Half Naked Englishman Falls Victim To Pattaya Snatch

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: March 27th 2008

HALF-NAKED ENGLISHMAN FALLS VICTIM TO PATTAYA SNATCH-AND-GRAB THIEF

A scantily clad Englishman stopped his motorbike at Soi Buakhao, Pattaya at about 1 pm, on 26th March 2008, to do some errands en route to Tony‘s Gym to drop off his girlfriend when a motorcycle sneak thief swooped on him, ripped off his 45 gram gold necklace and sped off.

Mr. Patrick Savage (39), a British citizen, hurriedly notified Pattaya Police Captain Suriya Wareewong that his gold necklace had been successfully stolen, snatched by an enterprising motorcycle thief. Mr. Patrick told police that he and his girlfriend had left his room in Cycle Court, Soi Sophon, Pattaya 3rd Road, Central Pattaya earlier.

He was without a top due to the heat, making his gold necklace ultra-conspicuous. He had stopped to do some errands in front of Kasikorn Bank, Soi Buakhao, South Pattaya, before taking his girlfriend to Tony's Gym.

Suddenly, a motorcyclist on a blue Honda Wave motorbike, wearing jeans and a grey jacket, with a full-face helmet, obscuring his face, rode up to him and snatched his 45 gram gold necklace. A Buddha image in a gold frame became detached from the necklace and subsequently fell to the ground as the robber made his getaway up the soi beside Xcite Entertainment, Central Pattaya.

Because the snatch-and-grab thief had sped away so quickly, Mr. Patrick didn't catch his number plate, however, he did attempt to give chase, but lost the thief. Despite attempts to corral the motorcycle robber by Pattaya police, the robber escaped. Although Mr. Patrick later attempted to identify the robber from police records, chances of success are extremely thin due to his face having been obscured by the crash helmet.

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: March 27th 2008

HALF-NAKED ENGLISHMAN FALLS VICTIM TO PATTAYA SNATCH-AND-GRAB THIEF

A scantily clad Englishman stopped his motorbike at Soi Buakhao, Pattaya at about 1 pm, on 26th March 2008, to do some errands en route to Tony's Gym to drop off his girlfriend when a motorcycle sneak thief swooped on him, ripped off his 45 gram gold necklace and sped off.

Mr. Patrick Savage (39), a British citizen, hurriedly notified Pattaya Police Captain Suriya Wareewong that his gold necklace had been successfully stolen, snatched by an enterprising motorcycle thief. Mr. Patrick told police that he and his girlfriend had left his room in Cycle Court, Soi Sophon, Pattaya 3rd Road, Central Pattaya earlier.

He was without a top due to the heat, making his gold necklace ultra-conspicuous. He had stopped to do some errands in front of Kasikorn Bank, Soi Buakhao, South Pattaya, before taking his girlfriend to Tony's Gym.

Suddenly, a motorcyclist on a blue Honda Wave motorbike, wearing jeans and a grey jacket, with a full-face helmet, obscuring his face, rode up to him and snatched his 45 gram gold necklace. A Buddha image in a gold frame became detached from the necklace and subsequently fell to the ground as the robber made his getaway up the soi beside Xcite Entertainment, Central Pattaya.

Because the snatch-and-grab thief had sped away so quickly, Mr. Patrick didn't catch his number plate, however, he did attempt to give chase, but lost the thief. Despite attempts to corral the motorcycle robber by Pattaya police, the robber escaped. Although Mr. Patrick later attempted to identify the robber from police records, chances of success are extremely thin due to his face having been obscured by the crash helmet.

How can anyone be so daft as to display that kind of gold? I am sorry he lost it, but he deserved it owing to ignorant behavior. 5 years ago at the stop lite at Pattaya Tai, at 5 pm, with my son riding on the back of the MB, two young guys pulled up and snatched her neckless off, while one of them said, "sorry" and sped off. She no longer displays any gold that can be snatched. Remember, many of these guys have not proceeded past 6th grade, come from a poor area, and cannot hold a job..they are broke and need 'fun' money.....many people provide that 'fun' money by displays of wealth. Many Thais only think ahead as far as their nose (for the moment) and not of any dire consequences of getting caught, which some of them do........."mai kit" will always harm you.

Hyde Parke

Maybe flashing to much wealth, a bit to much to drink, I wonder(??) :o . Be alert all. :D
Maybe flashing too much is the point here :D bit like the one piece bathing suit - leaves something to the imagination! there are two posts about thefts of jewelery from motor bike riders, saw another myself a few days ago, farang man, thai lady & small child all on a bike and nearly pulled off the bike into oncoming traffic by thai thief after farang's necklace, which he grabbed and disappeared fast. Could have been three fatalities and a theft. It all happened so fast that there would be no chance of catching him. The thief must have picked the guy out further back along the road as he never even slowed down. Common sense would tell you to leave the gold in the safe, at least then you still have it.

:o 1am no shirt

...better should have traded in his 45 g for a couple of t-shirts....

agreed - wear a T-shirt.

I think it was 1pm, but my Thai wife won't wear her gold out at either of these times. I asked when she will wear it out then and she hasn't worked that one out yet. Mind you I have a great excuse not to buy her any more - too dangerous etc...

hard to feel sympathy for such a <deleted>. Couldn't wear a shirt because of the heat? I suppose all of the other people all around him had invisible personal air conditioners making it magically less hot for them? He can't show even basic respect for local customs and then goes running off crying to the police? What a sad plonker.

Guest Bellini
45g is about 3baht?...

That's right. Roughly 1.5 troy ounces. Didn't I read the other day that the price of gold has gone over USD 1,000 per ounce? So this man hung 15 100-dollar notes around his neck, so to speak, or 45 1,000-Baht notes.

Last week, my sister-in-law had her 5 baht chain snatched at the morning market in Udon. The family had all been telling her not to wear the chain but she knew better.

Just goes to show that ignorance, stupidity and petty crime is not unique to farangs or Pattaya.

No shirt............disrespectful

3 Baht gold chain..............Just showing off

Getting robbed......................Som Nam Na

I am in no way condoning the robbery but the guy might as well have been holding a big sign that said...ROB ME !