Cheap Furniture

elephantkungfu

Where's a good place to buy cheap(ish) furniture for a house: beds, tables, chairs, sofas, desks... that sort of thing. Had a quick look in the supermarkets and Homepro, but everything seems quite expensive.

Also, are there any good second-hand furniture places around?

Thanks...

Where's a good place to buy cheap(ish) furniture for a house: beds, tables, chairs, sofas, desks... that sort of thing. Had a quick look in the supermarkets and Homepro, but everything seems quite expensive.

Thanks...

Chang Moi road is the most obvious place and the place that no shortage of other folk will direct you to I'm sure.

Thanks...

Keep track of the Thaivisa classifieds and other classifieds websites, Google is your friend. Chang Moi is good advice. If you want to design your own, consider contacting workshops out in the Ban Taway area or elsewhere (Lamphun has a 'furniture/carpenter village' too) to get a quote for your own designs. Won't necessarily be cheap though.

Failing that, make many friends with lots of money and rejoice when they leave Thailand for good, because you will be able to buy their fancy teak furniture and luxurious home appliances for a tuppence. :o

The furniture you can get in supermarkets and Chotana road is the chip board covered in vaneer rubbish. Unfortunately Thailand doesn't have any trees. The place to go to buy this stuff is Ban Maa (Maa as in horse). This is where they manufature it and sell wholesale to Chotana rd etc... You need to take the superhighway heading to Lamphun, as you pass Lamphun you will see several orange sellers at the road side, pass the Cosmo petrol stn and look for the soi with a liitle roof arch thing. That will take you into Ban Maa and there are loads of shops for about five kilometres. You'll obviously need a truck (they will deliver, but it cuts into the money you'll save) and if you can take a Thai to barter for you so much the better. Go to a supermarket and make a list of prices then go to Ban Maa and you'll see how much you save. They do have varying prices for different levels of quality.

Alternatively, if you want something a little better then go to Ban Tawai. Take the Hang Dong road, as you get to hang Dong the road bottlenecks. Carry on to the traffic light and turn left. Go for about three kilometres (you'll see some expensive shops on theis road, really nice furniture) until you cone to an arch roof thing over the road and turn right. You'll know your on the right road because there's a shop on the left with loads of things made out of wagon wheels. Most of the furniture is on the right side towards the end of the main straight road. The stuff they sell here is real wood, albeit not they standard of wood that we expect back home. But it's better than the vaneer that peels off after a year or so. Again, different prices for varying quality.

The furniture you can get in supermarkets and Chotana road is the chip board covered in vaneer rubbish. Unfortunately Thailand doesn't have any trees. The place to go to buy this stuff is Ban Maa (Maa as in horse). This is where they manufature it and sell wholesale to Chotana rd etc... You need to take the superhighway heading to Lamphun, as you pass Lamphun you will see several orange sellers at the road side, pass the Cosmo petrol stn and look for the soi with a liitle roof arch thing. That will take you into Ban Maa and there are loads of shops for about five kilometres. You'll obviously need a truck (they will deliver, but it cuts into the money you'll save) and if you can take a Thai to barter for you so much the better. Go to a supermarket and make a list of prices then go to Ban Maa and you'll see how much you save. They do have varying prices for different levels of quality.

Alternatively, if you want something a little better then go to Ban Tawai. Take the Hang Dong road, as you get to hang Dong the road bottlenecks. Carry on to the traffic light and turn left. Go for about three kilometres (you'll see some expensive shops on theis road, really nice furniture) until you cone to an arch roof thing over the road and turn right. You'll know your on the right road because there's a shop on the left with loads of things made out of wagon wheels. Most of the furniture is on the right side towards the end of the main straight road. The stuff they sell here is real wood, albeit not they standard of wood that we expect back home. But it's better than the vaneer that peels off after a year or so. Again, different prices for varying quality.

The furniture at talat Thanin is simple and cheap. But the vaneers are very few. Mostly simple wood construction.. and cheap

I bought a king size bed this week from Ban Maa made from real wood (o.k. box wood) which I had delivered for free because I told them not to varnish it. I rubbed it down and stained it myself and it look fantastic. The bed was B3,000 and the varnish and sand paper came to less than B1,000. A great looking wooden bed that will last for years and years for less than B4,000. You go to Index or SB and pay B10,000+ for a bed and in a few years the vaneer will be peeling off.

Driving clockwise around the super highway go past Carrefour and Index Living Mall. No more than a kilometer along the road has a slight curve to the left and on that corner is a furniture shop that is very cluttered with stuff but don't worry about that. Staff speak English and prices are open to negotiation. Much cheaper than others, deliver / assemble all inclusive :o

Driving clockwise around the super highway go past Carrefour and Index Living Mall. No more than a kilometer along the road has a slight curve to the left and on that corner is a furniture shop that is very cluttered with stuff but don't worry about that. Staff speak English and prices are open to negotiation. Much cheaper than others, deliver / assemble all inclusive :D

thats right. and that would be Chan Furniture. :o also no double standard pricing for farangs against the locals ! a lot of happy farang customers.

Edited by tigerbeer

Thailand doesn't have any trees? are you sure about that 'teacherofwoe'?

Trees suitable for making furniture.

You are aware that 75% of the trees were cut down and not replanted, aren't you? Most wood comes from immature trees which is why most furniture that's made from wood is made from small pieces. If you want something made from a large piece of wood, you need to pay through the nose as it's probably imported. The rich go to places like Pai and buy old teak houses, dismantle them and take them back to Bangkok. I've been scouring Chiang Mai for a decent piece of hardwood for ages. No joy.

Thailand doesn't have any trees? are you sure about that 'teacherofwoe'?

Trees suitable for making furniture.

You are aware that 75% of the trees were cut down and not replanted, aren't you? Most wood comes from immature trees which is why most furniture that's made from wood is made from small pieces. If you want something made from a large piece of wood, you need to pay through the nose as it's probably imported. The rich go to places like Pai and buy old teak houses, dismantle them and take them back to Bangkok. I've been scouring Chiang Mai for a decent piece of hardwood for ages. No joy.

Thailand is full of rubber and mango wood. Rubber used to make various kinds of furniture, you name it, they have it. Mango wood more for small handicraft kinda thing. Teak is also widely available but not as mature wood as we would like it to be.

I made some purchases recently at Chan Furniture- great prices and one of the staff there was a most likeable chap with excellent English!

I also have bought misc. items at Index Living Mall- sort of a Thai version of Ikea located nearby.

Of course Chang Moi Rd, as well.

Those would be my top choices in this price category.

I've been scouring Chiang Mai for a decent piece of hardwood for ages. No joy.

You don't say what size you are after but you could take road 1001 (goes through Mae Jo) north for about 50 kilometers and you can't miss a large teak log processing place on the left hand side of the road just past a forest development village. All legit wood - take your pick from lots of decent logs. Don't know if they process it but I'm sure that they could point you in the right direction to someone who can.