete.,but i paid $903.00 Sydney to Bangkok return last month,this includes the taxes,no more to pay.

Flew British Airways.Booked thru www.travel.com.au

Always fly ecomony,always have the aisle seat because im too fat.

I take it you are asking if economy is ok? yes it is,i always fly economy to Bangkok.

The seats are still wide enough for fatties such as me.

I have never flew business class,do you usually not fly economy?

Just to answer a question: Yes, I always fly economy - because I am paying for the flights - and I would rather have the money to spend when I get to Thailand - not give unnecessary money to the airlines.

Peter

Looking at the prices above - is budget airline travel really worth it - for an international flight?

On paper, I save 1.5 hours travelling into Brisbane (but I spend 3 hours in KUL). I save $147 by choosing Air Asia X over Thai Airways. I have to pay for my own meals, blanket, pillow etc and because Air Asia X is a point-to-point airline, I have to walk 350 metres across the LCCT in KUL, 'enter' Malaysia at Immigration, find my luggage; cart it around with me for 2 hours, then 'leave' Malaysia by getting stamped out of the country and then walk another 350 metres to my plane for the ride to Bangkok.

Can I please have the thoughts of those members who travel economy and pay for their own tickets. Not necessarily Australians - I am interested in your thoughts and story.

Peter

By asking the question, you have already found the answer.

I would not go through all that hassle just for maybe saving a few $ and arrive exhausted at your destination.

Remember the trip is a big part of your holiday, and may spoil the whole experience.

Of course that's my point of view.

cheers

onzestan

Thanks people - I am fast coming to the same conclusion. Budget travel is just not worth it if the savings are so small.

Jingjoe: I've had a look at the OOL-BKK-OOL Air Asia flight costs for the next few months. Not exactly cheap - when compared with, Thai Airways. These figures include all taxes and charges.

May 2008 Air Asia $AUD860 Thai $AUD710

Jun 2008 Air Asia $AUD830 Thai $AUD904

Jul 2008 Air Asia $AUD880 Thai $AUD1,222

Aug 2008 Air Asia $AUD793 Thai $AUD904

Sep 2008 Air Asia $AUD743 Thai $AUD904

Oct 2008 Air Asia $AUD830 Thai $AUD904

Nov 2008 Air Asia $AUD793 Thai $AUD710

Dec 2008 Air Asia $AUD910 Thai $AUD1057

It's interesting that the best prices search for May and November this year, Thai Airways is cheaper.

Peter

I think this is a no brainer. Fly Thai!

No stopovers, no connecting flights, no baggage transfers on TG. Free food, free booze.

Also, the 9-hour TG flight each way will earn you about 5,000 Frequent Flyer miles, or 10,000 return. At US$0.02/mile, that is worth US$200 in Award travel for the future!

These figures include all taxes and charges.

May 2008 Air Asia $AUD860 Thai $AUD710

I've seen your $710 thai air rates, and you've forgotten to add tax, which takes it up to almost $1000.

You can get cheap seats on AA-X if you plan ahead and wait for the specials. As I said earlier, and as you know Pete, around $500 return inclusive isn't out of the question if you're patient.

Also I've posted before that I'm arriving for Songkran flying AA-X in the Biz class seats, all up including the return trip from KUL to BKK has cost me $1250 (booked it early Feb).

That price for a large comfortable seat (if that matters to you) is a bargain, and can't be matched by any other carrier be they LC or not.

Edited by jingjoe

Booking well ahead is obviously a vital component of getting a cheaper fare on an LCC.

Whenever I am looking at a Perth flight, I check out Tiger. However I find that after adding in S$25 on each leg for a decent seat (legroom), and perhaps the extra for 20kg rather than 15kg of baggage, there generally isn't much difference to a full cost carrier.

In fact, while recently pricing flights to Perth in mid June (returning early July), Tiger (after the add-ons) was actually $50 more expensive than SQ. After you factor in baggage handling, going through immigration both ways, meals, booze, seat comfort, entertainment, etc, and it is a no brainer. It was about $100 cheaper than TG.

Generally, I'll only take low-fare airlines on flights of 2-3 hours duration. Anything longer than that, which basically for me is anything back to farangland, I would take a "national" carrier...and go business class. As you flight is pretty long, I would take Singapore or Thai as the price difference isn't too great and likely have more comfortable flight.

Thanks people - I am fast coming to the same conclusion. Budget travel is just not worth it if the savings are so small.

No always true but in your example I'd use TG if those prices are correct. Besides Air Asia doesn't have a OOL-KUL-BKK route do they? They are point to point operations so you fly each sector as a separate flight and if one is delayed and you miss the other thats not the airlines problem.

For me budget travel works if you use it wisely. Otherwise the more expensive airlines may be the only alternative.

I've flown Perth - Thailand heaps of times with Thai, Singapore, QANTAS, and Tiger. Sometimes means a stop over in Singapore or Phuket, and maybe a change to Air Asia, or tiger. (onward with SQ though)

I have come to the view that I'll fly with a full fare from now on.....Singapore Airlines as 1st choice.

Singapore because - good planes, Changi International is easy, lots of connecting flights and the price isn't THAT much different (and you get a few points). Thai is OK but old planes and schedules not so good ( and they used to stop in Phuket anyway so no difference in flying times).

For flights less than a couple of hours I'm happy to use the budget airlines - any longer I need the better cabin, leg space, service and check in. And reliability.

I'd have to save at least 40-50% to go with Tiger again from PER-SIN-BKK - horror scheduling and crappy terminal in singapore.

I travel fairly regularly from Australia to Thailand. Fifteen months ago, I moved to the east coast of Australia. I either flew Thai Airways direct from Brisbane to Bangkok (depart at midnight, arrive at 6.30am - non-stop) or Singapore Airlines (depart almost midnight, 1.5 to 2 hours at Changi Airport and into Bangkok around 8.30am).

In November last year, Air Asia X arrived at Gold Coast Airport (OOL), Coolangatta. They fly the OOL-KUL-BKK route 4 times a week. I am 30 minutes away from that airport and 2 hours away from Brisbane International Airport. Logically, it's quicker and cheaper for me to travel to OOL and fly to BKK.

Tonight, having just booked and paid for my next flight to Thailand in 2 weeks' time, I am wondering if the saving is worth it.

Here's how things stack up for a return economy flight (inc all taxes) ex Australia 08 April and returning in 8 days:

The goal is to fly from Gold Coast (OOL) or Brisbane (BNE) to Bangkok.

Air Asia X: 4 times a week, 3 hour stopover in KUL LCCT, $903.

Thai Airways: Daily, direct, $1,050.

China Airlines: Not daily, via Taipei, $1,174.

Eva Air: Not daily, via Taipei, (difficult website to book online), $1,214

Singapore Airlines: Daily, 2 hour stop in Singapore, $1,245

Cathay Pacific: Daily via Hong Kong, $1,314

Malaysian Airlines: Daily via Kuala Lumpur, $1,395.

I have deliberate not included flights where I have to travel to Sydney or Melbourne before flying out of Australia. This cuts out Emirates (from Sydney) and Jetstar (from Melbourne).

Peter

You only walk 350 metres.......LOL

Ya walk a kilometre at swampypool.

KL_LCCT is really compact, I like it, spartan that it is.

I had an 8 hour stopover one trip, o/nite.

I took shuttle to KLIA and dossed down on comfy seat and ha 5 hours kip.

Cheap cafe there at bus stop too.

Grab a feed and go thru immigration early, betta place, seats etc to wait, is my normal way.

My flites from AKL, are 12hrs 45 mins, NOWAY will I go LCC, even if there was the option.

Next trip, $NZ918.00 with Thai.

Here`s my thoughts.I only fly economy I have tried Air Asia on a one way interconnecting flight and the seats and service were so bad and uncomfortable that I would rather pay more for a non-budget airline.