New Bridge From Chiang Khong To Laos

DonaldBattles

Does anyone have any information concerning construction of the new bridge from Chiang Khong to Laos or the roads that would lead to the bridge.

Thanks.

Don

My wife has a sister that lives in a small town called Tha Li and the bridge is near there. It is about an hours drive west of Chiang Khan. If this is the bridge you are talking about she says it is open now. To get there you would go up Isaan highway 201 towards the Cities of Loei (and Chaing Khan) but the shortest route would be to turn left or west on highway 2115 a bit north of the city of Loei (don't go all the way to Chiang Khan unless you want to visit there for some reason). Follow 2115 straight through the town of Ta Li and a few minutes further you will come to the bridge. It connects to Laos major highway number 1 on the other side.

Work to start on new bridge linking China, Laos and Thailand

CHON BURI, March 30, (TNA) -- Construction of a new Thai-Lao bridge, aimed at boosting trade and tourism among Thailand, Laos and China, was expected to start the middle of this year, a senior Thai Transport Ministry official said on Sunday.

Piyapan Champasut, deputy permanent secretary for transport, said after visiting the planned construction site of the new bridge that his ministry would give details of the construction which could start in mid 2008.

Total investment in the construction was estimated at Bt1 billion of which the Thai and Chinese governments would foot the bill equally, Mr. Piyapan said.

The new bridge – to link Thailand’s northern province of Chiang Rai with Laos’ Huayxai province – is expected to open in 2011. The bridge will serve to link northern Thailand with Kunming, the capital of China’s Yunnan province, passing through Laos.

The planned opening of the new bridge in 2011 would facilitate a second port in Chiang Saen district of Chiang Rai, due to open at around the same time, and would help boost trade between the three countries in the future, said Mr. Piyapan.

The new bridge will also assist roads now under construction, from Chiang Khong district in Chiang Rai to Luang Nam Tha in Laos and on to Kunming. The total distance of the roads is about 1,500 km. (TNA) – E111

got this email article today

dont know the source

Prime ministers open new highway to China

ANUCHA CHAROENPO

VIENTIANE : The prime ministers of China , Thailand and Laos officially opened the Route 3 (R3) Highway in Laos yesterday, the last remaining section of a highway network that runs from Singapore to Beijing .

The opening took place at the two-day Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Summit , which came to a close yesterday.

The R3 Highway will be 250km long, starting at Chiang Khong district in Thailand 's Chiang Rai province, then passing through Laos ' Huay Sai, Luang Nam Ta and Boten, before reaching Jinghong in southern China .

The total cost of the R3 in Laos is US$97 million (3.1 billion baht).

The Asian Development Bank ( AD :o, Thailand and China each contributed US$30 million to the project, with Laos contributing the remaining US$7 million. The project will turn Laos , a mostly rural country, from being landlocked into ''land-linked''.

ADB President Haruhiko Kuroda said now that the route is complete, the highway will be open year-round, and will reduce travelling time between Bangkok and Kunming in China from a three-day land journey to little more than a day.

''Revitalising this ancient trade route and stimulating new business, these Mekong neighbours will bring more jobs and greater prosperity to the region,'' said Mr Kuroda.

He said the new route is expected to enhance business, employment and the number of tourists visiting the three countries each year.

Prasert Wongmalasith, secretary to the Bangkok-based Thai-Lao Business Council, who attended the GMS's business forum, said he was delighted to see the opening of the new route.

''As a Thai businessman I believe that many more Thai businessmen will travel to do business in Laos because they can travel to the North of this country more comfortably,'' he said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej yesterday proposed that Thailand be a Mekong subregion hub for learning the English language.

The prime minister said Thailand has a number of educational institutes with English curricula that are internationally recognised.

''Now Thailand is ready to be an educational hub for the learning of English. Thai educational institutes have connections with those in the GMS and in developed countries,'' he said.

He added that Thailand had so far given 5,500 scholarships for education and training to GMS countries and it was ready to be a centre for coordinating with international organisations working in human resource development in the GMS.

He was referring to the Mekong Institute and the International Institute for Trade and Development and called on all GMS leaders to make use of the two organisations.

At the close of the GMS Summit, the six GMS prime ministers agreed on a comprehensive five-year Plan of Action that aims to spur growth, reduce poverty, promote social development and enhance environmental protection in the Mekong subregion.

''Over the past 15 years, the GMS programme has been a key element in our nations' successful efforts to reduce poverty,'' said Lao Deputy Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith.

''The new GMS Plan of Action we have adopted today will help us transform the Mekong subregion into a hub of development in Asia ,'' he added.

Does anyone have any information concerning construction of the new bridge from Chiang Khong to Laos or the roads that would lead to the bridge.

Thanks.

Don

My wife has a sister that lives in a small town called Tha Li and the bridge is near there. It is about an hours drive west of Chiang Khan. If this is the bridge you are talking about she says it is open now. To get there you would go up Isaan highway 201 towards the Cities of Loei (and Chaing Khan) but the shortest route would be to turn left or west on highway 2115 a bit north of the city of Loei (don't go all the way to Chiang Khan unless you want to visit there for some reason). Follow 2115 straight through the town of Ta Li and a few minutes further you will come to the bridge. It connects to Laos major highway number 1 on the other side.

This Is LOEI province

The bridge is supposed to be build in ampher Wiang Kaen. This information is based on report from a Thai Government website. Sorry, I do not have the link now.

Six months ago I have visited the area and the villagers of Baan Paaking confirmed that 'a survey' had taken place.

As the crow flies the bridge site is about 10 km south-east from Chiang Khong. But by road it is at present about 25 km. You follow road 1020 southwards for about 15 km, at the junction past the bridge in Baan Tha Chareon take road 1155 northwards till you hit the Mekong river. About here the bridge will be build.

Below is a link to an article on News from the Mekong, imagining our Mekong website.

http://www.newsmekong.org/at_mekong_summit...yond_the_border

At the moment it is possible to reach the Chinese border from Huai Sai (opposite Chiang Khong in Laos) in about 4 hours with a rented van.

• 2 weeks later...
The bridge is supposed to be build in ampher Wiang Kaen. This information is based on report from a Thai Government website. Sorry, I do not have the link now.

Six months ago I have visited the area and the villagers of Baan Paaking confirmed that 'a survey' had taken place.

As the crow flies the bridge site is about 10 km south-east from Chiang Khong. But by road it is at present about 25 km. You follow road 1020 southwards for about 15 km, at the junction past the bridge in Baan Tha Chareon take road 1155 northwards till you hit the Mekong river. About here the bridge will be build.

Below is a link to an article on News from the Mekong, imagining our Mekong website.

Hi,

Maybe a bit of cunfussion here. While the village of Paaking is where you report it to be, the bridge is going to be at Paaking Nua (Paaking North). Both Paaking locations where surveyed as well as a location about 10k North of Chiang Khong and Paaking Nua won out. The access road to Paaking Nua is about 4k south of town just before you get to the new gas staion that is on the East side of the main highway. We went looking for a way to get from Paaking to Paaking Nua last year, but the dirt track was not possible while on our large road bike, so we gave it a miss.

Cheers,

David and Mai

Chiang Khong

http://www.newsmekong.org/at_mekong_summit...yond_the_border

At the moment it is possible to reach the Chinese border from Huai Sai (opposite Chiang Khong in Laos) in about 4 hours with a rented van.

And can you cross the border at that point?

The border at Chiang Khong / Houei Xai has been open for years, as has the Lao - China crossing Boten - Mohan.

I used both of them for motorbike trips from Chiang Mai in 1995.

I'm aware of the CK/HX crossing but was wondering if anyone had more recent information on the Botan/Mohan one.

What do you need to know. The border's open & if you have a Chinese visa you can enter China.

I was out there in Feb this year. Take a look at The Luang Prabang Loop on the GT Rider forum, for photos of the road & border crossing in 94/95 & 2008.

Dear Don

The new bridge will indeed go from near here just South of Xhieng Khong

A new Isuzu dealership is under construction and aLotus Tesco is mooted though local traders oppose it.

Real estate around the bridgehead has rocketed and locals are asking Bangkok prices.

The link will cross to Bokeo Province (Ban Huay Zai or Huey Xai Houey Sai is the town I am looking at across the Mae Khong right now not the province)

With current recession 2556 looks an ambitious finish

As for Chinese built rd you can go to Boten then China visa from consul in C Mai 1000baht up or travel agent up the pavement from Bo's and TMB almost next to Newsagent on Paholyothin just before you turn right into Jed Yod

He merely sends em C Mai So I would rather go ther in person and not risk loss of passport

Note there is seiuous Anti French feeling in China at present

Bon voyage

pm if you want any more info

• 1 month later...

Hi do anyone know how is it is to ride with a bike from here to China? Do I need something else except my green book (the Thai book) and EU driving license ? do I need some special insurance? International driving license?

Would like to take that ride in the near future so please anyone

I'm aware of the CK/HX crossing but was wondering if anyone had more recent information on the Botan/Mohan one.

What do you need to know. The border's open & if you have a Chinese visa you can enter China.

I was out there in Feb this year. Take a look at The Luang Prabang Loop on the GT Rider forum, for photos of the road & border crossing in 94/95 & 2008.

would you have a working link for this story would very much like to read it. The whole http://www.gt-rider.com/ site seems to be done.

would you have a working link for this story would very much like to read it. The whole http://www.gt-rider.com/ site seems to be done.

Apologies for the non-working link. Had website server problems for 48 hrs. Supposed to be fixed today.

Apologies for the non-working link. Had website server problems for 48 hrs. Supposed to be fixed today.

Fixed.

19238835_PbhAX-S.jpg

Above: Crossing the Mekong without a bridge in Champasak, southern Laos.

• 7 months later...
Not a sod turned the recession may well defer the projecthe route 3 is still a windy pot holed nightmare in wet weather and even on a fast bike its 2 hrs to the super highway near Kwan Phayao

:o:D Not 100% sure what road trip your talking about - what's Phayao got to do with route 3 in Laos? BTW Chiang Mai - Houei Xai- Luang Prabang in a day by Ducati 998 has now been done. So the road is not that bad.

The planning office in Chiang Khong seem to think that a bridge is going to be built, this year, they have lots of drawings and information and road works have started for the Thai section.

Just past the planning office on the opposite side of the road, at 6km from C K centre is a sign pointing down a track to the river to say where the bridge is going to be.

The land is still cheap in the area, only some people have hoisted land prices up. Nothing like Bangkok prices. A lot of the land has no papers but the local government is giving out chanotes as deemed appropriate.

At around 6 or so km from CK, land on the Thoeng road has been zoned for industrial use. A lot of interest has been shown by out of town Thai businesses . Perhaps as a transport hub as not thought likely to do much for tourism in the area, although the Chinese are planning big hotel, golf course etc.

So who knows, the Chinese want it for getting their exports to thailand cheaply. Whether anyone can afford it now remains to be seen.