Carrefour

jm49er1

I need to preface this comment that i have never been impressed with Carrefour and it seems like their pricing is higher on most products that i find at either Lotus or at Big C. So consequently we don't shop there often. Today however we found ourselves picking up a few items . We spotted a double pack of Yonex batminton racquets on sale from 675 baht down to 599 baht. I wanted to buy racquets for the wifes family in Udon Thani when we visit next month so put them in the basket. When we checked out the scanned price was 675 baht which we questioned. They took them off of the bill while someone went back to check. I mentioned to my thai wife that in America most markets give you the item free if the scanned price does not agree with the shelf price. I also fully expected that when the recheck was done i would be told 675 baht which i had already decided would be ok. I was shocked however when the answer came back and the register girl handed me the racquets and said "free" as we were correct about the error. Amazing Thailand!!!

You sure you weren't dreaming.I can't remember Carrefoure ever giving any concession even a part off when priced wrong. Usually they say it was in the wrong bin.

was not dreaming - we were floored and walked away grinning - certainly never expected and i did not want to tempt fate by asking them what their policy was

OK. Another one today at Starbucks. I gave the cashier 100 baht and she gave me 900 baht change.

I said "No. I only gave you 100 baht not 1000 baht. You've given me too much change."

She says "It was definately a 1000 baht note. I have it here, see."

I check my wallet then say. "No, I had 1400 baht, I'm sure, and I still have 1300 baht in my wallet."

Manager comes over and says. "It's ok sir, you gave her 1000 baht."

I say. "Can you check your till because I know that I gave you 100 baht only. I remember the colour."

He briefly checks and says. "No sir, you gave us 1000 baht."

I say. "I don't think so, here take the 900 baht back."

They say "No. It's your change, you take it."

I say. "Ok. Thank you. Bye."

I go. But I'm sure, I'm certain that I gave her 100 baht only... :o

I'll be buying a lottery ticket on my way home.

Edited by jasreeve17

I can't remember Carrefoure ever giving any concession even a part off when priced wrong. Usually they say it was in the wrong bin.

The standard policy of Carrefour in France & Europe is to refund twice the error. I do not no for Thailand. Should be :

If you see an item at 599 bahts in the shop and at 675 on the tickets, they would refund 2x(675-599) = 152 bahts.

Some month ago I went to Carrefoure and bought, together with some other products, one of there very good french breads. I packed it by myself and went to pay. As there was no barecode on, the cashier called for somebody to go and put one one, but no help arrived. After some minutes a Supervisor arrived and told me, take it, it's free. Beside it was my mistake, I didn't complane. Customer Service at it's best IMHO.

Look at the buttons the cashiers and customer service people wear, it says if price at register is wrong it is free. I thought this was a great policy but only realized it when I went through the register with a case of large Leo's that were on sale at B29 ea.. Register charged me B33, I paid but complained and service girl came on roller skates and took me and my purchase to head cashier. At that point I saw their button saying "if price is wrong then it is free". The head cashier gave me a full refund on the case of beer and I was smiling, thinking that I needed to spread the word about this policy.

Then the service girl took me back through line, opened the case of beer, rang up 12 bottles 1 at a time. They rang up on register at B29 so I had to pay again 12 times B29. I complained and asked for manager. A young girl came out and said she was manager (acting as real manager had gone home) I explained to her, her reply was yes sir case price is more than single bottle price. I told her that that was hogwash no body would by by the case at a higher price, just there computer needed to be reprogrammed. I got nowhere, they she took me to the customer service manager who verified her version and I was not entitled to a free case of beer.

Next day I went to main office to confer with Mr. Richard who is the store general manager. He was too not in. Went back next day put through to assistant but could only talk to him on in house phone and her would not come out to look at my documentations. He was too busy. I gave up in discuss as I has already spent over 2 hours fighting for <500 baht.

Yes it is a good policy and they should have honored it, a good friend who worked for them for 7 years told me the girls error and they should have just given it to me for free and they would be reprimanded if Mr. Richard found out.

I have had free from Carrefour even when the item didn't have a price on and they couldn't be bothered or whatever and just put it in the bag.

As for overal pricing, the most expensive is Tesco by a mile. Loads of everyday things there are seriously more expensive than Carrefour, BigC or Foodland.

Surprisingly enough, there are some bargains to be had in that mega price place the Villa Market. Forzen catering packs of bacon spring to mind though they do seem to be a little heavy on the added water content ! Their duck is also very good and fair priced for the quality. Some of their other things like beans at Bt155 a can are just taking the piss.

As for cases being more expensive than the individual bottles x 24 then that is common. Unbelievable but common. Coke in cans is often like that as well. Many times the best buy is a 6 pack not 24. Baby food changes price by the hour it seems but not all sizes by the same amount. Often the smaller sizes are better value. Daft but true.

Have yet to find a Thai in a shop (outside whisky shops) who can grasp the concept that the more you buy the cheaper it should be. Not difficult but unfortunately beyond them. Some have even tried to make an argument that it was because of the box or that I was lucky I could buy a box. TIT.

I need to preface this comment that i have never been impressed with Carrefour and it seems like their pricing is higher on most products that i find at either Lotus or at Big C. So consequently we don't shop there often. Today however we found ourselves picking up a few items . We spotted a double pack of Yonex batminton racquets on sale from 675 baht down to 599 baht. I wanted to buy racquets for the wifes family in Udon Thani when we visit next month so put them in the basket. When we checked out the scanned price was 675 baht which we questioned. They took them off of the bill while someone went back to check. I mentioned to my thai wife that in America most markets give you the item free if the scanned price does not agree with the shelf price. I also fully expected that when the recheck was done i would be told 675 baht which i had already decided would be ok. I was shocked however when the answer came back and the register girl handed me the racquets and said "free" as we were correct about the error. Amazing Thailand!!!

i have had similar good fortune twice in Carrefour

two weeks ago i was cashing out and watching the price display as it rose as the girl checked out.

when it reached 2866 it stopped adding on the new items.

the girl kept going but the price didn't, i kept quiet and paid.

i had at least 3000 bahts worth of goods for free.

i wish i had bought a case of champagne!

another time i had a chrome shower head and pipe set in the shopping, it was a reduced price item from 795 to 565 and was labelled as such.

the girl struggled with the labelling and could not enter the bar code either manually or by reading it so in frustration she just gave it to my missis and said 'free' . i said nothing paid the bill, nothing was on the check out receipt relating to it so it was free after all.

how did they ever grow to be such a big retailer?

Carrefour is the only store in Thailand that gives you the item free if it is scanned wrong. That's part of their customer satisfaction program for Thailand. The OP is correct. In the states at least in California the item is given free if scanned wrong.

Barry

Carrefour is the only store in Thailand that gives you the item free if it is scanned wrong. That's part of their customer satisfaction program for Thailand. The OP is correct. In the states at least in California the item is given free if scanned wrong.

Barry

French way of life and business !! c'est la vie

Ever seen the notices in Carrefour restricting the amount of beer you can buy.

On the single bottles shelf it says something to the effect of "Cannot buy more than 5 items per family"

BUT you can buy a six pack, and the 6 pack shelf has the same notice.

AND so do the cases of 12 / 24 shelves.

So, you CANNOT buy more than 5 single bottles but you CAN buy 120 bottles if you buy cases!!

Amazing Thailand indeed.

• 1 month later...

Barry

I been to carrefour today and saw an item which was priced at 130 baht.I thought it was not expensive so I took 2 pieces.However when I came at the counter they charged me only 110 baht for each item.Should I have complained and would I get the item for free if I had?