What's This Artwork ?

adjan jb

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An easy one for someone to pick up.

post-60102-1207323440_thumb.jpg

I recognize the painting but my poor brain cells refuse to tell me who painted it .... :D

LaoPo

:D I knew it...I knew it...I knew it...but so utterly frustrating in not coming to it and the name of the painter. Recently, I watched a documentary about his artwork but he didn't appear in the documentary himself, at all. Just his work and a few photos of him when he was much younger, like in the painting put by member Cavannagh.

He has a -male- secretary doing all the talking and arranging. Not so strange when you see his birth year, 8 December 1922 and born in Berlin, Germany from Jewish parents and emigrated to England in 1933.

It is a very rare self portrait of a quite shy* and seldom interviewed British Painter: Lucian Michael Freud

The painting: Reflection (self-portrait) by Lucian Freud (1985) oil painting, 56.2x51.2 cm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucian_Freud

* Shy.....BUT:

"According to the Sunday Telegraph of 1 September 2002, he is rumoured to have up to 40 illegitimate children, acknowledging them when they have become adults. After an affair with Lorna Garman, he went on to marry her niece Kitty (daughter of sculptor Jacob Epstein and socialite Kathleen Garman) in 1948, but the marriage ended after four years when he began an affair with Lady Caroline Blackwood, a society girl and writer. They married in 1957. He has children by Jacquetta Lampson, daughter of the first Baron Killearn, and by Bernardine Coverley (fashion designer Bella Freud and writer Esther Freud), Suzy Boyt (5 children: Ali, Rose Boyt, Isobel, and Susie Boyt), and Katherine Margaret McAdam (4 children). His daughter Jane McAdam Freud is an artist."

:o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

:o I knew it...I knew it...I knew it...but so utterly frustrating in not coming to it and the name of the painter. Recently, I watched a documentary about his artwork but he didn't appear in the documentary himself, at all. Just his work and a few photos of him when he was much younger, like in the painting put by member Cavannagh.

Well done LaoPo, hope you didn't loose any sleep over it. :D

No doubt about it, Freud is amazing. I remember art class when I was 17, I always thought fine art was just for fuddy-duddies and it all went completely over my head. Then one day my art teacher said he had a book for me to loan - "Oh, great" I sighed to myself. The book was on Lucien and it blew my conceptions apart in about ten seconds. Never looked at art the same way since.

The style...the way he paints human flesh, it's almost like he is painting raw meat and strips away all ego from the subject. Having your portrait done by Lucien would be a most un-nerving experience.

...I wonder what Sigmund would think of his Grandson's paintings.

Oh...your choice would be Edward Hopper, Morning Sun. Nice one!

OK, I'll keep the Sunny theme going. :D

post-60102-1207358216_thumb.jpg

Judging by this style I'd say David Hockney - though I'd have to look up the title if you need that as well.

That's correct LeungKen ! The painting is called: Pool with two figures, 1972

Your turn, as we can't wait for Cavannagh; he's probably in a museum or so, watching paintings :o

LaoPo

Back to Le Déjeuner Sur L' herbe, look at this real life reproduction, I believe it was done in the U.S., simply amazing, even the trees in the background . :o

Also, in the original, can you spot the frog? :D

Here are the two to compare.

post-16522-1207458392_thumb.jpg

post-16522-1207458431_thumb.jpg

That's funny indeed; but I think the reproduction one is photo-shopped as the Lady has either a mask or is totally photo-shopped and the 2 men are 'funny', like dolls.... hard to tell.

LaoPo

It is not real life.... :D it was done here in the US:

http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/

Have a look at this also, where other famous paintings are 'sculptured' in real life nature settings as well; truly amazing and thanks for the hint ! Never heard of it before.

http://www.math.princeton.edu/~wwong/blog/...607140818.shtml

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Back to Le Déjeuner Sur L' herbe, look at this real life reproduction, I believe it was done in the U.S., simply amazing, even the trees in the background . :o

Also, in the original, can you spot the frog? :D

Here are the two to compare.

post-16522-1207458392_thumb.jpg

post-16522-1207458431_thumb.jpg

That's funny indeed; but I think the reproduction one is photo-shopped as the Lady has either a mask or is totally photo-shopped and the 2 men are 'funny', like dolls.... hard to tell.

LaoPo

It is not real life.... :D it was done here in the US:

http://www.groundsforsculpture.org/

Have a look at this also, where other famous paintings are 'sculptured' in real life nature settings as well; truly amazing and thanks for the hint ! Never heard of it before.

http://www.math.princeton.edu/~wwong/blog/...607140818.shtml

LaoPo

Yes the characters and accessories are sculptures. I saw in on the BBC, I remember it was in the U.S., somewhere in New England. Google tells me it done by artist J. Seward Johnson.

How about the frog on the original?

On that same BBC programme, a curator mentioned that even experts had never noticed it before even though it is rather obvious.

Edited by Tony Clifton

:o Frog....?...what frog ?

I can't see it on your images but the original painting is very large*, so it must be quite a frog :D

Can you point me where this frog is ?

* 208 × 265.5 cm or 81.9 × 104.5 inch

Edit:

Now that you mentioned it, I can see the vague shape of a frog on the low left corner; is that correct ? I have to go to the Musée d’Orsay, Paris one of these days to see that frog myself :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I have no idea; a clue is needed.

edit:

Is it "a more or less famous artwork (painting, sculpture,...)" ?

I have never seen it or recognize the style; thats why I ask.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I have no idea; a clue is needed.

I have never seen it or recognize the style; thats why I ask.

LaoPo

Many of his paintings utilized gold leaf.

:o'Your' painting isn't what he's famous for (that's why I didn't recognize his style)....and that includes this painting: :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Klimt_Mulher_sentada.jpg

Gustav Klimt; painting is called "Birkenwald, 1901"

Klimt is famous for paintings like this:

post-13995-1207571677_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

:o'Your' painting isn't what he's famous for

LaoPo

That's why I selected it :D

Btw the portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer sold for $135 million

That was the 'Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I', 1907, auctioned in June 2006 (size 138x138 cm). The 'Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer II', 1912, was auctioned in November 2006 for $88 million (190x120 cm).

However I think the Nr. I is much more beautiful than the Nr. II, despite it's smaller.

LaoPo

DICK Van Dyke? :o

Nope, Dick had a sister and she was a dyke...

The painter had a Master and his name was not van Dyck or van Dyke... :D

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo