Do Thai's St St Stutter?

medicinebox

Has anybody met a stuttering Thai person?

Or is this confined only to the English speaking population. I have yet to hear a stuttering Thai.

I'm sure you wouldn't need to understand any particular foreign language before detecting a stutter.

Just that i'm really <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> <deleted> very curious......

:o Never thought about this b4, i have heard Thai people stutter but that was only when they have been speaking English, and maybe that was just coz they could not think of the next words to say, i have never heard anyone stutter when speaking Thai though, maybe that is something to do with most of the sounds comming from the throat rather than using the tongue as much to make the sounds as you do in English, im no expert though so i am probbably wrong :D

My wife stutters when speaking Thai, and seeing as I have learned most of my Thai from her I do too.

She tells me to try really hard not to do it as it is habit forming. She says she never used to stutter but for some reason started and couldn't stop.

Her friends rubbish her about it a little, but laugh at me when I do they think it is cute :o

In 15 years I've only ever heard one old guy stutter. I hear Thais quite often repeating the same first word of a sentence over and over as though they're formulating what they are going to say.

BTW, my dad and a work mate of mine both had really severe stuttering problems. They never stuttered when singing though. I think it's something to do with hearing.

BTW, my dad and a work mate of mine both had really severe stuttering problems. They never stuttered when singing though. I think it's something to do with hearing.

Was your work mate called Gareth Gates? :o

No. It was T.T.T.T.T.Tony Ru Ru Ru Ru Ru Radford. :D

What causes stuttering?

Scientists suspect a variety of causes. There is reason to believe that many forms of stuttering are genetically determined. The precise mechanisms causing stuttering are not understood.

The most common form of stuttering is thought to be developmental, that is, it is occurring in children who are in the process of developing speech and language. This relaxed type of stuttering is felt to occur when a child's speech and language abilities are unable to meet his or her verbal demands. Stuttering happens when the child searches for the correct word. Developmental stuttering is usually outgrown.

Another common form of stuttering is neurogenic. Neurogenic disorders arise from signal problems between the brain and nerves or muscles. In neurogenic stuttering, the brain is unable to coordinate adequately the different components of the speech mechanism. Neurogenic stuttering may also occur following a stroke or other type of brain injury.

Other forms of stuttering are classified as psychogenic or originating in the mind or mental activity of the brain such as thought and reasoning. Whereas at one time the major cause of stuttering was thought to be psychogenic, this type of stuttering is now known to account for only a minority of the individuals who stutter. Although individuals who stutter may develop emotional problems such as fear of meeting new people or speaking on the telephone, these problems often result from stuttering rather than causing the stuttering. Psychogenic stuttering occasionally occurs in individuals who have some types of mental illness or individuals who have experienced severe mental stress or anguish.

Scientists and clinicians have long known that stuttering may run in families and that there is a strong possibility that some forms of stuttering are, in fact, hereditary. No gene or genes for stuttering, however, have yet been found.

In 15 years I've only ever heard one old guy stutter. I hear Thais quite often repeating the same first word of a sentence over and over as though they're formulating what they are going to say.

There is an absolutely fascinating book called "The Lopsided Ape" that adresses this in some detail. Here is the amazon description.

I do not normally stutter, but every once is a while will stutter briefly. It feels (and looks on brain scans) very much like a scratched LP. There is a point where the physical mechanism is just reset from the beginning. I have a good friend who stutters all the time and he said this description was exactly right.

It is a very interesting contidion. It is strongly linked in some forms to handedness. Left handed people who are forced to use their right hands from an early age often end up stuttering.

Singing actually uses different areas of the brain than normal speech. The speech areas are extremely differentiated from one half of the brain to the other. Many forms of stuttereing are caused by unusal / improper specialization (I forget the right word >.< ) by the two halfs of the brain. One theory is that sometimes both halfs of the brain do the same thing, and they can 'fight'.

But in any case, the actual structural wiring seems to get some wires crossed somewhere.

Curiously, people who stutter are often smarter than the non-stuttering population. Sometimes remarkable so.

When we go out shopping and my Fiance asks a young assistant something all you here is Ka,Ka,Ka,Ka, :D

But it's not a stammer,Just polite poo yings :o

Ahh. Now a stammer is not a stutter is it.

e.g.1 st st st st stutter.

a stutter.

e.g.2 staaahhhaaahhhaaaahhhhmmmmmmer.

a stammer.

Would you agree there is a distinct difference?

The most common form of stuttering is thought to be developmental, that is, it is occurring in children who are in the process of developing speech and language. This relaxed type of stuttering is felt to occur when a child's speech and language abilities are unable to meet his or her verbal demands. Stuttering happens when the child searches for the correct word. Developmental stuttering is usually outgrown.

yeah my son used to stutter a lot when he was little - poor kid had his head half full of English and half full of Thai and always had so much to say for himself but had a right hard time before he could get the right words out and he stuttered in Thai as well as English...the Thais have a word for stuttering - dtit ahng - whch proves that some Thais must stutter or they wouldn't have a word for it I s'pose...

Yes, Thais do stutter. Stuttering can and does affect all races, colors, creeds etc. Whether or not a persons stutters or not is not predicated upon language.

Oddly enough most people as they are learning a second language will stutter for a short period in that second language.

Someone mentioned that their father did not stutter while singing. This is common also. Something else that has been well documented, is that stutterers stop stutering when placed in a "choral" speech environment. In other words if a stutterer is asked to read a passage from a book, and an individual reads the same passage out loud along with the stuterer... the stuterer will stop stutering.

This finding has brought forth a form of speech therapy for stuterers called "delayed auditory feedback."

There is now a delayed auditory feedback device that is extremely small, that is worn inside the ear. Much like the tiny hearing aids that can not be easily seen. The device is called the "SpeechEasy."

go to http://www.speecheasy.com/ there you will find more information about this device.

So far, one SpeechEasy has been fit on an MD in Thailand. He was pleased with the results. He was fit with the device about 3 months ago.

If you or anyone you know in Thailand stutters and you think you would like more information, or even try out the device,

PM me, and I can help you out.

P.S. Who am I? I am an audiologist, and in our training, we do learn a substantial amount of information in regards to Speech Language Pathology. I also have stong connections with the company that dispenses the SpeechEasy in Thailand. I do plan a trip to Thailand sometime soon, so if you want to meet, this could be arranged.

This finding has brought forth a form of speech therapy for stuterers called "delayed auditory feedback."

Another interesting thing about that is that if you use it all the time, you won't be able to do anything. It seems to have an effect like sitting and the exact wrong spot in between 2 speakers where you can't hear anything because the sound waves cancel each other out. Does this affect stutterers differently than non-stutterers? I would guess not, but I could see it working either way... Does the Speech Easy work all the time, or does it detect stuttering behavior and kick in?

Another interesting thing about that is that if you use it all the time, you won't be able to do anything. It seems to have an effect like sitting and the exact wrong spot in between 2 speakers where you can't hear anything because the sound waves cancel each other out. Does this affect stutterers differently than non-stutterers? I would guess not, but I could see it working either way... Does the Speech Easy work all the time, or does it detect stuttering behavior and kick in?

Sounds to me like you are trying to describe a "standing wave."

If you are asking if a person that stutters can still hear a standing wave, the answer is no.

""Does the Speech Easy work all the time, or does it detect stuttering behavior and kick in?""

The speech easy is on all the time that the person wears it. Only the stutterers voice is heard in a delayed auditory manner, and not other sounds. In other words the SpeechEasy will not affect the sound of music, other's voices etc...

The speech easy does not activate only when the person begins to stutter... it is on all the time.

Yes - like a standing wave, except, of course,m in a 3-d environment.

Of course I was making an analogy, too... the DAF seems to cancel out the (speaking) action ... - that is creates a sort of standing wave in your brain that cancels out the action in progress. ...at least thats what I learned in class.

It is interesting that it would affect stutters differently than non-stutters, but I can think of ways in which it makes sense, too... stuttering itself may have exacly that kind of effect.

""""Yes - like a standing wave, except, of course,m in a 3-d environment.

Of course I was making an analogy, too... the DAF seems to cancel out the (speaking) action ... - that is creates a sort of standing wave in your brain that cancels out the action in progress. ...at least thats what I learned in class.

It is interesting that it would affect stutters differently than non-stutters, but I can think of ways in which it makes sense, too... stuttering itself may have exacly that kind of effect."""

Truth is, we really do not know why DAF stops stuttering... We just know it does.

I think what you are trying to describe above is how DAF affects normal speakers. When normal speakers hear their own voice in a DAF fasion, they actually begin to stutter themselves.... (Rather freakish really)

Sometimes people will fake a hearing loss, for liability purposes. One of the tests that are done in order to find out is a person is fakeing a hearing loss is we play their voice in DAF mode.... If they begin to stutter, and the presentation level is lower than their claimed hearing loss.... There it is, proof that they are not being truthful.

FYI.... there was a research study done on stuttering, I think back in the 60's. A college used some orphan children for the study. As someone already pointed out, stuttering may be caused by parents trying to prevent the children from stuttering, while the child in going through their natural stuttering phase, that we all go through.

Anyhow, what the colllege did, was every time the children stuttered, during their normal phase of stuttering, an instructor would comment on their stuttering. In other words make the child aware that he/she was doing something wrong...

Long story short, every one of those children in the study stuttered for the rest of their lives..... and the colldege was sued around 30 years after that study by the participants of the study.

FYI.... there was a research study done on stuttering, I think back in the 60's. A college used some orphan children for the study. As someone already pointed out, stuttering may be caused by parents trying to prevent the children from stuttering, while the child in going through their natural stuttering phase, that we all go through.

Anyhow, what the colllege did, was every time the children stuttered, during their normal phase of stuttering, an instructor would comment on their stuttering. In other words make the child aware that he/she was doing something wrong...

Long story short, every one of those children in the study stuttered for the rest of their lives..... and the colldege was sued around 30 years after that study by the participants of the study.

hahaha ... thats progress for ya! If you are a left hander and are forced to use your right all the time it can lead to stuttering, too. it seems to have a lot to do with the division of labor between the 2 hemispheres of the brain, FYI. Fascinating really. :o

OMG!!!

when i was getting a coach from bangkok to chiang mai lol... the guy walking me from the shop to the coach had tourettes syndrome and a stutter..lol..he was shouting all over the place and had a knee that would jerk too...

i admit i was a bit panicked he was the driver...

thankfully not :D

ohhh happy days... :o