Painting The Inside Of Our Bungalow

engrin

Looking to paint the inside of our rental bungalow over the Songkran holiday.

I could do it myself but I guess it makes more sense to hire some locals to do it rather than buying all the brushes, rollers, etc.

How much should I expect to pay for the job? Should I arrange an hourly wage / daily wage?

Will I be able to go to the local paint store and find workers there?

The bungalow is about 30kms outside Korat city

Our bungalow is a 2 bedroom with a large main room.

I live close to Huairat which is close to Burriam and I have had all types of work done locally and while I am happy with most local workers I must say painting is impossible. I have had several local men trying to paint and I end up telling each of them not to come back.

Granted I could do it my self but I am just too lazy. So good luck.

It looks as if I will need painting in a few months and I am planning on trying Burriam and just paying extra for quality work.

Good luck and let ,e know your results

Just finished painting my place ....( well only about 20% of garden fence to go) and then it will be finished. Done the inside/outside/walls/gates and fence. Never was much of a "handyman" back in UK, but I'm pretty proud of the results. Lots of family and friends have all commented on how good it looks and moaned at the standard of work on their places.

If we could only get Thai painters to realise that they have to spend time preparing to do a paint job instead of just slapping one bad coat over another flaking mess the results would be much better.......... so............... just a suggestion, but how about you spending a few hours with wire brush/sandpaper/damp cloth in hand, do the prep yourself, and then get the local guys in to do what they do best (sitting down and eating whilst drinking your beer and smoking your cigs!!)

Just finished painting my place ....( well only about 20% of garden fence to go) and then it will be finished. Done the inside/outside/walls/gates and fence. Never was much of a "handyman" back in UK, but I'm pretty proud of the results. Lots of family and friends have all commented on how good it looks and moaned at the standard of work on their places.

If we could only get Thai painters to realise that they have to spend time preparing to do a paint job instead of just slapping one bad coat over another flaking mess the results would be much better.......... so............... just a suggestion, but how about you spending a few hours with wire brush/sandpaper/damp cloth in hand, do the prep yourself, and then get the local guys in to do what they do best (sitting down and eating whilst drinking your beer and smoking your cigs!!)

Hi

That sounds like good advice. I would also add, its worth YOU buying the paint otherwise you may find cheap stuff doesn't cover the walls well. I made sure to get good quality anti-fungal paint and it was well worth the increased cost. Also a short lesson on how to use 'dust' sheets/plastics covers wont go amiss IMHO.

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks for your responses.

I'm now thinking I'll do the job myself with wife / wife's family. This way I can train them first and watch what they are doing.

This being Thailand, the interior walls I plan to paint are concrete and have cracks in them. They also have brownish blackish spots I assume from moisture and aging the house has been through.

Mentioned above is anti-fungal paint, I assume that's for a indoor job like the one we are doing. Also mentioned is to look out for LEAD in the paint which I will.

I'm not a paint speciallist.

Should I be looking for a water-based indoor concrete wall paint? Is there a brand name paint that anyone can recommend? There is a large Captain Paint store (i think thats the name) not far from our place that should carry the major brands/types.

Thanks again for the replies

Thanks for your responses.

I'm now thinking I'll do the job myself with wife / wife's family. This way I can train them first and watch what they are doing.

This being Thailand, the interior walls I plan to paint are concrete and have cracks in them. They also have brownish blackish spots I assume from moisture and aging the house has been through.

Mentioned above is anti-fungal paint, I assume that's for a indoor job like the one we are doing. Also mentioned is to look out for LEAD in the paint which I will.

I'm not a paint speciallist.

Should I be looking for a water-based indoor concrete wall paint? Is there a brand name paint that anyone can recommend? There is a large Captain Paint store (i think thats the name) not far from our place that should carry the major brands/types.

Thanks again for the replies

Hi Engrin

Glad you decided to do-it-yourself.

If you want a good job don't forget to scrape off all the loose bits,fill cracks with fine filler(assuming they are small) and finally coat all surfaces with 50/50 mix of water and PVU(glue). That will seal the walls and make the paint cover better without it being absorbed by the concrete.

And have frequent liquid refreshments for all workers :o

Good Luck

Dave

I live in Korat and my neighbor just had the inside of his house painted. It is 3 bedrooms about 160 sq meters. They painted the walls in a faux finish and the cost was 17,000 baht.

Edited by Rdrokit

I live in Korat and my neighbor just had the inside of his house painted. It is 3 bedrooms about 160 sq meters. They painted the walls in a faux finish and the cost was 17,000 baht.

Was this cost for materials and labor?

Thanks.

My personal choice of paints has always been Dulux. However, I have just decorated my living room and I can now add Berger 'Delight' to my recommended paints. That particular range has different paints, same colour, that are suitable for both interior and exterior use. Very nice to use, covers well and paint fumes/smell disappears within a day. The cost in our local IQ Modern Trade is approximately 900 baht for interior and 1300 baht for the exterior paint - both come in 5 gallon (25 litre) drums although they also sell in 1 gallon drums. One gallon will cover approximately 35 to 40 sq mtrs. Some 12-14 litres was sufficient to cover my living room (6 x 4 mtrs with 3 mtr ceiling) with two coats of paint. Therefore cost for the walls for this one room approximately 500 baht. I also used approximately 5 litres for the ceiling - total cost for the room 750 baht. Based on this I would suggest that the cost for premium interior paint for an average sized, 100 sq mtr house would be in the order of 3,000 baht.

Like someone else said, it is relatively easy to find skilled tradesmen to lay bricks and concrete and build a house - not quite so easy to find someone who knows how to paint well and without making too much mess. Hence my decision to paint the house myself. That said, I would also expect that a team of painters could paint the interior of a house for less than 4,000 baht. My neighbour had her house painted inside and out a little over a week ago - total cost for labour was 6,000 baht.

Edited by Nomad97

Was this cost for materials and labor?

Thanks.

Yes, that was the total.