Driving Insurance

I believe that it is not possible to have road tax without proper insurance, ie you will not be issued with road tax without purchasing insurance prior or there and then.

However i have heard of 2 incidents recently where drivers of 125cc bikes have been told after accidents that they were only covered to drive up 2 a 50cc bike.

I would assume Surrathanni has a database that would show drivers or their bikes that have no road tax and hence no insurance, information that should be passed on to police. Surely it would not be to difficult to stop all bikes etc with no number plates or suspended number plates. A nice big fine should help pay for addministration man hours required for this task.

It is my understanding that the insurance covers the bike, not the rider. If the bike has legit tags it is insured.

However if you are referring to the farang that was killed riding. His travel insurance was what limited coverage to 50cc or under.

It is my understanding that the insurance covers the bike, not the rider. If the bike has legit tags it is insured.

However if you are referring to the farang that was killed riding. His travel insurance was what limited coverage to 50cc or under.

I take your point, but surely you can not rent a bike without the rental company providing proper cover.

lol, the bike will have (should in all liklihood) have the proper 3rd party coverage, Which offers zero protection basically to the rider. So.... No do not think of yourself as 'insured' on a rental if something should happen to you.

I believe that it is not possible to have road tax without proper insurance, ie you will not be issued with road tax without purchasing insurance prior or there and then.

However i have heard of 2 incidents recently where drivers of 125cc bikes have been told after accidents that they were only covered to drive up 2 a 50cc bike.

I would assume Surrathanni has a database that would show drivers or their bikes that have no road tax and hence no insurance, information that should be passed on to police. Surely it would not be to difficult to stop all bikes etc with no number plates or suspended number plates. A nice big fine should help pay for addministration man hours required for this task.

Where do you find a bike under 50cc?

but surely you can not rent a bike without the rental company providing proper cover.

On Samui they rent out bikes without number plates, insurance and maybe stolen.

How can a tourist tell the difference and the police don't care until they are involved in accidents.

Then they want their piece of the pie.

:o

hi

spoke to an isurance guy here, he said that you can only insure a bike in its first year, insurance wont touch bikes over 1 year old because of the risk,of damage, loss etc, if you want a bike over here you must be bonkers and if you are then dont drive after 10pm as most people are pissed and some thais will purposely drive into you to get money out of you, taxis will suddenly brake and when you touch their bumper demand 10,000 baht or a beating, these things have happened to people i know which is why i drive a big car very slowly, BE WARNED,this is one area where the tourist police need to really pull their socks up

spoke to an isurance guy here, he said that you can only insure a bike in its first year, insurance wont touch bikes over 1 year old because of the risk,of damage, loss etc,

He's wrong, you can easily get proper insurance and the compulsory insurance is available for everything.

Where do you find a bike under 50cc?

Most bikes are 49cc