Swift Code Question

Yep, looks pretty much to be like that. Have my account at Bangkok Bank headquarters on Silom road (SWIFT: BKKBTHBKA) and just got an invoice by a customer featuring the same one despite his account is at Rajburana branch.

Appears like there is just one SWIFT per bank and country while branch identification is done via the account number (something like first three digits indicate the branch) which would surely make sense rather than having any branch featuring their own SWIFT 'coz otherwise the worldwide SWIFT directory would weigh tons.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard,

My, my, you certainly ARE a wealth of information. Conicidentally, I was going to go to the Lat Phrao branch of Bangkok Bank to ask that same question. I recieved their SWIFT code from their Samutprakan branch long ago and was wondering the same.

Thanks, you just save me 2 hours of waiting (1-1/2 hours in traffic jams and 1/2 at the bank).

Take good care,

Pete

If the amount being wired is substantial, I would be on the phone to their central wire office at the main branch in Bangkok within 24 hours of the wire time, (through the local branch manager or staff, as I have definitely detected a tendency by Bangkok Bank to o"sit on the transfer" for days until they credit your account.

"Float" is the name of the game today, and U.S. banks are into it bigtime, putting "holds" on deposited funds for a variety of reasons, usually they are "awaiting funds to clear", but as we know, with electronic banking, it is virtually instantaneous between banks.

Bangkok Bank's explanation was that staff was busy with many transfers and hadn't gotten to crediting yet. Was done within ten minutes, once the local branch manager called the wire transfer office.

I am with SCB now and they were happy to give me the central wire transfer office where I spoke to an excellent English speaking lady who was able to give me arrival time in Thailand and deposit time to my account, without me visiting a branch.

Just to add confusion I use "BKKBTHBK" as the Swift code for Bangkok Bank (and I use the Lat Phao branch). This is also the official Swift code as listed on the BBL web site:

:: SWIFT Address ::

Please advise your bank of our SWIFT address as BKKBTHBK when you transfer funds from abroad.

I have never had a float problem but perhaps specific branches are not so lucky. Mine is always credited within 48 hours of being sent.

The first 3 digits, as said, indicate the branch for Bangkok Bank.

Some others may have bank specific Swift codes but this one code is good for all BBL branches.

A bank can have one or multiple SWIFT codes/accounts. It is certainly not required that they possess one for each branch. In most instances they may have one SWIFT account for the bulk of their every day activities with the sub account information ie your account number indicating where the funds need to be booked.

Specific SWIFT accounts could be used for different business lines within the bank or even if required for a specific account if the bank felt it necessary. This would be very rare

Just to add confusion I use "BKKBTHBK" as the Swift code for Bangkok Bank (and I use the Lat Phao branch). This is also the official Swift code as listed on the BBL web site:
  :: SWIFT Address ::

Please advise your bank of our SWIFT address as BKKBTHBK when you transfer funds from abroad.

I have never had a float problem but perhaps specific branches are not so lucky. Mine is always credited within 48 hours of being sent.

The first 3 digits, as said, indicate the branch for Bangkok Bank.

Some others may have bank specific Swift codes but this one code is good for all BBL branches.

lopburi3,

You're right. I checked the SWIFT code I used for the Samutprakan branch and it was identical: BKKBTHBK.

A typo perhaps, Richard? Or perhaps an instance of a multiple SWIFT code as suggested by qwertyuiop?

Thanks all ...

One other comment, I too have never experienced delays wiring money to a Bangkok Bank account from an outside source. It is usually deposited within the next business day or two.

However, when I have wired money to a Bangkok Bank account from an international branch of Bangkok Bank, the minimum delay is either 3 days or 5 days, depending on what you pay for the transfer fee.

I used this Bangkok Bank International Funds Transfer FAQ to successfully transfer funds from my bank account in the U.S.A. to my bank account at Bangkok Bank, Bang Kapi branch.

Here is part of that FAQ:

1. What is Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT code and when should I use it?

Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK. This is the one and only code for every Bangkok Bank branch. You can give this to the bank where the funds transfer originates from. It will save the search fees and time.

2. When sending money from overseas to a Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand what information should I give to my bank?

The bank will ask you for the name of the person receiving the money and their account number as it appears in their Bangkok Bank passbook.

My transfer took ~ 30 hours, my bank charged me $15 USD and Bangkok Bank charged me 500 baht (the maximum fee). I received the median interbank exchange rate for the date of my transfer.

I used Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited, 29 Broadway, 20th Floor, NY, NY 10006 as the “Intermediary Bank”. So I guess my bank sent them USD and then they sent THB to Bangkok Bank in Thailand?

I used my Bangkok Bank branch as the “Beneficiary Bank”.

As mentioned, I am certain Bangkok Bank can identify your branch from the account number.

I used this Bangkok Bank International Funds Transfer FAQ to successfully transfer funds from my bank account in the U.S.A. to my bank account at Bangkok Bank, Bang Kapi branch.

Here is part of that FAQ:

1. What is Bangkok Bank’s SWIFT code and when should I use it?

Our SWIFT code is BKKBTHBK. This is the one and only code for every Bangkok Bank branch. You can give this to the bank where the funds transfer originates from. It will save the search fees and time.

2. When sending money from overseas to a Bangkok Bank branch in Thailand what information should I give to my bank?

The bank will ask you for the name of the person receiving the money and their account number as it appears in their Bangkok Bank passbook.

My transfer took ~ 30 hours, my bank charged me $15 USD and Bangkok Bank charged me 500 baht (the maximum fee). I received the median interbank exchange rate for the date of my transfer.

I used Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited, 29 Broadway, 20th Floor, NY, NY 10006 as the “Intermediary Bank”. So I guess my bank sent them USD and then they sent THB to Bangkok Bank in Thailand?

I used my Bangkok Bank branch as the “Beneficiary Bank”.

As mentioned, I am certain Bangkok Bank can identify your branch from the account number.

aI have not checked full details for several years but the normal route for any transfer from my US bank ($45 charge) using that Swift code seems to be via the New York office where $5 is taken out. In Bangkok a fee of .0025% is charged in baht.

This has been my experience on under $10,000 transfers. Obviously do not have cheapest bank fee so make each transfer large rather than every month or two.

A typo perhaps, Richard? Or perhaps an instance of a multiple SWIFT code as suggested by qwertyuiop?

Well Pete,

yes, I realize that my indicated SWIFT code has an additional A and hence features 9 digits rather than the common 8.

Actually, the one with the additional "A" I used when I was still back in Germany and it worked. Now, obviously there are only the opitions that I dreamt that additional A up myself back than and it dragged through until these days but the banks were just smart enough to just ignore that personal additional contribution or my old German bank added the A themselves for internal reasons. Possibly, this ending A stands for "Ausland" (= foreign country) or whatever.

Anyway, apologies for givin' ya an unnecessary A (but shoot at least better than a F). To make up for my crime I offer to all the guys and gals I "Aed" the following very useful link http://www.swift.com/biconline/index.cfm which features a search function for all Swift codes. Gave it some test shots myself by putting in Bangkok Bank, Bangkok and Thailand and whoops I got BKKBTHBK. I gave it an additional try with Kasikorn and... the winner is Kasikorn shows several Swifts. Basically adding 3 additional letters for the various branches.

Well, guess the mentioned link should be the ideal tool to answer ALL your future Swift code questions.

Cheers,

Richard