Which Water Pump Please?

mickba

I saw your earlier post and thought about it but with the header tank it came in at 16,000. Also, I wasn't sure how fast the pressure fell off as the volume increased. What are the settings on your controller?

I don't really need a ceramic filter because the water is drinkable as it is. My crew has been drinking it for several months. But, of course, the Thais have iron stomachs. Just putting a carbon filter on the kitchen tap might be the way to go. It would make good sense in that it wouldn't affect the pressure anywhere else and would be considerably cheaper. Thanks for that.

Hitachi & Sanyo have come out with new ranges of pumps featuring higher power, inverters & stainless steel tanks.

I went up to Home Pro yest to get a picture of the big boy from Hitachi - but they were out of stock. It comes in at 24,000 baht. Over 400 watt.

So the picture I got is the little brother. Price & wattage pictured.

post-8282-1221546960_thumb.jpg

The price really bumps up fast on those bigger models. It'd be nice to have one of those constant pressure inverter models but I don't want to go that much money. I stopped by Global today and they had a cartridge filter housing with 1/2" or 3/4" inlet and outlet but it was for a paper filter. Now if I can just find a high flow rate carbon cartridge to fit it.

If I may ask a simpler question about replacing the small pump which sucks water out of the clean klong at the back of our lot and sends it to the tank at the front of the property....seems to be burning out.

1.5 inch inlet and outlet, small unit, maybe quarter horsepower. The garden hose is 3/4 inch, maybe 30 meters in length, going to a cistern that goes 3 feet above ground level, but the well is underground. From there it is separately pumped to a rocket style filter and then to a ground level storage tank. We are two people, two story house. Other pumps are automatic, but the bad one is turned on daily for 1.5 hors to refill the cistern. Now it stops in less than an hour, with the pitch of the motor falling from a pleasant howl/rumble to a mere buzz.

I rent the place in suburban Chiang Mai from a notoriously stingy BKK landlady. If it cost no more than 1,500 baht, I will have it done myself. Is this a simple electrical and plumbing job, to replace the pump? It looks quite old but has worked well for the two+ years we have been here. Sorry to be sparse with the technical details about Grandolfo and the papal retreat center, but I cannot read the plate on the pump. Thanks.

Thanks, doctom (I thought nobody would answer). I had no idea of the price. I do not trust unknown rebuilders of engines or motors. I did get my landlady to go 50/50 on a portable sump to drain a clogged drain canal, and it is her property, after all. After being busy at a funeral this week, my partner came home and said the old pump may not be dying, after all. If it continues to falter, I'll call and bargain for her to pay half the purchase price, and I will cover the installation.

• 7 months later...

Would like any updates to this thread. 2 storey house and good shower power required, new build with a large outdoor on the ground water tank. What pump would you recommend and what psi is safe without worrying about how long my glue will last?

Also do these water pumps burn much electricity?

• 8 months later...
http://www.hitachi-th.com/Download/eng_Wp.pdf

750 watt all in 1. They don't have this pump in stock but they say they can order it. Yeah made in Japan runs the price up too.

Price.

Read the fine print...I was looking at those today in Phayao, and some of the Hitachis are made here in Thailand....not a bad thing, like something sort of made in China, but definitely not made in Japan....at least the one I was looking at. Food for thought.

I have looked at Mitsubishi and Hitachi water pumps, they appear to come as two different types one is rectangular box shaped and the other is cylindrical. Can someone describe the function of each as I'm unsure which type will fulfill my requirement.

The cylindrical ones are automatic pumps, whereas the square ones are constant pressure. The later being able to keep the pressure up when two or more taps are open, ie, toilet being flushed while one is taking a shower. The automatic ones just come on when a tap or toilet is open and runs until the water pressure shuts off from the tap being used. I would definitely look at a constant pressure pump system if you don't want interference from multiple usage. trex