Driving Licence

iainiain101

In my experience I have never needed my International Drivers licence.

I’ve had two minor accidents – the police were involved with the first (about 6-7 years ago), I only showed my standard UK domestic drivers licence (paper copy). I was not asked for passport, visa or my international licence.

With the second accident I was not even moving, the taxi was clearly at fault and admitted so. However, he had no insurance so I let him go (I’ve told this story previously on TV). My insurance didn’t even ask for any licence.

IF things were to get sticky, I believe that as a non Thai we are expect to carry an international licence, renewed every year, or a Thai licence, which must also be renewed every year (to start with).

If you have no plan to go home, getting a Thai licence is the option. If you go home regularly (i.e. yearly) then obtaining an international licence takes five minutes (in the UK post office).

I think I am correct in believing that if you are not on a tourist visa then legally you would require a Thai Licence. On a tourist visa you need the International licence.

I’ve only ever heard of the International licence being requested by Policemen in the know when stopping pulling you over for a minor traffic violation. In the event of an accident I found the police to be quite helpful (In Bangkok, I guess this changes by location though).

I plan to get a Thai licence as I believe it could make some things more convenient, but not so much so that it’s urgent. This has been the case for a few years now, I’ll get there one day.

In my experience I have never needed my International Drivers licence.

I’ve had two minor accidents – the police were involved with the first (about 6-7 years ago), I only showed my standard UK domestic drivers licence (paper copy). I was not asked for passport, visa or my international licence.

With the second accident I was not even moving, the taxi was clearly at fault and admitted so. However, he had no insurance so I let him go (I’ve told this story previously on TV). My insurance didn’t even ask for any licence.

IF things were to get sticky, I believe that as a non Thai we are expect to carry an international licence, renewed every year, or a Thai licence, which must also be renewed every year (to start with).

If you have no plan to go home, getting a Thai licence is the option. If you go home regularly (i.e. yearly) then obtaining an international licence takes five minutes (in the UK post office).

I think I am correct in believing that if you are not on a tourist visa then legally you would require a Thai Licence. On a tourist visa you need the International licence.

I’ve only ever heard of the International licence being requested by Policemen in the know when stopping pulling you over for a minor traffic violation. In the event of an accident I found the police to be quite helpful (In Bangkok, I guess this changes by location though).

I plan to get a Thai licence as I believe it could make some things more convenient, but not so much so that it’s urgent. This has been the case for a few years now, I’ll get there one day.

Maybee my wife will get there one day. She hasen't got one at all, just gets a ticket from BIB and forgets to pay it

told her to go and get one, but she say she worry she no understand colours ??

Does anyone know how much the American Consulate charge for this?

I've been tempted to just blow off getting the license ( my neighbor, from NC said he has never got one and he's been here 9 years, "too much of a hassle" he says..)

Do you always advocate breaking the law? You would never think of doing this in your own country, so why do it here? You only have to have one accident without being in posession of a Thai licence; and the associated vehicle insurance becomes null and void. Consequently you could be up for tens of thousands of baht....Grow up and respect the law of the land :o

Not true. I had an accident lat May, with no driving license except a 30 year expired Oregon license... They (the insurance company) paid for hauling, my hospital, and the cost to fiz my truck. I'm fairly sure all insurance companies are not so kind, but this one is... The Viriyah Insurance Co., LTD

Edited by Ajarn

Does anyone know how much the American Consulate charge for this?

I've been tempted to just blow off getting the license ( my neighbor, from NC said he has never got one and he's been here 9 years, "too much of a hassle" he says..)

Do you always advocate breaking the law? You would never think of doing this in your own country, so why do it here? You only have to have one accident without being in posession of a Thai licence; and the associated vehicle insurance becomes null and void. Consequently you could be up for tens of thousands of baht....Grow up and respect the law of the land :o

Not true. I had an accident lat May, with no driving license except a 30 year expired Oregon license... They (the insurance company) paid for hauling, my hospital, and the cost to fiz my truck. I'm fairly sure all insurance companies are not so kind, but this one is... The Viriyah Insurance Co., LTD

It must be noted, I did not just blow it off and after a "spanking" by MM, I did grow up and got my license. :D

It must be noted, I did not just blow it off and after a "spanking" by MM, I did grow up and got my license. :D

Top marks :D Battling the Thai system, and coming out with "ready to race" ticket gives one a sense of acheivement! Well done :o

I was amazed at how easy I got my Thai driving license. I had never had a license prior to this. I just showed my work permit and a letter form my school. One of the bosses in the test place took over my application immediately. He asked me if I knew how to drive and I said yes - sort of. He tested my reactions on those machine things and that was it. No other test. It was all done in less than a half hour.

Oh and the medical certificate was a joke. They didn't ask me anything.

Edited by garro

Legally you need an International Drivers license to drive in Thailand. People do seem to 'get away with' using a UK license.

Iain

I was under the impression that an International licence is only acceptable for 12 months. Then you must get a Thai licence - or,presumably, leave the country for a short while, and get another year's grace.

Is it possible that the BiB are so dumb that they wouldn't know an International and/or UK licence from a Christening certificate?

The International Driving License is issued for a year in the UK, but only valid for 3 months (90 days) stay in Thailand. This works out ok if you are on a 90 baorder run visa.

Iain

I found getting a 5 year licence perfectly straight forward. Handed in my initial (12 month) licence, handed over a small amount of dosh and was sent on my way rejoicing. Nobody even asked for a tip! I am told by some that having a 5 year licence may smooth one's path since cops will know that you have been here for some time, know the ropes and are less likely to take liberties. To date I have only coughed up when I felt that I did break the law and even then bargained down to 50 or 100 baht.

I had a great conversation with a cop in Khon Kaen. I was pulled for speeding and he insisted that I was hurtling along 119 KPH. I vehemently denied this and he countered that I had passed through a radar trap. I still insisted that he was acting on incorrect information and disputed the fact. Eventually he asked what speed did I think I was travelling at. I said I was doing 120. He laughed out loud and said 100 baht then. I opened my wallet and found that the only small money I had was a 50 baht note. He accepted this and we gleefully shook hands, honour satisfied.

There are separate licences for Bike and Car, despite them both known coloquially as "Bai Khap Khii" (drive ride).

In 2006 in Chiang Mai I had to provide a Residence Certificate to get my 5-year licences.

You need the mini 1x1 inch photos which you get at the photo shop opposite the main gate, on the Hang Dong Road.

BTW: I find it useful having a Thai D/L when paying to enter a National Park - phuut phasaa Thai a bit and can usually avoid the (higher!) farang fee. Also easy to use Thai D/L to collect registered mail at the PO.

Colour photocopies seem go a long way here - so imo it's worth having a copy of DL in the car / under the seat, in case "my licence is in my other strides at home, officer".

You need the mini 1x1 inch photos which you get at the photo shop opposite the main gate, on the Hang Dong Road.

No need for photos anymore - they issue 'Smart' licenses now so they a take digital mugshot.

No need for photos anymore - they issue 'Smart' licenses now so they a take digital mugshot.

So the licences are more intelligent than the average Civil Servant - or cop? :o

Legally you need an International Drivers license to drive in Thailand. People do seem to 'get away with' using a UK license.

Iain

Surely that would be the best route. Get International Licence one Fee and lasts for 10 years ? Not sure on that

But can apply for it at post office in the Uk simple form, and all done dont have to jump thro hoops.

IDP - maximum 1 year. Many people 'get away' with using IDP's or their home country's driving license, and yes your insurance company might pay up in these circumstances.

However, if you kill a Thai then you will be in a world of sh1t without a Thai license. Fortunately I've never done that, but I have a couple of acquaintances who have - 1 with a Thai license, and 1 without. The 1 without is still in the monkeyhouse trying to raise the capital to buy himself out.

I have 2 x 5 year licenses now (motorbike and car), and as mentioned previously, when you produce these the BiB are somewhat taken aback, realise you've been here a while, and generally are more lenient. Additonally I have saved the cost of the licenses probably 10 fold at tourist destinations when friends and family are visiting, simply by showing the license and getting the 'Thai price'.

However, if you kill a Thai then you will be in a world of sh1t without a Thai license. Fortunately I've never done that, but I have a couple of acquaintances who have - 1 with a Thai license, and 1 without. The 1 without is still in the monkeyhouse trying to raise the capital to buy himself out.

I'd say that the one friend in jail is there because the police believe he was at fault. Nothing to do with his license. I have lived here 23 years without a Thai license, and have never had a problem, including the National Parks, where my business card has always gotten the local price..

I just got my first Thai car driving license here in CM today so I thought I'd share the routine here.

Requirements:

* Passport with Thai visa (**Residency visa may not be required, read below)

* Medical certificate from hospital (80 Baht)

* Statdec from the embassy stating that you actually reside in Thailand (640 Baht from Aussie Consulate in BKK)

* Drivers license from back home (**Mine was not accepted, read below)

* Photocopy of passport photo page and latest visa stamp page

* 205 baht total processing fees

* Appx. four hours of your time (cut that in half if you are not taking the driving test)

* Car (if you will be taking the driving test)

Handy:

* A friend/spouse/colleague to act as translator

Also:

* NO photos are required

Having been away for so long, my NSW drivers license had expired and is no longer renewable by post. With no plans to head back soon I decided to get a license here.

On the way to the Driving License Agency I stopped at the small hospital about 1km before. Told them I was applying for a driving license and they knew exactly what I needed. Took all of 15 minutes in and out. They just seemed to test that I was actually alive and then give me an official letter stating so.

I arrived in the afternoon and cheekily presented my expired license to the nice lady at counter 22. She immediately spotted the date and explained I'd have to take the full driving test to qualify for a Thai license. She then explained that I will need to return the following day at 9am to begin the process as they only do the testing in the mornings. Even for a holder of a valid foreign license, I believe you will need to come in the morning because they still do some simple tests on you.

The lady did not seem too interested in my visa type. I do not currently hold a non-immigrant or resident visa - I only have an APEC Travel Card visa. I gather from an earlier post here that even a regular tourist visa is also acceptable. Perhaps this is a new policy which coincides with others reporting that residency declarations must now come directly from the applicant's consulate.

The next day I returned at 9am. Shortly after submitting the paperwork I was called into the testing room opposite, along with 30 or so other applicants. Here we were told about the location (but not the importance!) of the red, yellow and green lights on a traffic signal. A simple test was then carried out for each person where the instructor pointed to a coloured dot on a poster and asked us to name the colour. English was accepted. The next test was a very simple accelerator/brake test. You stop on the accelerator to make the green lights light up, then the red light will suddenly appear and you must quickly hit the brake pedal. I managed to fail it first time but I'd swear their machine was crap. I was given a second chance and failed again despite having hit the brake within milliseconds. Other people were taking up to half a second and passing the test so I really have no idea what was wrong with my test. The instructor gave me one last chance and I passed. The final test was a simple peripheral vision coloured light detection test. Almost impossible to fail for anyone with working eyes. We were handed our graded paperwork and sent on our way.

If I had had a valid foreign license, I could have gone straight to get the Thai license. However I was sent to Room 3 next to take another, more serious, exam. First I had to watch a very dull, hour long, video (in English) and then study a couple English pamphlets about signage and traffic rules. I made a few mental notes about some of the unfamiliar traffic signs, and some of the rules which seemed particular to Thailand, such as: How many people are allowed on a motorcycle? How high can you stack goods on your vehicle? Where are you allowed to park your vehicle? These mental notes came in handy for the following exam.

The exam is taken on a computer, in English, and consists of 30 multiple-choice questions. You are given one hour to complete the exam. The test questions were mostly easy, however some were quite ambiguous and surprisingly, I failed it, having missed 9 out of 30. I was given the chance to review my wrong answers with the correct answers. A typical ambiguous question was like: "Which of these pictures is correct?" I then had to examine 4 small cartoon drawings of cars on a road. There was no indication whether they were moving or parking, which would definitely affect the answer. Other questions were equally ambiguous, or with drawings of objects which I did not recognize. Still, one or two of the 'correct' answers seemed quite definitely wrong, and a couple questions definitely could have had more than one correct answer. Oh well. An odd thing about the exam was that several questions were repeated, sometimes up to 3 times, so the number of actual questions was closer to 20. However, I managed to answer one question wrong 3 times, so they really got me! Some of the English wording was weird too, but that did not affect my results. Fortunately, I was given a second sitting for the exam, not sure why, perhaps because I did not take very long to do the first one. Reviewing my "wrong" answers from the first exam came in handy as they came up again in the second exam. I just squeaked by, missing 6 out of 30. I guess I should mark up some of those wrong answers to cultural differences.

Next came the car driving test. I was pointed out to a small testing area on the opposite side across the main entrance road. There was no queue and the instructor told me how to take the test. It was as follows: Drive the car along the small road, turn right, cross a small bridge, turn right a couple more times, drive between some cones and then reverse back out the same way, hang a left and reverse parallel park without hitting the cones (large space), then pull out and then park alongside the curb with your left wheels in the red area. I aced the driving test and was sent back to the main offices again to collect my license.

After a tedious hour of waiting, during which time they served no more than 15 people(!) my number came up. I paid the money, they took my photo (don't smile!) and collected my "smart card" license.

My Thai wife accompanied me and came in handy a few times for translation purposes, as I don't speak much Thai, however I think I could have done the whole thing myself simply by observing what the people before me were doing. Alternatively, several other farang in my testing group came with 'translators' so I could have easily asked for their assistance, as one English lady did with us. My wife observed that the testing process is far far easier here in CM than in BKK. She said the whole process was comparatively quick and I would never have been given the breaks I had received here when I failed the tests, without greasing palms at least.

That's it. My wife can now resign from her job as husband chauffeur, and I can begin terrorizing the local drivers in my tin-foil Toyota Vios. Hope this guide comes in handy for others.

Reading clokwise's detailed description of what (i.e. how little) it takes to pass the test explains a lot about 90% of the driving one sees here.......

I always suspected that it was hardly a challenge to get the licence (even without resorting to tea-money) - now I really know why. :o

Thanks.

I will cast another vote for how a 5 year DL is to some police. It marks you as a long term resident who complies with Thai law better than most Thais do. It also gets you into the most strictly guarded gated subdivisions in CMai. It even was a handy ID in the emergency room.

It's the Get Out Of Jail Free card? :D

Have two 5-year licenses, auto and motorsai, the new kind- had them since Jan 3.

The bummer is, the police refuse to pull me over, ever, even in the major roadblocks where they have 20 or so bikes pulled over.

So I never get to show the dang thing.....what good is it, then? :o

My first license (1 yr) was a floppy paper thing. For the next one (5 yr), they asked me if I wanted one that was valid in all Asean countries. It is hard plastic, like a proper ID or thick credit card. Does anyone have the true story on the Asean validity?

My first license (1 yr) was a floppy paper thing. For the next one (5 yr), they asked me if I wanted one that was valid in all Asean countries. It is hard plastic, like a proper ID or thick credit card. Does anyone have the true story on the Asean validity?

Does anyone have the clear and CONCISE answer to the very brief and simple query of the OP?

I have seldom seen such rambling, partly coherent and often irrelevant responses to such a very easy topic!

After a year here on an IDP or any ENGLISH language driving licence, go to the Land Transport Dept, Hang Dong Rd, take a Thai reader & speaker if you yourelf do not, get a list of what is required, take all the gubbins back, fill in the (Thai language) form and get a Thai licence. After 1 year with a 1 year licence you can apply for and get a 5 year.

To fail to do any of this and still use Thai roads is UTTER irresponsibility. You really want foreign immigrants farting about on the roads of your HOME countries among YOUR children and grandchildren without the required legal document?

Few of us have 'Residency' status. Or want it. Ignore those posters who use this LOADED term. What they mean is 'proof of where you live' letters, which must now indeed come from your Consulates or Embassies at their own specified prices, sadly no longer from the mainly good and always over-worked CM Immigration people.

You will only have to take the (amusingly termed) 'test' if you do NOT start with an IDP or English language licence from your home country.

Please note:

a) It's NOT rocket science and

:o The current head of LTD Chiang Mai, up on what we Brits call the 1st floor, is charming, polite and patient IF you are too - and 100% clean.

Go for it. Do it! But for gawd's sake don't over-complicate it!

Does anyone have the clear and CONCISE answer to the very brief and simple query of the OP?

I have seldom seen such rambling, partly coherent and often irrelevant responses to such a very easy topic!

After a year here on an IDP or any ENGLISH language driving licence, go to the Land Transport Dept, Hang Dong Rd, take a Thai reader & speaker if you yourelf do not, get a list of what is required, take all the gubbins back, fill in the (Thai language) form and get a Thai licence. After 1 year with a 1 year licence you can apply for and get a 5 year.

To fail to do any of this and still use Thai roads is UTTER irresponsibility. You really want foreign immigrants farting about on the roads of your HOME countries among YOUR children and grandchildren without the required legal document?

Few of us have 'Residency' status. Or want it. Ignore those posters who use this LOADED term. What they mean is 'proof of where you live' letters, which must now indeed come from your Consulates or Embassies at their own specified prices, sadly no longer from the mainly good and always over-worked CM Immigration people.

You will only have to take the (amusingly termed) 'test' if you do NOT start with an IDP or English language licence from your home country.

Please note:

a) It's NOT rocket science and

:o The current head of LTD Chiang Mai, up on what we Brits call the 1st floor, is charming, polite and patient IF you are too - and 100% clean.

Go for it. Do it! But for gawd's sake don't over-complicate it!

Well said i got both my car and motorbike 1 year licences this year and their was nothing easier,the lady at the transport office on the 1st floor could not be more helpful.

2nd floor to los Gringos amongst us.... :o

See the above mentioned lady at Window 25.

For additional info, see this very informative page from the CM Expat Club: link for complete info re: cost, location, etc.

It appears the rules might have changed slightly since this info was written; according to some posters, a 1 year residence visa is not required.

However, the info is very comprehensive nonetheless.

2nd floor to los Gringos amongst us.... :D

See the above mentioned lady at Window 25.

For additional info, see this very informative page from the CM Expat Club: link for complete info re: cost, location, etc.

It appears the rules might have changed slightly since this info was written; according to some posters, a 1 year residence visa is not required.

However, the info is very comprehensive nonetheless.

It is quite clear, If you are driving in Thailand for more then 14 days on Uk ticket, you are required by law to 1/ have an international driving permit or 2/ apply for a Thai driving licence.

They know what you are qualified to drive on your UK ticket, and like most of us, ('cause its very hard and expensive to get) you don't have a motorbike ticket, you take the test! The written exam is in English, but I believe it is now in most places on computer. you fail you take it again , and again , and again until you pass. (but don't throw your toys out of the pram! they want you to pass and will be very helpful). You will take the driving test and I know you will be the only one following the signs and rules. ( Do not rush off in the lead 'cause the Thais will smash into you when you stop at the junctions) pull away last. don't fall off and bingo you have a motorcycle licence. When you get you 5 yr ticket in Thailand you can apply for international driving permit, pop to the UK and drive that 750/4 your mates got legally for a couple of months (3-6) (get stopped for speeding, the old bill will not know where you will pay the fine or turn up in court. 'cause you are not a resident. :o