Two Tier / Double Pricing For Farang

shepsel

What shall we complain against next?

I know . .how about something similar to two tier pricing? Shall we issue a class action on behalf of ugly people to protest against B Bangkok nightclubs having model's nights, a blatant discrimination based on beauty ;-)

Oh oh oh oh . .and let's take it further. Nana Disco now lets 'ladies' in for free but poor old guys have to pay an entry charge. Outrageous. Scandalous. I insist it end and I will personally launch a campaign to end it. I sincerely hope this doesnt inconvenience those TV members who might hang out at Nana disco in the hope of catching a cheap wife for the night. I know I can rely on all your support to end this discriminatory policy and that we all make those lovely ladies pay the full rate in future.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know 90% of you are just blowing off some steem, but there maybe just giving a rebate to nationals and let the Thai's (who own the country) have a discount as there generally poorer.

I mean I would pay 3 or 4 times just for fun.

I mean calling Thai's racists because of this is just plain stupid, i mean some of you do sink to new lows from time to time.

What shall we complain against next?

I know . .how about something similar to two tier pricing? Shall we issue a class action on behalf of ugly people to protest against B Bangkok nightclubs having model's nights, a blatant discrimination based on beauty ;-)

Oh oh oh oh . .and let's take it further. Nana Disco now lets 'ladies' in for free but poor old guys have to pay an entry charge. Outrageous. Scandalous. I insist it end and I will personally launch a campaign to end it. I sincerely hope this doesnt inconvenience those TV members who might hang out at Nana disco in the hope of catching a cheap wife for the night. I know I can rely on all your support to end this discriminatory policy and that we all make those lovely ladies pay the full rate in future.

Accepting everything without complaining, would make you a brainless sheep in my humble opinion.

I mean calling Thai's racists because of this is just plain stupid, i mean some of you do sink to new lows from time to time.

I would agree, calling Thais in general racist because of this would be racist.

But it is not plain stupid to point out that the policy is racist by definition - but it is plain stupid to deny the obvious fact that it is.

Yes, we are in Thailand!!! I always send the wife in first, that way I get thai prices. Being farang means we pay more, but the reality is it's still cheap compared with back home.

I can agree with both sides, maybe because I have a thai wife, and charges more just because your farang would never be allowed or acceptable in our countries. Living in thailand for six years may have made me too soft.

When I was over in LOS last time myself , mate and Thai friend went to the fights at Lumpini, they have two tier pricing after a little bit of bitching by my Thai friend, we pay Farang price and they let him in for free and he buys drinks all night for us to make it up. I would not have complained but my Thai mate did'nt think it fair.

I would agree, calling Thais in general racist because of this would be racist.

But it is not plain stupid to point out that the policy is racist by definition - but it is plain stupid to deny the obvious fact that it is.

I dont think its racist by definition at all, The law is to let the nationals in for a cheaper rate, every country in the world have rules for there native people and rules for foreigner for all sorts of things.

I mean even immigration rules, different countries have different rules for visitors etc.

Slightly off topic -

Last year I was booking a hotel in Singapore, through the internet, and was intrigued to to see the message "Note: This price is not available to Singapore citizens". Suggests they were giving discount to foreigners and charging their own citizens more! Weird.

G

Slightly off topic -

Last year I was booking a hotel in Singapore, through the internet, and was intrigued to to see the message "Note: This price is not available to Singapore citizens". Suggests they were giving discount to foreigners and charging their own citizens more! Weird.

G

Not suprising, the same thing happens here as well. sometimes for "Thai" only, and other times for "foreigner" only.

I booked mrstoad into a hotel a few years back on the internet, when she arrived to check in they said that she could not have the room rate quoted as she was Thai, and would have to pay more.She then phoned me from the hotal complainig about it .I told the Hotel to take a hike, and quickly booked her into a better hotel down the road. I didn't save any money and there was slight inconvenience, but it was the principle of it. They ended up with zilch money. Double pricing sucks, end of it.

Not suprising, the same thing happens here as well. sometimes for "Thai" only, and other times for "foreigner" only.

I booked mrstoad into a hotel a few years back on the internet, when she arrived to check in they said that she could not have the room rate quoted as she was Thai, and would have to pay more.She then phoned me from the hotal complainig about it .I told the Hotel to take a hike, and quickly booked her into a better hotel down the road. I didn't save any money and there was slight inconvenience, but it was the principle of it. They ended up with zilch money. Double pricing sucks, end of it.

Yeah, the Kao San Road embarrassment! Happened to me as well, went to a guest house with the missus to celebrate Songkran on Kao San Rd. We couldn´t get a room as she was Thai. I just couldn't believe it.

I get into National Parks for the Thai price when I show a Thai Driving license, if the policy was racist my Thai driving license would mean nothing, I would still be white therefore I would be discriminated against because of the colour of my skin.

It isn't racist at all.

I get into National Parks for the Thai price when I show a Thai Driving license, if the policy was racist my Thai driving license would mean nothing, I would still be white therefore I would be discriminated against because of the colour of my skin.

It isn't racist at all.

Correct. The policy is "tourism" not "racism".

Look why is it so hard for people to call a spade a spade? Yes some ( a small % IMHO)Thais are racist, the policy of private institutions charging a group of people more than their own because of the color of their skin/passport is racist. Period. You think Thais don't have their own racial bias like everyone else? Ask a thai woman how she would feel about marrying a Burmese, or a Cambodian. I'm not trying to change them I'm just saying have some respect for your self and boycott those that think its ok to rip you off because of where your from or the color of your skin.

Accepting everything without complaining, would make you a brainless sheep in my humble opinion.

No offence, old pal, but I think you're overstating the value of your opinion slightly

That's the beauty of opinions, they are mostly overstated and influenced by personal interpretation.

That's also why opinions differ and keep discussions interesting!

I find double-pricing terrible and humiliating and feel that we should voice our concerns. Coming from a culture with direct communication and expression, I feel that not complaining would make me a sheep, someone who accepts things for what they are. Basically, the mai pen rai mentality.

There are, nevertheless, many advantages being white in this country. Kind of balances it out!

It isn't racist at all.

That is not always true. For me, with Thai Driver's, WP, Tax ID, and spoken Thai it runs about 50/50 at the National Parks.

Look why is it so hard for people to call a spade a spade? Yes some ( a small % IMHO)Thais are racist, the policy of private institutions charging a group of people more than their own because of the color of their skin/passport is racist. Period. You think Thais don't have their own racial bias like everyone else? Ask a thai woman how she would feel about marrying a Burmese, or a Cambodian. I'm not trying to change them I'm just saying have some respect for your self and boycott those that think its ok to rip you off because of where your from or the color of your skin.

I'm still white and still not Thai, I get in for Thai price when I show a Thai License, so tell me how it's racist ?

If I was charged purely for being white or not having Thai nationality, how do I get in for the Thai price when producing a Thai License ?

It's not racist old chap, it's touristist.

It isn't racist at all.

That is not always true. For me, with Thai Driver's, WP, Tax ID, and spoken Thai it runs about 50/50 at the National Parks.

Yeah, but I'm good looking :o

Yeah, but I'm good looking :D

Dang. You may have got me there. I've put on 20 kg in the last 2 years. Definitely getting a bit flabby about the middle. :o

Jeez mate, I think you should change your nick to....Waytoomuchsugarinthecoffee :D

Many claim that the multi-tiered pricing scheme is not racist. I truly think it is. Otherwise, the State Railroad of Thailand, Bangkok Noi station, would allow foreigners with a workpermit and/or Thai drivers license to travel the train at the Thai price. Instead, all white and black skinned foreigners are informed that "you falang, you pay" by the ticket seller REGARDLESS OF PAPERWORK. I know this for a fact, as my wife is from Kanchanaburi and we like to use the train for travel. This policy FROM THE NATIONAL GOVERNMENT has been in force for two years. I've even gone so far as to show work permit, nonB visa, drivers license, and marriage certificate . . . all to no avail. They have even tried to make my two year old son pay the 100 baht fair. A trip back home and a presentation of his birth certificate shut them up. The apologists can call it what they want. But it is skin-based racism.

It isn't racist at all.

So if I go to a national park with my Thai wife should i pay Thai or UK price? Properly married 2 years ago in Thailand with certificate. My wife is not happy I have to pay the "tourist" price. Surely a wedding certificate should suffice?

It isn't racist at all.

So if I go to a national park with my Thai wife should i pay Thai or UK price? Properly married 2 years ago in Thailand with certificate. My wife is not happy I have to pay the "tourist" price. Surely a wedding certificate should suffice?

what is your current immigration status ? national parks "usually" ok you with a work permit.

I do however think that legal non-thai family members should be allowed regardless of their immigration status.

I see people who will call out racist just because they are not treated like a Thai national. Thats absurd, because like ive said before, All nationals of all countries have different rules to vistors, the nationals always have it easier and the nationals have discounted prices on things ALL OVER THE WORLD. Now people bringing up they must be racists because a Thai woman wont marry a burmese? Where did that come from?

I believe this is just a "Lets build our self esteem" topic.

I know that two tier/double pricing topic has been discussed many times before on Thai Visa forums, but, I would like to know if any actions, such as a class action lawsuit could be brought upon establishments who are doing this. I feel that the two tier/double pricing policy is racist by those who are initiating it. This does not include having reduced prices for children or seniors. It is the policy of charging more just because you are not Thai.

Would it be possible for an Expats Club, for instance, to make a case of this on behalf of non-Thai resisidents of the Kingdom to make a point?

On a recent holiday I noticed a number of places charging much more for farang, than for Thais. Included are Chiang Mai Night Siffari--250 baht for a Thai, and 500 for the Farang partner. Tiffany's Cabaret (Pattaya) 250+baht for the Thai and 500+baht for the Farang. They even have the nerver to put the Thai price in Thai script so the Farang won't know. We all know the national parks more than double the prices for Farang. It even went as far as hotel reservations and a membership card at the Royal Twins Palace in Pattaya. A loyalty (discount) card for a Thai is 300 baht, and 350 if in the Farangs name. When my Thai partner called for a room rate with the loyalty card, the quote was 1290 baht. When I called with the loyalty card number, the quote for the same room type was 1790 baht.

My whole arguement is not just the money differential--it is the principle of the way Thai businesses and institutions discriminate and charge Farang more because we lack "colour".

If a class action suit is not a possibility against the establishments and institutions who do this, I was wondering if we could establish a list of every place in every City and Town that has this policy, and as residents, we could decide beforehand if we wish to patronize places that do have this practice of two tier double pricing.

I realize that many of us foreigners are alot wealthier than most Thais, but their are many Thais that are wealthy, too--and why are they not penalized as well with higher prices, so I would appreciate posts be left out stressing that we have more money than they do--so we should be expected to pay more--be more directed to the topic that it is "unfair" and "racist" to charge more to people of different colour.

Wasting your time. You are of course right but some things will NEVER change in Thailand.

Thai rak Thai. Thai charge farang double for everything.

Nobody said it was a fair Country but it sure has it's perks :o

It isn't racist at all.

What is not said in your message is that you were (probably ?) asked for the falang price first, based on your face !

This is racism, you look "falang", I ask you "falang-price" !

Thailand is not the only place where this occurs, of course, but it is not an excuse !

I was once in Bali (off-peak) with my wife (which looks very much "indonesian").

Going to the volcano temple, I was the only one to be asked to pay, the only one to walk the slope, and the only one to be banned entry to the temple !

I totally agree with foreigners having to pay more for everything, I feel very bad that my country doesn't do the same to the tourists who go there, and I hope one day soon my countrymen will smarten up. It's not racist as a few of you say, and it only makes good economic sense. Get while and when you can, right?