Tesco Superstore

macb

I was in Scoogies bar last night with my mates:

And talking to Ian the owner was informed that the New Tesco's on route 21 Petchabun will be opening on 13th April

Get your wallets ready for a spending spree and some good offers

And talking to Ian the owner was informed that the New Tesco's on route 21 Petchabun will be opening on 13th April

Sweet! That will beat driving all the way to P'lok. Should save about 40 minutes of driving on any future Tesco runs.

macb, Petchabun Tesco's obviously stocking up now. Last few nights many articulated trucks heading both ways on Route 21- from their main distribution centre - Northern Rangsit.

I always used to do my big shop at Saraburi, but now will save myself some 80 kms once Petch open.

i have been told by a local business woman that the new Tescos will be open for trading from the 7th to 9th April as a test run for staff then closed on the 10th with the Grand Opening on the 11th April

Edited by macb

Hey Gents,

Off topic but did you experience any severe weather last week? My partner told me that a "typhoon" (possibly she meant tornado but didn't know how to describe it) came through the central country last week and took out a bunch of homes in the Wang Pong 7 Chon Daen area. Just curious if you heard anything of what may have happened or experienced some heavy weather yourself.

Cheers,

Spee

Well firstly the information I got about being open on the 7 is wrong my apolgies: I will now send an email to Tesco and see when the opening date is for sure:

SPEE:

We have had some downpours in the are: The other week i was going over the mountains between petchabun and Wang Sapung and there was devastation in one village houses blown down roofs off and power cables down that was 2 weeks ago:

Wichinburi had a fair amount of rain as did Ban Tok one night where I am at the moment power off and village roads flooded with some superficial damage. Where does your lady live ? Might be able to tell you about her area ?

Well I had a response from my Tesco email inquiry re the Grand opening basically they said they could not release confidential information about there Grand Opening and to check there Web site about news etc.

Re: Big 'C' have not had a response from them at all, but they were very obliging last year when I asked them about the Buriram opening are well cant be successful everytime

Its official folks the new Tesco Lotus in Petchabun opened its doors at 0900 hrs this morning I have been and seen very well laid out:

Several of the stores ie pizza ktb bank still being furbished MK is under preparation and wont be long the large thai eating place is functional, I didnt get to look at the cineplex on this occasion however:

But pharmacy and opticians camera food electrical computers all open not forgetting booze section:

The opening times will be 0900 hrs to 2300 hrs

Edited by macb

Macb,- I was playing golf at Petchabun yesterday and my caddy told me that it is only open for 3 days for a trial, then they close again, sort out any problems and re-open again on 25 April.

But what do Thai lady caddies know!!!

Macb,- I was playing golf at Petchabun yesterday and my caddy told me that it is only open for 3 days for a trial, then they close again, sort out any problems and re-open again on 25 April.

Have to wait and see but it doesn't matter as we are stocked up anyway if I see it closed will make a posting here

How do you like that course on the Army base? Is it nice for just knocking a few around?

Its never going to be Pinehurst or Siam Country Club but if you want cheap golf or to generally improve your game its ok.

No problem getting on the barracks, just tell the guards 'going to play golf etc'.

Once through the security barriers, just drive a few yards and you will see the parking area on your right, plenty of spaces and under cover. There is a driving range next to the car park., 20 baht for a tray of balls. Young Thai Army soldiers keep the range in good order, Near the range there is a chipping area and putting green.

The course is a 9 hole layout with 2 x par 3's, 2 x par 5,s and the rest par 4's. There are different Tee boxes for a front or back 9., just 9 greens though. Its a fair test as there is much water and ditches/tree's on most fairways. Just keep it straight!! and you will have a good round. The greens are small and very nice putting surfaces. The bunkers could be improved, just a basic layer of sand.

There are many Thai's employed as green staff and it is kept in good condition, they are really proud of it.

There is a club house with changing facilities/showers, bring your own towel or 20 baht for hire. The club house bar is open air type and looks over the starting tee. You can have drink and order some Thai food, cans of beer have gone up in price - 30 baht now for Leo!, on my last visit it was a new barman and we thought he was trying it on, but he did say 'tranportation costs etc, everything go up more' -hmmm!!

Price - 140 baht for 9 holes, 60 baht for caddy and then of course the tip afterwards. The caddies are mostly friendly, usually army wives/daughter etc. Do not expect much, what they know about the game of golf would not fill the rear of a fag packet!. I asked one recently about raking the bunker after I had trashed it and she just looked at me as if I was barking. On my last visit ( a four ball) we played a Texas scramble format, oh the look on the caddies faces when we picked up our golf balls and played from the best drive/next shot etc.

There are lot of ex -pats who play on Tuesday and Fridays, all meet at 0930-ish. I usually get too play on Thursdays, Wednesday is Thai army sports day and its busy at the weekends, not done it just heard from others.

With Tesco and Big C open opposite the barracks we are spoilt for choice now! for eating out etc .

Edited by phutoie2