Serious Technical Issue

deejah

even if i read just one post

the thread becomes 'no unread'

that would not be so much of a problem should i read one whole page, a bit easier to track

but no matter how much or how little i read if i open the thread and read some, or a little, or most posts, or all posts, the thread becomes 'no unread'

i spend a lot of time reading many forums, threads and posts on thaivisa and if this function worked properly it would save me a lot of time finding what i did and did not read

this is extremely inconvenient

how can it be fixed?

what can I do?

thanks all for your help in advance

sometimes hitting the back button works, sometimes not :D

cccp:

do you delete cookies before or after you log on? :o

thanks

i think this feature is useless unless you are able to read all of the current posts :D

time-wise this is impossible with some if not most threads

i dont like using ff as it is always slower no matter what computer i use

thanks for the suggestions

from what i can tell this should be a 'FIX' on TV's end

i should not have to do anything to make the feature work properly

n'est pas???

I think both George and CCCP have misunderstood your query. The "unread" flag indicates that there is at least one new post in that thread since your last visit to that thread. This is perfectly normal in my experience of other forums also. You may wish it to indicate that there are unread posts in that thread but that is not its function. Hitting the back-button may well work sometimes, i.e. when there has been yet another new post.

that reminds me

another thing that irks me

if i go to page 2 or more of a board and read all of the posts

hitting the back button does not always make them read

so one has to click to go to the first page of the board then click to the page you were at to continue

a bit annoying

IE seems to be smart enough to know where on the page you were scrolled to when you hit the back key

why cant Thai visa be as smart or smarter with these issues i brought up on this thread? :o

khonwan:

thanks

i think you hit the nail on the head

you should have a job at TV :D

Guest Reimar

Thaivisa isn't the Problem!

The problem you describe isn't a problem for other members. At he same moment you open the topic, the unread flag is gone until there is a new post. This can be happens even at the time your read some of the post's in the topic and here the unread flag will shows up.

If you think that the problem has to do with the Board software, you'll need to contact the developer: Invision for to clear that problems. Thaivisa is nothing more than an Licensee and User of this Board Software.

By the way, hitting the Back Button didn't clear the Cache and brings you normally back to the last stage and that last stage was the UNREAD position! The go the right way you need to re-load the page.

Cheers.

...By the way, hitting the Back Button didn't clear the Cache and brings you normally back to the last stage and that last stage was the UNREAD position! The go the right way you need to re-load the page.

Cheers.

Sorry Reimar but you're wrong in this case. Try it. Open a thread with a red flag, then hit the back key: the red flag will have gone (unless there has been yet another new post in the few seconds or minutes it took you to complete the action).

Rgds

Khonwan

You are not supposed to hit the back key in a forum software. Click on the menu items instead.

Do not use the back button/key!

Why not?

And whilst explaining, tell me what you would do when you conduct a search rather than hit the back key after looking at the first of many matching posts? Would you really go back to the forum and enter the same search details...again and again???

BTW, I'm sure there are a great many users here, who like me, have never been made aware that there are any problems (as you indicate) with hitting the back key and who therefore do so (like me) on every forum throughout the Internet. A reason accompanying an instruction is always more acceptable.

i just did another little test

i hit the back key

red flag still there (but only sometimes)

but when i click go to first unread it takes me to the last post even though i read only the first

so

go figure

business as usual :o

thanks all for your feedback

You are not supposed to hit the back key in a forum software. Click on the menu items instead.

Do not use the back button/key!

Why not?

And whilst explaining, tell me what you would do when you conduct a search rather than hit the back key after looking at the first of many matching posts? Would you really go back to the forum and enter the same search details...again and again???

BTW, I'm sure there are a great many users here, who like me, have never been made aware that there are any problems (as you indicate) with hitting the back key and who therefore do so (like me) on every forum throughout the Internet. A reason accompanying an instruction is always more acceptable.

One reason you are having problems is that you use the back button. If you stop use it, your problem is likely to disappear.

The technical reason is that the read markers in the cookie and database, in some curcumstances, get corrupt/out of synch if you use the back button.

One reason you are having problems is that you use the back button. If you stop use it, your problem is likely to disappear.

The technical reason is that the read markers in the cookie and database, in some curcumstances, get corrupt/out of synch if you use the back button.

George, I'm not having any problems - I'm only helping the OP to understand the function (and you and others to understand his query). I Googled, following your response, and could find nothing indicating the back key should not be used in forums. But thank you for your reply (and I accept that the back key can have unpredictable results as described by you here).

Rgds

Khonwan

Guest Reimar
...By the way, hitting the Back Button didn't clear the Cache and brings you normally back to the last stage and that last stage was the UNREAD position! The go the right way you need to re-load the page.

Cheers.

Sorry Reimar but you're wrong in this case. Try it. Open a thread with a red flag, then hit the back key: the red flag will have gone (unless there has been yet another new post in the few seconds or minutes it took you to complete the action).

Rgds

Khonwan

Excuse me but on the computer where I've a plain XP install without any "tweaking" of the IE, the flag still shows unread if I push the back button. Not on the comp with FF and Opera, the the flag change to read. But that comps are "tweaked" and so can't be compare.

Cheers.