What Is This?

We have a concrete pond at our place and my wife pointed this thing out. It's the 2nd one in a few weeks I have seen and can't figure out if it is a cocoon or what. The first one, I thought it was a piece of Styrofoam because it was floating on the water. This one is stuck to the side. There is also a sound around the pond of some kind of frog, but not your typical 'rivet rivet', more of a chortle but loud. Don't know if there is a relationship or not. Anyone seen these before?

post-566-1206360967_thumb.jpg

Deleted your other two posts there Tywais. Connection drop? :o

Frog eggs, I believe. Not toads (which is what could be the cause of your ribbet ribbet), but some kind of brown frog.

Deleted your other two posts there Tywais. Connection drop? :D

Frog eggs, I believe. Not toads (which is what could be the cause of your ribbet ribbet), but some kind of brown frog.

Yeah, my Edge connection hung on me and, even knowing better, I hit post a few more times. :o It's the size of it and it 'sparkles' that surprised me, never seen one before. It's about 10-12 cm long, does that mean one large frog is coming out or a bunch of them. :D

We have a concrete pond at our place and my wife pointed this thing out. It's the 2nd one in a few weeks I have seen and can't figure out if it is a cocoon or what. The first one, I thought it was a piece of Styrofoam because it was floating on the water. This one is stuck to the side. There is also a sound around the pond of some kind of frog, but not your typical 'rivet rivet', more of a chortle but loud. Don't know if there is a relationship or not. Anyone seen these before?

post-566-1206360967_thumb.jpg

Are you sure your wife didn't hide some eggs for Easter ? :o

Seriously though. I was searching for: "frog nest thailand" and ran into this....looking kind of similar.

It's maybe the "Four-lined Tree Frog"

post-13995-1206363478.jpg A foam nest above a pool of water in a fallen tree.

"A common yet charming species of disturbed forests, scrubland, parks & gardens. Its repetitive monosyllabic call is an instantly recognisable sound in much of rural Southeast Asia. Most commonly encountered a few feet from the ground clinging to small stems, it may also be found in puddles on wet ground."

"Its eggs are laid next to ponds in a foamy mass glued to overhanging vegetation. Once hatched, the young tadpoles fall into the water below to start a new life."

http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http...ficial%26sa%3DG

LaoPo :D

Maybe this is a nice link to learn more about the 'Tree Frog'....?

I think that may be it. We had one hop into our front room and at least one in the plants in front of our front steps (at least we can hear it - see picture below). Some reason had visions of the movie "The Body Snatchers". :o

We had a large snake (about 1 meter long) crawl out of the pond a few weeks ago after feasting on some of our fish and was concerned that he may be populating. Frogs are fine.

post-566-1206365283_thumb.jpg

That's what I call a Golden Tree Frog, but also known as......Asian Tree Frog, Yellow Tree Frog, White-bearded Flying Frog, Golden Flying Frog, Asian Flying Frog, and the Golden Foam-nest Frog.

info

This frog's eggs hatch out into a bubble bath! The mass of froth is produced by the adults during egg laying. It helps to protect the eggs from drying out. Once the eggs have hatched, the tadpoles slide out of the nest and into the water beneath. By laying eggs on leaves, these frogs avoid the risk of eggs being eaten by predators in the water below.

I used to keep one in England, it tried to eat 30 quids worth of Day Gecko once. :o

Edited by burman