Tour Bus accident near Doi Suthep

cmsally

A friend from BKK called me and told me they had heard about a bus crash on the road to Doi Suthep.

Coincidentally I was at the flower market and heard many, many ambulances/police cars on the highway.

Anyone know if this is true?

They told me that a bus had come off the road and fallen about 50m

I live in the last big apt bldg on Huay Kaew Rd, about 2 km from the base of the mountain.

I counted at least 15 ambulances, full lights and sirens, from various hospitals headed up the mountain around 4:30 PM this afternoon.

Also police vehicles, and observed police motorcycle mobile units set up to do traffic control.

I pretty much assumed that exactly what was posted above had happened- that there was a mishap with a tour bus.

Right around that time, there were very high winds; I would guesstimate at least 30-40 knots. Have no idea if that had any bearing on the accident.

Sorry to hear about it, hope everyone involved has been treated properly and will be OK.

Thanks for the link. Confirms what my maid just told me, that it happened on the tightest bend on the mountain near the top. Braked late, locked the wheels and went over the edge. I trust all the others get over the incident.

March 30, 2008 19:57 PM

17 Malaysian Tourists Injured In Accident In Chiang Mai

By D. Arul Rajoo

BANGKOK, March 30 (Bernama) -- Nineteen Malaysian tourists narrowly escaped death when their tour bus skidded and plunged into a ravine in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai Sunday, killing a Thai bus driver.

In the crash, 17 of the tourists -- all from Seremban -- sustained cuts and bruises while the remaining tourists, a Thai tour guide and an assistant, escaped unhurt.

The accident occurred about 4pm local time.

A police spokesman said the injured were sent to a nearby hospital for observation.

One of the tourists, Lim Ting Sheng said they arrived in Chiang Mai about noon, via a direct flight from Kuala Lumpur.

The itinerary of the tourists comprised a four-day visit to Chiang Mai and another northern city of Chiang Rai.

Lim, 22, said the mishap occurred when the bus they were travelling in was returning from Doi Suthep, a hillside area located about 15km from Chiang Mai, and which is popular for its Buddhist temple, Wat Prathat.

"The bus was speeding when it happened. I could not see much as I was seated in the rear... we were really frightened.

"Suddenly, the bus driver could not control the vehicle, causing it to plunge into a ravine," he said when contacted at the hospital.

Lim said while the passengers escaped without any major injuries, the driver died on the spot.

The tourists are expected to return to their hotel later Sunday night as they only suffered minor injuries.

He said the group which comprised family members and friends, including two children and two senior citizens, was scheduled to travel to Chiang Rai at the Thailand-Laos-Myanmar border Monday for sight-seeing and return to Malaysia on Wednesday.

"But now, we are not so sure whether to continue with our holiday or return home. We are waiting for the others to be treated before deciding what to do next," he added.

--BERNAMA

They all very lucky to had survived that crash I have been there many times always got the driver to drive slowly but most of the busdrivers are going to fast for that road that was a accident waiting to happen :o

I was there late afternoon Monday and they had craned the bus up to the road. The front of the bus nailed an 2+ meter wide tree halfway down the hill and then bounced and continued down the slope.

The road is so steep right there then I think its possible the brake system might not have been managed or maintained properly. A big truck or bus can heat up their brakes to the point they stop working. When bicycling up that section I noticed the large tour bus's will be engine braking in low low gear on that grade and maybe 10 kph. It could have been a gear box issue or simply not being in the proper gear.

That is quite a road to expect huge trucks to not lose brakes or control once in a while.

Well, yes. But don't forget there was a little rain that day, after a long period of no rain. (Rain would have started on the mountain a bit before it hit the town). The combination of dust/fine sand/dirt and a little rain creates a REALLY slippery surface. You have to be really aware of that, it always happens with the first rain after a long dry spell. Very possible that the bus caught some of that.

Also, as this is pretty much the first corner after the parking area, I think you can safely discount any claims of "the bus was speeding".. Obviously it was going too fast for the particular turn, descent and road surface, but if you say "the bus was speeding" then this needs to go on for some time to establish that. So: Rubbish.

Edited by Jefferson

Well, yes. But don't forget there was a little rain that day, after a long period of no rain. (Rain would have started on the mountain a bit before it hit the town). The combination of dust/fine sand/dirt and a little rain creates a REALLY slippery surface. You have to be really aware of that, it always happens with the first rain after a long dry spell. Very possible that the bus caught some of that.

Also, as this is pretty much the first corner after the parking area, I think you can safely discount any claims of "the bus was speeding".. Obviously it was going too fast for the particular turn, descent and road surface, but if you say "the bus was speeding" then this needs to go on for some time to establish that. So: Rubbish.

Trying to make some sort of excuse for the driver is a waste of time.

The driver was Thai, he was a bus driver (therefore theoretically a professional driver) he should have known what the effects of a bit of rain would be after a prolonged dry spell.

It does not matter if he was doing 5 km/h, he was going too fast for the conditions prevailing at the time (if not he would not have lost it and gone off the road)

The only good thing to come out of it was that he died and not one of the innocent passengers in the bus.

It's been a while but I have had my share of long haul bus journeys in the realm, trips to the big mango in mini buses, tours to to the wops in song taews and the common denominator is that the majority of these guys are absolute maniacs.

They are accidents waiting to happen.

The bottom line is he was going too fast. Whether that was "speeding" or not is immaterial, he was going too fast (or he couldn't drive for shyt) If not he would be alive today.