Thai Sales Techniques

Super Hans

Waiting staff by the table simply need to be given an 'order' to go and get your drinks while you look at the menu, it keeps them busy and allows you choosing time. Not difficult I would have thought.

Shop staff vary with the quaility of their management. HomePro or HomeWorks (can't remember which it is) is great, almost all floor staff will say hello as I walk past, offer to help if you stay in one place long enough to indicate that you are interested in something or a bit lost. Best encounter I had was when I had picked up a few more items on impluse than i could carry, just as I looked for a basket one was handed to me with a smile - great customer service.

Big C & Tesco - large electricals have the pouncing staff that hoover and follow waiting for that big farang sale. I had my OH translate to one "..if he utters one more word I will leave the trolley of food and go home..", when I have more time (OH doing the shopping and me bored with the DVDs on sale) I will pretend to look at a TV/HiFi etc. then when I have been targeted by the sales staff I will start following them, pretending to look at something if they make eye contact. they haven't called the police on me yet - maybe I need to try harder.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shop at Home pro, you will love it. Absolutley, nobody will bother(help)..... you even if you ask.

How do they stay in business I wonder?

Couldn't resist a reply. P T G has 'hit the nail on the head' . I occasionally go to Home Pro and am constantly amazed at the huge numbers off staff in the store versus the customers. Must be 5 to 1. All busy stacking, pricing, dusting, sorting, but as for customer service and assistance............................. :o

Trying to get someone to understand what you want is a task in itself. Finding someone who speaks English is like finding The Grail. :D

on the other side of the coin:

try to find anyone at all to help u even in a fox or castro store here; all the salesgirls are chatting on their cells or helping the one cute boy customer... and then they all claim u are beautiful in the day glo green too tight fitting (wrong size) shirt that has a small hole in it also (its not a problem sweety it wont get bigger)...

and when thai husband does shopping for the electrical gadgets he wants, he drives these 'hanging around the coffee machine in the back room' sales people nuts: he wants them to open the thing, and try it out. (its a no no here. not done. and the salespeople hate doing it. they'd rather not sell u the item. and they get angry and raise their voices. which thai husband hates even more.). and in the diy shops it drives him mad that we have to wait for a 'sales person' to come and help us locate some wierd screw we cant find. he has no patience and wont wait. he doesnt understand why they dont accompany us as we search for things, to get them for us. thats the opposite side of the coin.

and also, anon claims that for shopping, thai people dont like 'browsers'. if u are shopping u are there to buy something, not just look. so when i browse and ask the 'hanging out' sales girls for different colours and sizes to try, he thinks i am being impolite. ha!.

but he is bannork (his excuse) and doesnt know the buying habits of bangkok thai. he says that not me.

and in the middle east anyway the shop people follow u (in the markets that is) and already wrap the thing u were maybe considering to buy, on the basis that u will be intimidated into buying it. NOT.

so just put yourself on ignore. better someone that can service your desires (the magenta shirt high up on the display wall, that isnt down here on the rack, i want THAT one, not any other, only if it is in my size..) then searching in all corners for a salesperson to get the same shirt from up above out of reach in the only colour in your size.

bina

israel

Oh, and it is standard practice to open the box and plug in any electrical item bought to make sure it works.

Yes, I bought half a dozen low energy bulbs in a local hardware shop and the assistant took each out of its box and tried it before I could have them.

This is one of my absolute pet hates when visiting Thailand!

That said my main gripe is in the large shops. Tesco, Big C, HomePro etc.

I have shopped all over asia and never been annoyed or bugged in the way that they do in these shops. Sure some countries are fars more pushy in getting you buy more i.e. Hong Kong or Singapore - however this just pales in comparison to the total obtuse annoyance that the Thai sales staff in these store cause.

HomePro in Udon is a prime example as said there is often more staff than shoppers and then to top it all if you do ask them a question they are completely clueless! Or more often in Homepro the don't have it in stock but that's another discussion!

A couple of stories - Homepro buying a Hoover this guy who wouldn't leave us alone decided that the only possible thing we should buy is some little crappy Samsung thing. Giving it the full demo the lots - basically telling us that all the rest are crap in compare to it. He was standing there trying to tell me that this POS Samsung thing was bagless . . . so I open the top of it and pointed out the bag. :o

Next Big C. On a bit of an impulse shopping buy we were about to buy a pair of speakers with integrate radio - only a few thousand baht but that what we wanted. The 'sales' person who had glued himself to us since we walked into the electronics departments vicinity was then told we want a pair of these. Simple you would think! But no, he then started to tell us they had these others on 'offer', he was told no we want them, he then go the brochure of these ones on offer! He was given another chance and was told one more time - no we want these. He just continued to go on about the ones on offer! At this point we gave up and walked off leaving him to dwell on his missed sale.

In big shops they have a lot to learn in this side of things! Smaller shops in Thailand I find a lot better but they still are as helpful as the shops here.

it can be annoying in the extreme, but i suspect that you are being particularly obtuse. I have told plenty of sales people i will call them when i need them. it really is that simple.

quit making a big deal out odf nothing, you would be complining if you went into a store and couldn't find anyone -- at least 2 on this thread already have.

The thread was designed to see whether the service offered in Thailand was effective in extracting our bahtage or not. Clearly the majority think it's not an effective strategy.

All the "hovering" doesn't bother me in the least...I just consider it good and (trying) to be helpful service. Of course, some of the following around in stores is to prevent shoplifting (but I'm sure if you were financially responsible for any losses in your department you would keep a good eye on the customers too). In department stores, I also like the fact that I can get most basic alterations done on the spot...and an ironing for free too. I also don't even have to move to pay...just hand off the goods I want to the clerk with the money and in a few minutes it comes back all bagged and with my change. What's not to like.

All you complainers... Get a life!

Sounds like you want a servant - I just want "good" service. I also want businesses in Thailand to maximise their revenues - I don't think they do, in no small part due to their approach to how they view the needs of their customers.

Must be a niche in the market place to open a marketing skills/selling skills company and actualy train these unskilled workers.

I've thought about this as a business idea as well. There are loads of areas where a little training would pay big dividends for businesses willing to invest. I have a few ideas and will look into consultancy should I come back to asia fulltime.

The most annoying thing for me is when they shadow step you, i.e. you're looking at something on an aisle and take a step to your left or right to look at what's further along and they take the exact same step so as to maintain the space between you and them.

I try to keep my cool and be polite with them (but don't always manage it!) because there was one occasion when the missus and I were shopping for shoes and we told the assistant not to follow us and we'd give her a shout if we needed help and she told us her boss insisted that she follow customers and she'd lose her job if she didn't.

I suspected as much. Part of my motivation for raising this as a topic came when I was sat in a restaurant in krabi, watching how the staff reacted to potential customers reading the menus outside. About 10 customers looked at the menu during the 30 mins or so i was there - 5 looked when the staff were busy serving and 5 when they weren't. There was a 100% correlation between those that browsed in peace (they entered) and those that were leaped upon as soon as they arrived (they ran for their lives). What made this observation interesting was it was an italian owned place and the italian owner was shouting at his non serving staff to go and serve the browsers immediately, which surprised me. Clearly they see immediate service and awkward hovering as being productive to their business, whereas I saw it as the opposite. I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to explain to service staff that their willingness to help actually drives people away. What do you do when someone chases you? You run away. It's a natural instinct.

The shadow stepping game can be quite amusing. When moving along a wall, looking at shoes or something, shuffle 2 yards to your left. The shop assistant will match you. Repeat. Pretend to move 2 yards to your left again but actually go to your right. Time it right and the assistant will almost collapse in trying to change direction so quickly.

Addendum [as my edit has timed-out]:

Was in Robinsons a few weeks ago and spied some shoes on sale. Nothing fancy...just some cheapie loafers (B 1200). The shoes I had on were rather scruffy and very dusty. When I had them off to try on the new shoes, another salesman comes around with a damp cloth and proceeds to clean my grimy ones. How's that for service...I guess that would drive all you guys nuts too :o

That level of "service" makes me embarrassed - I don't want a slave. I presume you like it when you're enjoying a much needed piss in a club and some git starts massaging your neck? Is there anything less conducive to a decent bladder emptying than some bloke throttling you? I just don't get it, but that's for another time.

Waiting staff by the table simply need to be given an 'order' to go and get your drinks while you look at the menu, it keeps them busy and allows you choosing time. Not difficult I would have thought.

I always do and it never seems to work. For a start, many waiting staff cannot seem to understand the word "water". I speak it slowly and without a regional English accent as well. I've now taken to routinely saying "wat-tarrrrrr", which slightly improves comprehension, but not much. Should switch to coke, I suppose, but quite why restaurants owners employ servers that can't understand the word water is utterly beyond me.

And to repeat, this is not farang moaning about how Thailand should be better for US. It is helpful criticism for how Thailand could be better for THEM.

Edited by Super Hans

I always do and it never seems to work. For a start, many waiting staff cannot seem to understand the word "water". I speak it slowly and without a regional English accent as well. I've now taken to routinely saying "wat-tarrrrrr", which slightly improves comprehension, but not much. Should switch to coke, I suppose, but quite why restaurants owners employ servers that can't understand the word water is utterly beyond me.

And to repeat, this is not farang moaning about how Thailand should be better for US. It is helpful criticism for how Thailand could be better for THEM.

Here you go, my contribution to making your life in Thailand the pleasure it should be. Say náam (said with a rising tone) - the thai word for water.

The thread was designed to see whether the service offered in Thailand was effective in extracting our bahtage or not. Clearly the majority think it's not an effective strategy.

The one Thai opinion we have been offered says that they prefer the service when staff hover around. And considering that it's the Thai's who spend the real money in this country I would guess that businesses aim their sales techniques at the Thais first, and foreigners a lowly second.

Personally, I find Thailand a difficult country to spend my money in. No, really. I have a policy of not spending my baht anywhere where I'm pestered, pressurised or cajoled into a transaction, even when it's a bargain and to my detriment. This means I spend 99% of my time looking for the 1% of shops, restaurants etc that leave me to browse in peace. I can't stand the "wellllcome" refrain. I can't stand the "hello sir, how are you" bull. I get fed up with waitresses leaping on you as soon as you even slow to catch a glimpse of a menu. I tire of having a shop assistant hovering on my shoulder as I peruse the goods or waitresses that wait expectantly while I try to find something to eat.

Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace? Or maybe people actually like this level of service and it's an effective strategy?

Its always been one of the real annoying things about shopping and eating for me. I can actually feel shop assistants standing behind me. It made me feel so uncomfortable. The waiter that hands you the menu and then places his her pen on the pad. Its a loosing battle really. You get frustrated the waiter or assistant get confused and your appetite for food or shopping starts to dissapear.

For me I eat in regular places or tell the waiter to come back in 5 minutes. The shop assistant takes a hand stop gesture and "I am just looking" instuction. If there feet move within a millisecond of you taking you first step away? You must repeat the same exercise again. If after 3 attempts the penny has'nt dropped you are cleared by air traffic control to scream and foam at the mouth. Best just to leave the shop or learn the Thai for " I am just looking. If i need any help I will call you".

What really gets me is when the workers in a shop yell out "You can come in and look!" "Feel free to ask!" "We have this and that!" to every person who walks past their shop even in a desperately-crowded mall.

The last time I was in Platinum these two women who had a shop in the front aisle were yelling BS so loud that I could hear them at the back corner of the mall and even upstairs. On a completely-crowded Saturday.

I tend to buy more stuff if there isn't someone following me. If it bothers you, do what I do: Wear headphones.

What really gets me is when the workers in a shop yell out "You can come in and look!" "Feel free to ask!" "We have this and that!" to every person who walks past their shop even in a desperately-crowded mall.

The last time I was in Platinum these two women who had a shop in the front aisle were yelling BS so loud that I could hear them at the back corner of the mall and even upstairs. On a completely-crowded Saturday.

I tend to buy more stuff if there isn't someone following me. If it bothers you, do what I do: Wear headphones.

Yeah I gotta say it's pretty stoopid when they say in Thai what translates literally as "you can look first"...."oh really? can I? you mean I don't have to come in and feel obliged to purchase some random object in a box that I'll not get to lay eyes on until I've paid for it and left?"

The other crazy one is when you are obliged to pass someone's stall on a market simply to make passage from one part to another and as you do so they say "what do you want?". "Well actually I just want to walk to the end to get the hel_l outta here but do take the time to tell me what about my behaviour could possibly have made you think otherwise!"

Opposite for me in superstores

It's called 'over employment' when the big shops hire lots of 'non experts' in the department that they are working in. they never know their stuff.... Constantly, I see so many employees just hanging around doing nothing...chatting or using their mobil phones. and when you do actually need someone and are going to make a purchase, they disappear.

This whole thread makes me wonder how you people actually survive in Asia without having a stroke or heart attack from exasperation. This is not the western world, learn to live with it.

I completely agree...I mean, talk about having petty complaints. I guess it's just that most of these people got so used to no service staff in stores (as well as gas stations, restaurants, cafes, etc.) back home and they can't get used to the idea of businesses actually employing service staff to SERVE their customers! I mean, what an original idea :D Make you wonder why some people choose to live in Thailand/Asia if this stuff bothers them...talk about no cultural understanding.

I guess it was the best day of their Thai existence when Starbucks came to town and they were allowed to pay the most expensive price in town for lousy coffee beverages AND had the privilege of busing their own dirty tables and self-serving it to themselves :o For me, I prefer my local Thai coffee cafe that does a fine latte for B 35 (and about 2x size of Starbucks to boot) AND they bring it to my table with a glass of water (in a glass...not self-serve water I pour for myself into a paper cup) and a couple small cookies. Oh, and they also have a buy 9 and the 10th is free card (that doesn't expire in 30 days)!

All the "hovering" doesn't bother me in the least...I just consider it good and (trying) to be helpful service. Of course, some of the following around in stores is to prevent shoplifting (but I'm sure if you were financially responsible for any losses in your department you would keep a good eye on the customers too). In department stores, I also like the fact that I can get most basic alterations done on the spot...and an ironing for free too. I also don't even have to move to pay...just hand off the goods I want to the clerk with the money and in a few minutes it comes back all bagged and with my change. What's not to like.

Spot On. Who dosn't like attentive service? Who really wants to buss their own tables. As for high pressure sales, toughen up and learn how to say no. And I mean that exactly as I said, don't just learn to say no, learn HOW to say No. A good sales person wants to hear No, he knows that he may have to hear no 6 or 7 times before he gets to hear "yes" But if you know HOW to tell them NO and put yourself in control you will find the shopping experiance much more pleasent. I love shopping in Thailand second only to shopping in Dubai.

Interesting that they will be following you everywhere in the shop and getting on your nerves, but when you actually need help they will not have a slightest idea about the product. But the following thing I think is related to the fact that Asian customers actually like to be followed by the shop assistant, because then they feel like little emperors. :o

Quite true I tried in vain to buy "undercoat" the other day for painting a door the top coat will be off white colour.

I asked for undercoat and got led to aluminium wood primer and told that was what I needed, really I said so for a cream coloured door a nice dark grey coat of aluminium wood primer will help I asked, puzzled look and then pointed me to a tin of Red oxide primer! Doh!!!! Home pro know nothing.

I went to Tesco/Lotus today.

My wife and I saw an excercise machine on offer, at a very good price.

We told the assistant that we would like to buy it, he told us he would check to see if they had any apart from the display model. 2 mins later he returned to say that was the only one, and there would be no guarantee, and because it was not a current model no-one would repair it (He was wearing a polo shirt from a rival company).

We wandered off for an hour, doing the rest of our shopping, and then returned to the salesman to say that we had talked it over and decided to buy it. OK he said, I will check to see if we have another one in stock (again). This time he 'found' one, and we bought it, including guarantee.

Another quick story. Still at Lotus.

Went to buy a cheap TV.

Chose one, the salesman said it was no good because it was made in China. I pointed out to him that it said 'Made In Thailand' on the box. He told me the box was not correct? <deleted>

I think the point I'm trying to make is don't trust the salesman, but then I suppose the same can be said all over the world.

my Thai friends also hate being followed. its best to just tell them that you can look by yourself and will let them know if you need help. when they 'recommend stuff' it can be very funny. do i really need you to point out a random DVD when I am looking though a store with thousands?

Interesting that they will be following you everywhere in the shop and getting on your nerves, but when you actually need help they will not have a slightest idea about the product. But the following thing I think is related to the fact that Asian customers actually like to be followed by the shop assistant, because then they feel like little emperors. :o

Quite true I tried in vain to buy "undercoat" the other day for painting a door the top coat will be off white colour.

I asked for undercoat and got led to aluminium wood primer and told that was what I needed, really I said so for a cream coloured door a nice dark grey coat of aluminium wood primer will help I asked, puzzled look and then pointed me to a tin of Red oxide primer! Doh!!!! Home pro know nothing.

I thought that primer color doesn't matter and that primer is only used to create a surface that topcoat paint will adhese to better.

I thought that primer color doesn't matter and that primer is only used to create a surface that topcoat paint will adhese to better.

Of course the primer colour matters. If you are useing a light topcoat you have to use a light primer or your going to have to apply more coats.

OK you stick a dark grey primer on a white topcoat door and let me know how many coats it takes?? good luck!

i wonder if there are gender differences in shopping preferences.... most of u seem to be male; and male shopping techniquies seem to be different then female styles...i dont really care if someone follows me or not its their problem, not mine... and of course i dont trust the sales person, that is their job, to sell, even if it is wrong... that is why when buying highly technical stuff or expensive stuff, u do your homework first. as a woman, when i go to a appliance store, i always have 'helpful' tech staff trying to sell me what turns out to be over the top or more expensive stuff then i really would need. i come armed with my list of requirements after doing a bit of googling and voila, suddenly i dont get vampired ...

and as for the italian owned store someone mentioned, that is mediterranean style.... just different then the western anglo styles... and the last time i was in an american store, i found it eerie... it was quiet, and the personell were very sort of 'cold'... and./or stupid mindless procedure following idiots... as compared to the noisy nosey sometimes rude types im used to.

bina

This whole thread makes me wonder how you people actually survive in Asia without having a stroke or heart attack from exasperation. This is not the western world, learn to live with it.

I completely agree...I mean, talk about having petty complaints. I guess it's just that most of these people got so used to no service staff in stores (as well as gas stations, restaurants, cafes, etc.) back home and they can't get used to the idea of businesses actually employing service staff to SERVE their customers! I mean, what an original idea :D Make you wonder why some people choose to live in Thailand/Asia if this stuff bothers them...talk about no cultural understanding.

I guess it was the best day of their Thai existence when Starbucks came to town and they were allowed to pay the most expensive price in town for lousy coffee beverages AND had the privilege of busing their own dirty tables and self-serving it to themselves :o For me, I prefer my local Thai coffee cafe that does a fine latte for B 35 (and about 2x size of Starbucks to boot) AND they bring it to my table with a glass of water (in a glass...not self-serve water I pour for myself into a paper cup) and a couple small cookies. Oh, and they also have a buy 9 and the 10th is free card (that doesn't expire in 30 days)!

Get Real! Their only motivation for this harrassment and stalking is to get commission.

How is this a helpful service? More often than not they are pushing you to buy something that you are not interested in. As many have said when you do actually ask them for some product information their knowledge on the whole is limited.

Thai sales techniques are almost none existant, you must be very timid to chose to avoid certain shops because of these aggressive *wewcome sir* sales staff. If you ever visit India I dont think you'd ever leave your room.

Edited by enyaw

The one Thai opinion we have been offered says that they prefer the service when staff hover around. And considering that it's the Thai's who spend the real money in this country I would guess that businesses aim their sales techniques at the Thais first, and foreigners a lowly second.

I must disagree with you on two points. 1) I know many Thais and none of them like to be hovered around unless it's at a spa or some other exclusive service like at an AIS Serenade shop. 2) On the "lowly foreigner" issue, my current and former GF have often noted to me that the sales staff are far more aggressive with me then with Thais. For example, last week while trying to buy a tie, I was set upon by no less than three salesgirls, one of whom was actually blocking my way as I tried to move to the next tie rack. I had to elbow past as if they were street vendors instead of sales clerks in a department store.

I will agree with many of the posters here in that Thai sales staff are usually useless and make no meaningful contribution to the transaction. That being said, I also note that many Thais are willing to listen to these clueless sales people as if they know something and actually take their advice. So, in a sense, it can be deemed effective for Thai consumers, but again, they are not being subjected to the level of harassment that a foreigner is.

As I have noted in previous threads, such behavior sucks all the joy out of shopping. I save a small fortune because I no longer impulse buy.

Personally, I find Thailand a difficult country to spend my money in. No, really. I have a policy of not spending my baht anywhere where I'm pestered, pressurised or cajoled into a transaction, even when it's a bargain and to my detriment. This means I spend 99% of my time looking for the 1% of shops, restaurants etc that leave me to browse in peace. I can't stand the "wellllcome" refrain. I can't stand the "hello sir, how are you" bull. I get fed up with waitresses leaping on you as soon as you even slow to catch a glimpse of a menu. I tire of having a shop assistant hovering on my shoulder as I peruse the goods or waitresses that wait expectantly while I try to find something to eat.

Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace? Or maybe people actually like this level of service and it's an effective strategy?

First off, "Thai Sales Techniques" is an oxymoron, they don't have any.

I wonder if the OP is getting the Nepalese confused with Thais, as it's these people that are out there "how are you sir" "nice pants"...

I train Thai sales staff and it's a struggle as they are taught to be humble. As far as them following you around in the store, that is a service so that when you choose something, they will take it to the counter and let you continue to shop.

"Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace?" no, you are not and depending on where you come from, this is a strange situation. For people from the U.S., and I would say Oz too (correct me Aussies if not right) we expect a little "upsell". That person instead of following you around should be pitching products to extract more cash. As an American, we want to hear what is the latest, what is selling the best, what's the best product in the store.

I've found that Europeans hate this and would rather shop in peace.

First off, "Thai Sales Techniques" is an oxymoron, they don't have any.

I wonder if the OP is getting the Nepalese confused with Thais, as it's these people that are out there "how are you sir" "nice pants"...

I train Thai sales staff and it's a struggle as they are taught to be humble. As far as them following you around in the store, that is a service so that when you choose something, they will take it to the counter and let you continue to shop.

"Am I alone in thinking they'd extract more cash from us if they'd give us a little more space to shop in peace?" no, you are not and depending on where you come from, this is a strange situation. For people from the U.S., and I would say Oz too (correct me Aussies if not right) we expect a little "upsell". That person instead of following you around should be pitching products to extract more cash. As an American, we want to hear what is the latest, what is selling the best, what's the best product in the store.

I've found that Europeans hate this and would rather shop in peace.

Thanks. That's what I'd suspected. Didn't mean this thread to turn into a Thai bashing exercise - and definitely not one about DIY, which is DI why? to me.

Anyway, the vast majority of sales staff are a pain/useless anywhere in the world - not a just Thai problem. Surpised nobody's mentioned the taxi drivers, who are irritating as hel_l in some places. I strongly recommend taxi manufacturers introduce an electric shock device to be rigged to the horn. One small toot is allowable, building up to an electric chair type shock for songthaew drivers with particularly pushy wives in the passenger seat. I suggest the first batch goes straight to Samui, where horn honking is something of an obsession.

I have only seen 1 Thai (out side of the flesh peddling variety), a white collar proffessional guy in his late 40's, that has a decent sales technique. I personaly have not seen ANY Closers. I'm sure they exsist but I just have not seen any in the 7 years I have been around here.