To Hong Kong For Shopping

hucus

I live in Pattaya and thinking about going to Hong Kong for shopping to buy a camcorder and a lcd monitor stand.

1. Is there any online shops in HK where can I check prices?

2. Any way to get a visa and a ticket w/o going to BKK?

3. Any alternatives to HK for buying electronics?

I live in Pattaya and thinking about going to Hong Kong for shopping to buy a camcorder and a lcd monitor stand.

What is wrong with Bangkok?

Pantip Plaza, has most everything. DO NOT USE CREDIT CARDS THERE.

Unless you are going for a holiday as well, the airfare would make it a silly thing to do.

I love Honkers, but neva buy electronics there, mite be cheaper (Not actually) and NO warranty.

Obviously you are paying cash, bargain at places like , Mahboonkrong .... MBK Centre.

Good luck.

I have just returned from Hong Kong last week. I found that there were really no bargains, especially in electronics. If you really want something, do research on the brand and model number that you are interested with the Thai price. Make sure that you know what is supposed to be included with the item, and what is optional. Many dealers will offer a lower price for the base product, but charge you for items which are supposed to be included with it. When you are in Hong Kong, there are hundreds and hundreds of dealers to go to, and many of them have prices on the product--but the prices are extremely negotiable. Before you buy, ask to see the international warantee as well.

Another hint, if you are changing money the banks will charge you 50 Hong Kong Dollars service charge to buy Hong Kong Dollars. The money changers rates are slightly lower--you can bargain with them on the exchange rate too--but they do not charge a service charge. I found the best exchange rate was at the Hong Kong airport.

There are plenty of warnings on the net from travelers about buying electronics in Hong Kong.

What they show you in the shop is not necessarily what they wrap up for you.

Unless you live in HK or are a frequent traveler there, how are you going to return faulty goods to them.

As Zpete correctly stated, you won't save much, if anything, buying in HK.

How about Singapore, away from the tourist area's I hear Camcorders are one of the best buys.

Most farang and Thai do not need a visa to Hong Kong.

Product in this chain store's product has warranty. (Fortress has warranty too)

http://www.ibroadway.com.hk/images/easter_v1_ad.jpg

http://www.ibroadway.com.hk/images/easter_v3_ad.jpg

http://www.ibroadway.com.hk/images/sonydc_ad.jpg

It's in Chinese, but the picture has model number and price. HK$1 equal to about 4 Baht.

Just for your comparision with Thai price.

Edited by Kwong

How about Singapore, away from the tourist area's I hear Camcorders are one of the best buys.

Don't waste your time. Unless the product you want is on special, it will be much cheaper in Thailand. After all the hype about Singapore shopping, I am very disappointed. Nice island, nice people, loved Sentosa and the zoo - but everything is much more expensive compared to Thailand.

Peter

Don't waste your time. Unless the product you want is on special, it will be much cheaper in Thailand. After all the hype about Singapore shopping, I am very disappointed.

What are you talking about dude!!! Singapore is MUCH MUCH better shopping than Bangkok/Thailand. Like others have said, HKG is not really that good...and too much bargaining and hassles with warranties and such...but Singapore is great. The salesmen in Singapore speak English too, which is usually not the case in HKG.

Anyway, prices and SELECTION in SIN kicks Thai b*tt big time. Except for computers/notebooks, all other electronics are 20-40% less in Singapore compared to Thailand. The other thing is you will usually find the model/make you are looking for, which is often not the case in LOS...only the most popular and cheap models stocked by most Thai retailers. Another thing, you can find the accessories for the main toy you just bought. In Thailand, electronic accessories can be very hard to find.

Here are the two places you need to know for electronics: Funan IT Center in downtown SIN and Sim Lim Square in outer downtown area. Both are just a S$ 5 cab ride from anywhere in central SIN. Most prices are negotiable so have fun bargaining AND most all good come with international warranties.