Thai Sales Techniques

Super Hans

Personally, I find Thailand a difficult country to spend my money in. No, really. I have a policy of not spending my baht anywhere where I'm pestered, pressurised or cajoled into a transaction, even when it's a bargain and to my detriment. This means I spend 99% of my time looking for the 1% of shops, restaurants etc that leave me to browse in peace. I can't stand the "wellllcome" refrain. I can't stand the "hello sir, how are you" bull. I get fed up with waitresses leaping on you as soon as you even slow to catch a glimpse of a menu. I tire of having a shop assistant hovering on my shoulder as I peruse the goods or waitresses that wait expectantly while I try to find something to eat.

Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace? Or maybe people actually like this level of service and it's an effective strategy?

Edited by Super Hans

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I hate the hovering when you shop. It makes me want to leave and shop somewhere else.

On the other hand, I took my Thai missus to Hong Kong and she was irritated by the aggression and doggedness of the sales people that would constantly try to get her to buy more, more, more.

Personally, I find Thailand a difficult country to spend my money in. No, really. I have a policy of not spending my baht anywhere where I'm pestered, pressurised or cajoled into a transaction, even when it's a bargain and to my detriment. This means I spend 99% of my time looking for the 1% of shops, restaurants etc that leave me to browse in peace. I can't stand the "wellllcome" refrain. I can't stand the "hello sir, how are you" bull. I get fed up with waitresses leaping on you as soon as you even slow to catch a glimpse of a menu. I tire of having a shop assistant hovering on my shoulder as I peruse the goods or waitresses that wait expectantly while I try to find something to eat.

Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace? Or maybe people actually like this level of service and it's an effective strategy?

i am same as you, there are a lot of shops where i would like to go into and browse, but i know the look they give you as your about to enter so i dont bother, i think they would sell a lot more stuff if they didnt keep hassling you

Glad I’m not the only one that hates this.

In Singapore they do exactly the same, even in supermarkets they just come up and start harassing me as I’m browsing. My solution is to reply to them in French which normally makes them give up.

However in Phuket they don’t care that they can’t speak a word of any language and just stand there staring. I could speak to them in Zulu and it wouldn’t put them off. One technique I use is to lure the shop assistant to another corner of the shop then use some nifty foot-work I learnt in rugby union to wrong foot him before making a dash to the section I want to browse.

It's not so bad once ya get used too it. When I first got here I thought they were following me because they thought I was gonna steal something, as is often the case with simmilar stores in the States. Now I just ignore them and let them stand there and look stupid while I take my time and brouse at my leaisure. Un innitated conversation I just drown out and speak only when I have something to say. Same goes for waitresses, just let them stand there, they are there to serve you not the other way around.

Might want to rethink the things that upset you in life, you'll probably have a better time of it all. :o

waitresses that wait expectantly while I try to find something to eat.

Waitresses generally wait expectantly for customers to order food. They're not trying to ruin your day, they are trying to help you eat. I think it's part of the job description. :o

I completely agree with the original post, it annoys me too. With a waitress I usually just tell her I need a minute and she'll get the hint. In stores I just tell them I don't need anything. If it comes to it I'll tell them to go away.

They're bothersome, but they're just trying to help. And people generally want to think that they're actually useful and that their job isn't totally useless, so I try to be polite unless they're super annoying. It's seriously gotta be boring standing in an aisle in Big C trying to sell irons or microwaves all day. And some Thai people do actually make use of them. I was at Tesco a few months ago with a girl buying a new fan, she made the clerk take her fan out of the box, assemble it, plug it to make sure it works, and then take it apart and put it back in the box.

This is a constant chore for me also. I hate it when they linger. Its not just the fact that they linger, its the way in which they linger.

Think about it. A store in the UK for example will have the same 'followers' clacking at your heels.... but they do so in a more discreet manner. They may pretend to tidy up the area in which you are browsing, or 'adjust' something in the area what doesnt really need adjusting. They do so in a manner that makes you feel less 'watched'. The Thais however just stand there. Looking at you. Gorping at you. With a totaly bored expresion, arms folded.

And what is it when they pick up a T shirt, 3 sizes too small for you, shove it in your face and say 'you like this' when you have been looking at <deleted> shoes!!!!!!

I was in the Paul Smith shop in BKK last weekend and developed a stratagey that may work for me again.. Iritating Thai chick stands three feet from me, looking at me while i browse, arms folded. I was about to walk out, as i usualy do, but i really wanted to fish around for something cool, so i had an idea. I randomly picked up 4 shirts, 2 pairs of shoes and a jacket and said 'please can i try these in xl and size 10'. While she was hunting around the stock room, i browsed uninterupted for 10 minutes, picked up a shirt, tried it on, and paid just as she was walking out of the stock room.

Agreed, it's annoying. When this happens, usually in electrical departments, I just cross my arms and look at them until they go away. Either that or I ask them if I can help them.

This whole thread makes me wonder how you people actually survive in Asia without having a stroke or heart attack from exasperation. This is not the western world, learn to live with it. :o

Oh, and it is standard practice to open the box and plug in any electrical item bought to make sure it works. This is due to until recently (and still not is some stores) there was no return policy, even if an item did not work. Buyer be beware. :D

TH

Interesting that they will be following you everywhere in the shop and getting on your nerves, but when you actually need help they will not have a slightest idea about the product. But the following thing I think is related to the fact that Asian customers actually like to be followed by the shop assistant, because then they feel like little emperors. :o

it can be annoying in the extreme, but i suspect that you are being particularly obtuse. I have told plenty of sales people i will call them when i need them. it really is that simple.

quit making a big deal out odf nothing, you would be complining if you went into a store and couldn't find anyone -- at least 2 on this thread already have.

Edited by t.s

Shop at Home pro, you will love it. Absolutley, nobody will bother(help)..... you even if you ask.

How do they stay in business I wonder?

My experience with Home Pro in Khon kaen is the opposite. It seems that sales people and floor walkers outnumber shoppers somewhat and I get stalked while browsing, it puts me off and stops me actually making as many purchases as i intended to make. There is something uncomfortable about taking a sideways glance and there are three floor walkers just looking at you silently.

Its the same in my home town in Perth though, as soon as an attendent wants to help me I just cant be bothered. I want to browse and make up my own mind..pay for the goods and go.

This whole thread makes me wonder how you people actually survive in Asia without having a stroke or heart attack from exasperation. This is not the western world, learn to live with it.

I completely agree...I mean, talk about having petty complaints. I guess it's just that most of these people got so used to no service staff in stores (as well as gas stations, restaurants, cafes, etc.) back home and they can't get used to the idea of businesses actually employing service staff to SERVE their customers! I mean, what an original idea :D Make you wonder why some people choose to live in Thailand/Asia if this stuff bothers them...talk about no cultural understanding.

I guess it was the best day of their Thai existence when Starbucks came to town and they were allowed to pay the most expensive price in town for lousy coffee beverages AND had the privilege of busing their own dirty tables and self-serving it to themselves :o For me, I prefer my local Thai coffee cafe that does a fine latte for B 35 (and about 2x size of Starbucks to boot) AND they bring it to my table with a glass of water (in a glass...not self-serve water I pour for myself into a paper cup) and a couple small cookies. Oh, and they also have a buy 9 and the 10th is free card (that doesn't expire in 30 days)!

All the "hovering" doesn't bother me in the least...I just consider it good and (trying) to be helpful service. Of course, some of the following around in stores is to prevent shoplifting (but I'm sure if you were financially responsible for any losses in your department you would keep a good eye on the customers too). In department stores, I also like the fact that I can get most basic alterations done on the spot...and an ironing for free too. I also don't even have to move to pay...just hand off the goods I want to the clerk with the money and in a few minutes it comes back all bagged and with my change. What's not to like.

All you complainers... Get a life!

Edited by jonniebkk

WE all have choices and we all have tolerance levels with this stalking.I leave the shop,no heart attacks,no problems,just walk.Before that though i have a few games of hide and seek,my gf pisses herself,seeing these young thai lads not knowing wht to do when i walk up and down the alleys.Maybe i will get her to video it and put on here,so funny.far from being upset its a great way to have fun and waste an hour,and even better when the place has a bedroom,kitchen compartments,you can hide better.

pmsl.

Must be a niche in the market place to open a marketing skills/selling skills company and actualy train these unskilled workers.

Interesting that they will be following you everywhere in the shop and getting on your nerves, but when you actually need help they will not have a slightest idea about the product. But the following thing I think is related to the fact that Asian customers actually like to be followed by the shop assistant, because then they feel like little emperors. :o

Agreed on the issue that they don't know anything about the products that they are selling. I recently bought a new microwave, was pestered to death by the store assistants and when I actually found one I liked the look of and asked if I could try it for usability, it took them 10 minutes to get it set up and then not one of three of them had a clue how to use it. I asked for a cup of water and the instruction book and had it going in under a minute.

I disagree that Asian customers like to be followed. Hi-so types who need their ego fuelling maybe but most regular middle class Thais that I know are equally annoyed by persistent sales assistants.

The most annoying thing for me is when they shadow step you, i.e. you're looking at something on an aisle and take a step to your left or right to look at what's further along and they take the exact same step so as to maintain the space between you and them.

The other irritating thing is when they offer you entirely pointless information about a product, like you're looking at a shirt and they'll save something ridiculous like "it's got sleeves y'know" (in Thai obviously).

I try to keep my cool and be polite with them (but don't always manage it!) because there was one occasion when the missus and I were shopping for shoes and we told the assistant not to follow us and we'd give her a shout if we needed help and she told us her boss insisted that she follow customers and she'd lose her job if she didn't.

If not irritated, the simple way to get these salesperson and waitress out of your sight is keep on asking questions, :o this is the polite way to deal with them until they completely loss their patience. :D

Thai sales personal are not well train in products knowledge and what they learned is harassment technique. :D Poor guy need to hit sales target. :D

Shop at Home pro, you will love it. Absolutley, nobody will bother(help)..... you even if you ask.

How do they stay in business I wonder?

That's why it's called a DIY shop. :o

Funnily enough, DIY shops in the UK are exactlty the same.

I remember 2 instances of sales staff in pattaya,which made me nearly fall on the floor laughing.

1/ I picked up some shorts that i liked but the size was far too small for me even though i am only 36 waist.the girl picked them up,stretched them as far as possoble and said,they fit now.i nearly wet myself and she didnt know what i was laughing for.

2/ My gf was buying some shoes and the ones she liked,were 3 sizes too big,the lady put some packing in the end and said they were ok now,because she couldnt find a pair to fit here and was going to lose the sale..

How can these people be in business.

Addendum [as my edit has timed-out]:

Was in Robinsons a few weeks ago and spied some shoes on sale. Nothing fancy...just some cheapie loafers (B 1200). The shoes I had on were rather scruffy and very dusty. When I had them off to try on the new shoes, another salesman comes around with a damp cloth and proceeds to clean my grimy ones. How's that for service...I guess that would drive all you guys nuts too :o

Addendum [as my edit has timed-out]:

Was in Robinsons a few weeks ago and spied some shoes on sale. Nothing fancy...just some cheapie loafers (B 1200). The shoes I had on were rather scruffy and very dusty. When I had them off to try on the new shoes, another salesman comes around with a damp cloth and proceeds to clean my grimy ones. How's that for service...I guess that would drive all you guys nuts too :o

didn't you notice - they'd just put in new carpeting..... :D