Show Money Needed--confirmed

Shellieman, I don't know if you are just butt-ignorant but, ever heard of netiquette? You shouldn't call anyone a liar when you don't know for sure that it is true or not. If you don't believe someone don't be an idiot and call them a liar, just shut up and remain a civilized human. Not the low-brow cretin you resemble here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shellieman, I don't know if you are just butt-ignorant but, ever heard of netiquette? You shouldn't call anyone a liar when you don't know for sure that it is true or not. If you don't believe someone don't be an idiot and call them a liar, just shut up and remain a civilized human. Not the low-brow cretin you resemble here.

I most likely have heard about Netiquette at a time you did not even know what the Internet (or the Fidonet back then) is :o And if you think that I care about your "advise" - think again. While I never said anyone was a liar, I just raised doubts. And if you think that calling me a " low-brow cretin" is a prove of having a brain, you may also reconsider this error of yours, it proves that you are not the brightest person under the sun insted :D

cheers

I went up to Mae Sai on Monday loaded with baht, and the Thai immigration person never asked to see them. Same for the person in line before me.

THere is a sign saying that it's required, but they didn't ask for it.

Now, this may have something to do with the fact that I only had one previous 30 day stamp in my (new) passport. From Don Muang. Don't know. :o

Seems to me awhile back , maybe a year or better, Mai Sai also had a sign posted that if you had more than two consecutive 30 day tourist visa stamps from walking over the border to Burma then you needed to write a letter stating your reasons for so many tourist visas and what exactly are you doing and so on. I remember the sign as I was a walker in the north for about 4 years and was never hassled once about writing this letter for consecutive 30 day tourist visa stamps. Maybe because I left the backpack and sandals at home, shaved got a haircut and looked somewhat presentable. This is a country of classes, they also have classes for farangs and it is determined by what you look like and behave. I am non-imm now so cannot comment on the new sign about showing money.

Seems to me awhile back , maybe a year or better, Mai Sai also had a sign posted that if you had more than two consecutive 30 day tourist visa stamps from walking over the border to Burma then you needed to write a letter stating your reasons for so many tourist visas and what exactly are you doing and so on. I remember the sign as I was a walker in the north for about 4 years and was never hassled once about writing this letter for consecutive 30 day tourist visa stamps. Maybe because I left the backpack and sandals at home, shaved got a haircut and looked somewhat presentable. This is a country of classes, they also have classes for farangs and it is determined by what you look like and behave. I am non-imm now so cannot comment on the new sign about showing money.

The way foreigners present themselves at checkpoints does indeed influence the way the officer views the applicant.

This has only been listed as being at land borders..

Another friend come from Penang with minibus via Sadao early morning today.

No question about "Show money" there he told me and he added that the immigration in fact was surprisingly very efficient and quick today.

:o

I went through Mae Sai today, as planned. On the way back from Myanmar, in addition to the usual official handing out the white TM forms, there were more officers standing before you get to the actual window. These guys, two of them in uniforms and monitoring the queue, asked me if I could show money. I said yes (my tour guide had already warned me that they might ask to see cash). A white paper sign on the window said you had to show money. So, I showed my bank passbook with over 40K baht, and a current ATM slip from another bank showing 180K baht, before I got to the window, to either of these officials. They said okay, and never insisted that I show CASH. I've never carried traveler's cheques in Thailand.

But the official at the window, who never said one word in any language, stamped my one-year multiple entry visa with today's date, which never happend in the prior 16 months. The tour guide thinks that means I'll have to show cash next time (but I don't plan to use Mae Sai for another 9 months or so).

Sorry if that's an inconclusive post, but that's what happened. And, as reported elsewhere, the guy inside the window scrutinized my passport, which contains two Houston visas (both of them authentic).

But the official at the window, who never said one word in any language, stamped my one-year multiple entry visa with today's date, which never happend in the prior 16 months. The tour guide thinks that means I'll have to show cash next time

They just did the same to me (stamp on the visa) in an airport, and nobody asked for money at all. So this might have a different reason.